The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 07:43 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Finaly...

My favorite Smallie stream has finally dropped and cleared to the point I could fish it. I hit it for the second time yesterday afternoon/evening starting my fishing day at 5:30 or so. As I was putting the waders on one of my buddies was wading down and came up to say Hi. Introduced him to a young fellow that I had invited along, compared flies that we had been working on, and hit the river.

I started with a popper, my usual first choice; I love watching Smallies come up and suck them in. I worked a grass bank at the head of a small island and my buddy was working the back side of the island. He yelled over to me as he was fighting his first fish; white streamer. When Gary says streamer, it's time to tye on a streamer. On my second cast my line tightened up and it was fish on; a little pike about 20 inches. Three or four casts later, I had my first Smallie of the year, felt good after no fishing for May and half of June.

Saw the young fellow downstream and yelled to him to try a white streamer; he tyed the one Gary had given him on and on his 2nd cast hooked up to a nice 16 incher.

We fished until 9:00 or so and met back at the cars, the young fellow was pretty dry; it was one of those hot muggy days. We stood there shooting the breeze a little, and as we were watching the river the Bass went on the feed, chasing minnows. I tyed on a slider, and told the youngster I had to go try for them. He decided he was done for the day, but watched as I headed out. I waded to a point across from the bass and made my first cast and hooked into a nice fat 14 incher. Landed him, made a couple more casts and was into another fat Raisin River Smallie.

I ended my evening with 3 of the feeders landed and 2 more that shook off; and a couple of missed hooksets.

It was a great day of fishing.

Dan
Old 07-22-2010, 08:42 AM

driftless will become famous soon enoughdriftless will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Finaly...

Very nice report Dan, My smallie waters are a lot like a girl I knew in college. High and dirty! It's raining yet again this morning. Looks to be a long summer at this rate!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dan: Nice report, good to see you are finally getting the chance to get after the smallies!

Larry
Old 07-22-2010, 08:57 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Great stuff Dan

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 07-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great news your refurbished shoulder works wellTake some pics for us next time Dan
Old 07-22-2010, 10:43 AM

boreal is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear the water's finally come correct Dan!

I may swing down there tonight if that's the case!

White streamer you say?
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg
Old 07-22-2010, 10:46 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Default Re: Finally...

Headed down again this afternoon to get some fishing in before the storms that were forecast for later in the evening.. Got in the water and started fishing about ten to six in the same spot I finished yesterday; with the same fly. Within minutes I had my first Smallie, a nice healthy 14 incher. Released him and cast back into the same area and missed a strike. Long story shortened, my fishing for the day was over at 6:10 due to thunderstorms moving in. I ended up with three nice Smallies landed and two missed takes; not bad for 20 minutes fishing. With the rain we had and what they're predicting for the next two days, I think my fishing is done for a few days.

Dan
Old 07-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Headed down again this afternoon to get some fishing in before the storms that were forecast for later in the evening.. Got in the water and started fishing about ten to six in the same spot I finished yesterday; with the same fly. Within minutes I had my first Smallie, a nice healthy 14 incher. Released him and cast back into the same area and missed a strike. Long story shortened, my fishing for the day was over at 6:10 due to thunderstorms moving in. I ended up with three nice Smallies landed and two missed takes; not bad for 20 minutes fishing. With the rain we had and what they're predicting for the next two days, I think my fishing is done for a few days.

Dan
Dan: Sounds like you had some great action in a short time. Don't over do the shoulder!

Larry
Old 07-22-2010, 11:26 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta love the smallmouth! I didn't know your shoulder was injured, Dan, so best wishes. I've been struggling with an injured shoulder since 2003, and limit myself to a 4wt rod. It works really well for smallmouth, and my go to pattern right now is a #6 Madame X. While I'd love to go crazy with bigger gear for bigger fish, I'd also like to keep fishing for another few decades. Have you changed your gear or casting technique to protect your shoulder?
Old 07-23-2010, 06:05 PM

Shoulder is much better after the surgery, I'm looking at any casting I do as extra physical therapy... I drove by the river this morning on the way home from PT, it was in great shape after all the rain, so you know where I ended up this morning...

It was a tough day with the heat and the weather front coming through, the fish really made me work today. I ended up with 7 healthy Smallies with 6 being 12" or better. Had to go back to the white streamer most of the day; the last two fish came on a foam hopper.

I'm hoping the rains don't mess me up, but if they do I'll find something to do.

Dan