The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 05:28 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Re: Release of our new Kraken Fly Reel - Allen Fly Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Keep in mind though that Allen's research indicating the superiority of cork surfaces is supported by Tibor's "Signature" and Nautilus's NV; these two very highly regarded and respected reels also utilize cork in a sealed assembly.
Not that I disagree with you, but in an interview Kristen Mustad explains why Nautilus uses cork:

People are still fishing cork. Cork was invented generations ago. The main reason we use it in our CCF reel (it’s cork and carbon fiber, that’s what the CCF stands for) is for marketing purposes. Carbon fiber is way superior to cork, but the whole big game crowd was so into cork because it is “so forgiving, compressible, has memory…” so we said, OK, let’s include cork so the big game guys can see that and say, “Hey, it’s got cork, it’s gotta be OK.”
Old 11-09-2012, 07:39 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Biggie, This is big news! I fish a Nautilus NV and really like it. Its drag is very smooth and highly adjustable and the reels proportions (w/ a Giga spool) are great. Mounted on my NRX it is one advanced tech and coolly lethal outfit. Bonefish see it and run the other way (maybe its just my clumsy wading). It is remarkable to me that K. Mustad said that! It was definitely not a factor in my purchase decision despite my decades of applying neatsfoot oil to cork discs. If he did a carbon fiber only drag it would be fine with me. I rely on the creativity of reel (and rod) designers to incorporate the materials and design elements that are most effective...I am not a materials engineer (though I make believe I am on this forum), I am a fisherman. Well, his reel works great anyway but it is amazing he would use cork for marketing especially since you can't even see it. The other sealed drag reels I am fishing are Hatch and Fortuna X; I wonder if I should cut up a wine cork and scotch tape pieces onto them?
Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all

The Kraken size #5 having some weekend success. Evan's been out having some fun with his local chums!

Kraken Reel Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:18 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

thats a nice fish evan!!
those chum salmon certainly are colorful.

casey

ARFE
Old 11-12-2012, 08:53 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

how do we disengage the click?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Disengage the click? But it's so understated and pleasant! In all honesty, as someone who generally dislikes the sound of an incoming click, I really like the purring of the Kraken both incoming and outgoing.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...