The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 09:33 AM

npcor2010 is on a distinguished road
Default Landing net holder

Just got a Stevens net. Wondering about the options for carrying it. Seen French clip, magnets, belt holder from Smith Creek. Or should I just stuff it in my waders?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:44 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Landing net holder

I use the magnets. Keeps it handy and out of the way.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:47 AM

akruss will become famous soon enough

The best net holder I ever had was my son, but he grew out of the job.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:13 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I use a "Dual D Ring" (DDR) system on my vest for holding my net and my wading staff.

The DDR is a part of a velcro hook and loop system. The upper D ring is on the hook portion and can be removed and the lower D ring is integrated into the loop section. This is sewn on the lower left side of my fishing vest.

The end of the wading staff (Folstaf) cord is attached to a french clip

When I deploy my Folstaff I clip the end of it to the permanent D ring with the french clip so I can let the staff go. It will remain attached to my vest. I release the staff if I want to tie on a fly or use my landing net, etc.

The other D ring is attached to the handle of my net by a coiled net holder. The top of my net is attached to the by a magnetic net release to the D ring on the top rear of my vest.

This DDR system allows me to drop either my net or my wading staff and they will remain attached to my vest. I can never lose my net if it gets hung up by a tree branch and falls off while walking to or along the river. Yet I can use the Velcro release to free it from my vest if I want to let my fishing partner use it.

I bought this DDR system at a fly shop but it has been years since I have seen it for sale. It can be easily made with plastic D rings and velcro webbing.

In the photo below you can see the two D rings. The net is attached to the up one that is attached by velcro and the lower on is the one that is permanent and used for the wading staff.

Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-31-2012, 11:42 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post

I use the magnets. Keeps it handy and out of the way.
Ditto. That net magnet is the cat's pajamas.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 10-31-2012, 05:12 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

French clip. Keep It Simple. I guess the magnet thing works ok if you're not brush busting.. I'd leave it behind me in about 2 minutes. I improve the French clip by cutting coarse crosshatching in the surface with a Dremel, and attach it to a large split ring, attached to the vest.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I seldom use the nets but when that time rolls round I have the magnets. One has the poly sort of phone cord lanyard and the other an elastic cord.

For your consideration: I use a very narrow wire tie / zip tie and attach the net magnet to the center of the bow of the net and clip the lanyard to the handle. This allows for the net to ride with the bow up and handle down helping to keep the net bag clear of limbs and brush.

This one has the cord and I zip tied the magnet to the center of the bow, it is a long handled net so keeping the bag up is a must.

I think this one was sold by Orvis and it came with the nylon strap for bow mounting of the magnet. It is just a small Brodin for little fish but still I like to reach back and find the handle right about my belt line or just above.

I've used the French clips and the old fashioned key retractors for nets before these little gems came to the marketplace; I like these,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Whichever you choose, the magnet or clip (I like the magnet), be certain to use a bungy or coil like Silver shows to keep it attached to 'you' even if you are not holding it or the clip or magnet gets pulled loose from brush. I have lost two nice Brodin nets while kneeling in shallow water focused on reviving a fish after it was netted, the net left to sit next to me. By the time the fish swam away...my net did too!
Hardyreels and npcor2010 like this.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I need to fish down stream of you John

Silver Creek's set up is slick!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-31-2012, 10:44 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I need to fish down stream of you John

Silver Creek's set up is slick!
No kidding! The first one was on the Madison about 12 years ago, so I have no worries that some lucky angler found it the next morning.

The second was last summer on a local lesser fished stream...I think the river god owns that one.
crruns likes this.