The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all
Default Release of our new Kraken Fly Reel - Allen Fly Fishing

Wanted to share the release or our new Reel to the NAFFF family.

Kraken Reel Series - Allen Fly Fishing Store

The Kraken delivers on all criteria laid out by our guides and pros who get their thrills from pursuing the biggest, fastest fish this sport has to offer. Featuring our first sealed drag system, it is ready to take on whatever situation your freshwater and saltwater situation calls for. With its incredibly lightweight design machined from aerospace grade bar stock aluminum, you'll be able to hold the arm fatigue at bay without sacrificing structural integrity. The Kraken is also our first reel to feature a V cut spool to guide your backing on evenly during your most high speed fish battles!

Thanks everyone,

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:14 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: Release of our new Kraken Fly Reel - Allen Fly Fishing

wow cant wait to hold one. is it roughly the same drag design as the alpha? or is it a new material?
Old 11-02-2012, 07:47 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

You notice that the first question was concerning the drag. I just read the ad description on my email and I went back and re-read to verify that there is no mention of the drag. The drag may not be importand on trout reels but on a reel intended for the salt the drag is very important. Just say'in
Old 11-02-2012, 08:03 AM

evan_aff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
You notice that the first question was concerning the drag. I just read the ad description on my email and I went back and re-read to verify that there is no mention of the drag. The drag may not be importand on trout reels but on a reel intended for the salt the drag is very important. Just say'in
You would be correct, and that was an honest oversight on my part as I wrote the description on our store. This reel has a fully sealed cork drag. We tested out both cork and carbon disc in this reel, and cork won hands down. The carbon disc couldn't match its smoothness when cranked down, and it has quite a bit more stopping power. Being fully sealed off, the risk of damaging the cork from water is eliminated.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:41 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

So it is cork. That is awesome. High quality components
Old 11-03-2012, 05:25 AM

kalgrm will become famous soon enoughkalgrm will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_aff
Being fully sealed off, the risk of damaging the cork from water is eliminated.
Okay, so how do we carry out maintenance on the cork? Is it accessible to allow periodic conditioning (oiling) of the cork?

Cheers,
Graeme
grassonfly likes this.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:23 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

kalgram....you beat me to that question.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:57 AM

evan_aff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalgrm View Post
Okay, so how do we carry out maintenance on the cork? Is it accessible to allow periodic conditioning (oiling) of the cork?

Cheers,
Graeme
Absolutely. It's actually quite easy to pull apart. This cork won't need that frequent of maintenance since it's not exposed to the elements, but a dab of neatsfoot oil once a season or so can only help it.

I plan to do some videos soon to show the process. I'm still moving in to my new office, so hopefully I can get to it very soon.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:24 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I like the inwardly tapered spool design; what is the spool width? What does the cork disc compress against? And in which country is this newest offering made? Thanks
Old 11-03-2012, 12:40 PM

What is the max drag strength?