The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 02:54 PM

evan_aff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Release of our new Kraken Fly Reel - Allen Fly Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
Looks like a well built reel. BUT, I'm glad your company is open about having everything manufactured in China. So many other companies make it near impossible to find this out... whereas those that keep the mfg jobs here in the USA proudly display Made in the USA on every package, pamphlet, and item distributed. The honesty and clarity is commendable.
Both of us come from families who manufacture in the USA, so it's high on our priority list to get USA products in our lineup, and are doing so as we can. Next up will be some new rods we'll be announcing soon.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:28 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

doesnt cork have a lower start up inertia than fiber? also what is the max drag on the kraken just out of curiosity.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
doesnt cork have a lower start up inertia than fiber? also what is the max drag on the kraken just out of curiosity.
It does have a lower startup inertia, which was one of the deciding factors as well. As far as an exact reading on the stopping power, give me a few days to get my new office set up so I can pull up all my notes. I'm still in the process of moving, so all of my important stuff hasn't been put in its place yet. Sorry about that.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to beholdallenflyfishing is a splendid one to behold

Evan, thanks for replying to that post. However, I would like to point out that not everything is mfg in China. We do have our rods made in Korea and a few new products being made here.

With starting a company being cash flow positive is important. Or you are just running an expensive hobbie. As anyone starting or running a business would agree to.

My credibilty runs deep with my family having a Plastic Injection Molding Company since 1961 and proudly employee many workers in this country. I also ran the company for 8 years. Then in 2007 I left the companies payroll when the world went into a global slowdown. My plant manager just has twins and I did not want to lay him off. I worked for a year with no pay... btw.. this is how AFF was started. I was loyal to the business and we made it work by not having to lay anyone off during those times.

We have the same machines that make fly reels (several of them in fact). From the start of AFF its been on the list to have a reel made here. I have machined several in the past on an old South Bend Lathe and Bridge Port machines (ol' school style). I made my first mold when I was 16 with my father for an RV company. I have an extensive background in this and take great pride in it.

Also, keep in mind. I started with just me and now proudly employ 3 full time workes in this country. We are the new company and this topic seems to always come up. We have a business plan that allows us to grow and expand with mfg from all over the world including this country. When the time comes that we can provide "vaule" at a price that I see fit we will release domestic products in this world economy. (few of them will be in the next 60 days)

Our focus is to provide "Value" to all products we make. This is the core to our business. The Value allows us to determain price and thus figuring out the best plans for producing the product.

---------------

btw, thanks for everyone that said congrats on our first baby. We had her at 7:32am today. She's in the ICU right now, but things look good. LOVE my little baby girl Logan
mojo, fysh, caseywise and 1 others like this.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:47 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome to this world logan!
my daughter is turning 6 in january...oh how the time flies

casey

ARFE
Old 11-04-2012, 07:11 PM
sbreech

Congrats on the future fly fisher...er...baby! Cherish the moments - they grow up quickly. Mine will be driving soon...
Old 11-05-2012, 04:05 AM

kalgrm will become famous soon enoughkalgrm will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenflyfishing
However, I don't think what your comment about "Marketing" having us fall to it is all that true. In fact it's the opposite.

….

As we grow, it's important for us to be 100% sure a product we are producing stands up to our standards and those that use our reels.

This is the type of things that are keeping us ahead. Also, enjoying what we do for a living.

Thank you

Justin
Fair enough, and on reflection, I should apologise. My comment was meant as a generalisation rather than a criticism of of Allen in particular. However, that's how it came out, and for that, I'm sorry.

For all I know, it's me who has been seduced by the marketing hype, being convinced - as I am - that CF drags are where it's at. It may well prove that cork drags are indeed the best option and it's only clever marketing that has led me to believe otherwise.

I know that your reels are great and I'll continue to buy them. I haven't tried the rods yet, but one day, I will.

Welcome to the world, Logan.

Cheers,
Graeme
Old 11-05-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalgrm View Post
For all I know, it's me who has been seduced by the marketing hype, being convinced - as I am - that CF drags are where it's at. It may well prove that cork drags are indeed the best option and it's only clever marketing that has led me to believe otherwise.
They both have their place. If this weren't a sealed drag, I'd go with a carbon disc 100% of the time. There are fantastic reels with both types of drags out there.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:19 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

For those of us who have used draw-bar actuated, cork compost, disc drag reels like Abel, Tibor and Islander (and Seamaster, Fin Nor and Catino before them) for big game fishing for a long time, we know how good and easy to maintain cork drag surfaces are. And these draw-bar reels have put the screws to some of the biggest fly-caught fish in the world.

Sure, like many of us, I am using more and more sealed and synthetic stacked drag surface reels as they, along with the newest rods, get lighter and better. Keep in mind though that Allen's research indicating the superiority of cork surfaces is supported by Tibor's "Signature" and Nautilus's NV; these two very highly regarded and respected reels also utilize cork in a sealed assembly.

Amazing how a bit of unusual tree bark can embody properties unequaled by space age material science!
Old 11-08-2012, 02:42 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

After playing around with the Kraken that was waiting in my mailbox when I got back from fishing today, I must pass this on: you should buy this reel. I am a huge fan of both the Alpha II and Trout series reels, but this reel raises the bar. I'm chomping at the bit to try it out. I was going to chase inland trout tomorrow but may change that plan to lake-runners just to give the new reel a spin!! The build quality is excellent, the anodizing is crisp (of course I got the colored version rather than the stealthy black one ), and the reel spins true. The drag feels great all the way across the spectrum from off to full, and the incoming and outgoing click is subdued and pleasant. Is it possible that it's already my favorite reel and I haven't used it yet?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...