The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Felt Soles Revisited (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/300957-felt-soles-revisited.html)

akruss 10-30-2012 06:40 PM

Felt Soles Revisited

I sorely miss felt soles and have found everything else to be a bit slippery. I have a pair of Korkers wading shoes with interchangable soles. What do you think of using a separate set of felt soles for different streams/rivers? I'd think it would greatly reduce the chance of spreading invasives. Living in Florida, where I don't wade at all except for sandy beaches, I don't get all that much chance to fish freestone streams and wouldn't really need all that many soles. I take the threat of invasives seriously but wonder if this would work. What say ye?

wtl 10-30-2012 09:23 PM

Re: Felt Soles Revisited

The problem is one of convenience. Ultimately, we are all capable of ridding our current felts of hitchikers. But it takes time and or effort.

Having different felts for different streams (IE, labeling one set of boots "Deschutes" and another "Umpqua" and another "Mcleod" would solve the problem...if we could have enough for each unconnected water. But soles cost money, and you have to keep track, and we cant get the less concerned anglers to go through the trouble.

So the search for a silver bullet continues.

Hardyreels 10-30-2012 10:33 PM

Hi Akruss,

Do you have a wading staff? I have been using the rubber with studs since orvis introduced the Henry's Fork boot with the studded rubber sole in the early 90's. Although I don't have major problems with the grip that the Simms Rivershed with cleated rubber I'm wearing now provides I do put a Folstaff on my belt if I intend to get risky in where I tread. The folding shock corded aluminum staff's are light and stay out of the way when you don't need them but give you added security when it matters. I really like mine,

Ard

turbineblade 10-31-2012 03:52 AM

I don't fish cold waters often, and plan to start using my korkers felt inserts in any rocky waters since I've come to realize that the rubber soles are nearly useless -- I don't care what the marketing people spout. It's BS.

I don't care what anyone says or thinks -- it's not illegal to use felt soles in Virginia, and my wife and I are not risking our safety out there any more.

bugslinger 10-31-2012 04:35 AM

Stopping these invasive life forms is impossible . We can wear the latest foot wear , wash everything in a antibacterial solution but animals will still spread these buggers. All that we can do is use common sense when we wade a new body of water and hope what we are carrying doesnt kill the thing we love.

turbineblade 10-31-2012 04:54 AM

I think maybe my previous post is a little too strong. I am concerned about spreading invasives -- but it hacks me off that a good, safe tool for wading is replaced with worthless vibram **** that is not even 1/3 as effective. The only thing I think vibram works well for is the heavily silted urban streams here in town. Anywhere else they almost worse than nothing.

From what I've read, the metal studded rubber soles are about equal to the felt soles....but (what a surprise) you have to purchase them separately, unlike the felt soles. If that's the case, make these standard issue and quit nickel and diming the only people who support your fisheries! (anglers and hunters by far contribute more to protecting these resources than any other demographic).

bugslinger 10-31-2012 05:21 AM

Please dont misunderstand my statement. I have 6 pairs of wading boots and 6 pair of waders that are matched to the waders and I wear them in the same water so I dont spread snail snot,whirling , and God knows what else. My statement is an honest one if you think it through. Many animals use water for food,cover,and transportation. If you think they stay in the same creek,run,river and dont cross over into others (if available) you are fooling yourself. We can only slow down the progression of these organisims, not stop what is already here.

wt bash 10-31-2012 07:38 AM

I've been using the Korker's baseline rubber sole, ustudded, for a solid year now wading shale, cobble, and the mix you find on mountain streams and find I have better grip than felt. The rubber cuts through the snott better and doesn't get all torn up on the trail in or on roads. I feel better with rubber soled boots and if it helps in any way to curb the spread of invasives then its bonus.

gutz1 10-31-2012 09:10 AM

I just tried out the patagucci aluminum bar wading boots and they are incredibly sticky. I've read a couple of websites where people are making their own bar boots from 1/8 x 3/4 aluminum bar stock screwed into their wading soles.

If you're that unhappy with your rubber soled boots, you should try making your own- If you're going to buy some felts anyway, why not give it a go?

fredaevans 10-31-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugslinger (Post 495014)
Please dont misunderstand my statement. I have 6 pairs of wading boots and 6 pair of waders that are matched to the waders and I wear them in the same water so I dont spread snail snot,whirling , and God knows what else. My statement is an honest one if you think it through. Many animals use water for food,cover,and transportation. If you think they stay in the same creek,run,river and dont cross over into others (if available) you are fooling yourself. We can only slow down the progression of these organisims, not stop what is already here.

With Korker's a different bottom (set) will run you forty bucks? Why not ... save for the rest of the boot has been where its been.

fae