The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 06:05 PM

fishloris is on a distinguished road
Default Trying to get back into the game...

I feel bad I accidentally posted this in the Euro Forums, but did eventually find the right place.

I canít recall the last time Iíve been so excited to write a forum post that I actually wrote it in Microsoft Word first to make sure it came out right. I want to give a background on me, and fly fishing, and where I am now. Iíve enjoyed fishing my whole life, it was always salt water with my dad. Some of my most boring days, and most exciting moments happened in that time frame. Fishing with a dad is great, and if Iím a dad someday I will make it a priority.

Around the time I went to college, which was conveniently in upstate NY, nestled in the catskills,, I got into fly fishing. I wonít lie, I think I saw a river runs through it and wanted to learn how to cast like that. I was very lucky to be in the middle of the some of the best fly fishing, and also lucky enough to take an actual fly fishing class with a real pro. The best part was, I was getting guide level instruction, and only paying the price of a college credit. Fly Fishing proved to be real real therapeutic for me. I used it as a time to work through things that were bothering me, and just keep my head straight. I did some fun trips during those summers. An especially memorable one was going out west and fishing in Montana. We drove, it was amazing. going

Alas, college ended, I moved to Manhattan and started a career. That was about eight years ago. I haven't fly fished in about that time. Im sure my Reddington 4 weight rod and reel is still in my dads garage. What has changed is I do have finances to travel and buy some new gear. I used to hate the older guys with all the new gear near me though when I was younger, and donít want to become those guys! However I can see how its easy to end up spending a lot on any hobby. Anyway, I want to get back into it. Even if its real slow. Iíll have to re-learn some knots and work on my casting mechanics again I was going to see what shape the 4 weight was in, and look into some waders. I had some old red ball waders that went through hell and back. I think they would still have water in them if I found them. I know the bootless waders with separate boots is the way to go now. For anyone in NYC, what's your best bet to get out and fish? I remember fishing some of the streams in bedford hills/croton area. Anyway, I hope my story wasnít too boring. Would love some feedback on the waders!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Trying to get back into the game...

Welcome to the forum, nice introduction too...........

On feelings about those guys with all the new gear you would never notice me, I fish a 1979 rod for trout most of the time with a reel of the same vintage I'll let the members comment on waders but can say that the Simms Rivershed boots are very nice no matter what wader you would choose. I mention them because I'm wearing a pair this past season and in the coming one as well, very comfy boot.

It has been over 30 years but Carmans River over in Suffolk Co. Long Island was a place I fished for brook trout just one time, one day. Unfortunately this very area just took a very bad hit with the recent storm but keep it in mind for spring. I have no idea of what has changed since 1979.......

Glad to have you here,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-02-2012, 06:28 PM

Thanks, I just stumbled across a pretty informative post about boots Im sifting through now. Yes, its pretty bad here. I also want to reiterate that I most likely will end up getting addicted again and spending lots of money now that I actually can afford it! lol. Hoping I start carefully though..
Old 11-02-2012, 07:06 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome to the forum!
nice intro as well
in regards to your wader question....the ll bean emerger II waders are top notch and are a great deal as well
Men's Breathable Emerger II Waders, Stocking-Foot: Breathable | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

casey

ARFE
Old 11-02-2012, 07:11 PM

Another thing I realized. My Rod was a 2 piece in a massive metal tube that barely fit in my car. I may also be in the market for a travel rod. I kind of recall always wanting a slightly heavier rod. I found that even with the right line my rod would give a lot when casting. I remember trying out a 5 or a 6 and loved how firm it felt. Thoughts on that? Thanks for the kind responses.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Was it this thread? http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ding-boot.html

There are plenty of detailed replies about many brands of boot on that one.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-02-2012, 08:18 PM

yes.. I have a gift certificate from patagonia lying around...had no idea they made boots.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:30 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum ! Fishloris you are surrounded by many great placed to fish! As Ard said the Carmens on LI but you also have the Connetquot as well as the Nissequoge and they are closer. Plenty of streams in Westchester and the Catskills and the Delaware river is not that far. You can fish Central Park of you like Bass and Carp!
And if you like the salt Hudson and East have fantastic spring runs and you have your choice of beaches all over the place.
Any concerns let me know!

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 AM ----------

Oh and there is still some guys wearing Red Balls at Montauk!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-03-2012, 03:19 AM

morayflyfisher is a jewel in the roughmorayflyfisher is a jewel in the roughmorayflyfisher is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum Fishloris.A real nice bunch of people here.

Dont worry about posting on the euro forum,they are a good bunch aswell.

www.morayflyfishing.co.uk
Old 11-03-2012, 05:19 AM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

Nice intro. Welcome to the gang.