The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 10:33 AM

trout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to alltrout trekker is a name known to all
Question Obtaining angling privileges and access to public waters?

I thought it might be interesting for us to look at the cost and ease of obtaining angling privileges and access to public waters. I think in most cases, we'd agree that it's money & time well spent.

1) How much do you spend annually on licensing, angling access / day use / parking / launch fees, permits, boat registrations, etc. to engage in fly fishing.
If you purchase those privileges for family members & dependants as well, add those in too.
While substantial, we’re not counting in the cost of travel, lodging or fuel taxes.

I’ll kick it off. Depending on how often we fish outside of the immediate area our cost include.

Two anglers in the household with annual ( Res and Non-Res ) licenses in two states.
Annual state parks pass.
Sundry access passes and parking permits.
Non resident - short term licenses for other states.

Typical Range: $430.00 - $595.00

2) Excluding the cost of travel, lodging etc., are there any public waters that you avoid due to the additional cost of access, licensing, permits, etc?

None that come to mind.

3) Have you ever avoided a public fishery due to the difficulty in obtaining permits, passes, licenses, etc in a timely manner?

Yes.

4) Do you feel that the fees being charged in the areas you fish are fair, or becoming excessive, or do you see them as becoming a limiting factor to your angling in future years?

Never know exactly where life and finances will lead. While I feel that some of the jurisdictions we fish in are a tremendous value for the dollar. If our financial position were to be upset, other areas would probably get cut from our angling budget, if their associated fee's continue to rise at the rate they've been rising over the past few years.

Thanks for participating, TT
Old 11-06-2012, 11:05 AM

inusuit will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Obtaining angling privileges and access to public waters?

[QUOTE=trout trekker;496512]I
1) How much do you spend annually on licensing, angling access / day use / parking / launch fees, permits, boat registrations, etc. to engage in fly fishing.

I buy annual licences in Wyoming (resident) and Colorado, total cost is about $100 for both. Fees are probably under $50 as most places don't charge.

2) Excluding the cost of travel, lodging etc., are there any public waters that you avoid due to the additional cost of access, licensing, permits, etc?

No

3) Have you ever avoided a public fishery due to the difficulty in obtaining permits, passes, licenses, etc in a timely manner?

No

4) Do you feel that the fees being charged in the areas you fish are fair, or becoming excessive, or do you see them as becoming a limiting factor to your angling in future years?

Actually, I'd pay more. This is a huge issue in Wyoming, as many believe that "public" lands somehow support and manage themselves for hunting, fishing, rock climbing, sightseeing, etc. I would gladly pay fees to support our Game and Fish Department, as I believe they do an excellent job. BLM, USFS, NPS etc. see funding cuts on a regular basis. The option to fees is fewer amenities. Wyoming Game and Fish have been very successful in obtaining landowner access to fishing. But they need funds to do it.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:33 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

When you live in New England, there's 6 or 7 other states within a few hours drive and they all have their own license fees.
You pick a couple of states where you plan on fishing that season and you pay your dues.
This year for me it was just Connecticut and Maine. Often I get a Vermont and sometimes a New Hampshire too.
I live 3 miles from Rhode Island and 12 miles from Mass, but you can't get 'um all.
Plus we have a marine license. Fortunately that one is reciprocal with any other state that agrees. So for me that's good in Mass, RI, and parts of NewYork as well as here in CT. That's a good thing cuz just in my kayak I can be in 3 of those state's waters all in the same trip. I got a Maine marine license as well this year, but at $1 it hardly counts

Other than that, I don't normally go where you'd have to pay.
Beach parking fees can be expensive but they're usually enforced only during the heat of summer when the fishing has dropped off anyway.

Is it all fair ? Yeah it is.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:59 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Every year I buy three annual licenses. 1. Illinois (Res) 2. Indiana (non-res) 3. Wisconsin (non res) With each of these trout/salmon stamps are purchased. I figure these three cost around $110/year.

On top of that, I usually buy at least 3 or 4 non-res temp licenses for different states that I travel to for work. I figure this is probably another $60+

I think that some of the non-res fees can be a bit over the top at times, but it is what it is. I'm sure it's still cheaper than the fine if one gets caught fishing without one.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:04 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I normally only buy an annual fishing license in Nebraska (resident) and that costs $28 and goes up each year it seems like. I also buy a Nebraska Parks permit that is $30. This gets me access to all of the public waters in Nebraska. If you want access to private land to fish on, all you normally have to do is ask the land owner and they are happy to let you fish. Hunting is another story....I live 40 miles from the Wyoming border and 15 miles from the Colorado border, so I normally only buy day passes which are around $8. Next year I will most likely buy out of state annual licenses for both Colorado and Wyoming, which will run about $60 each I think.

No.

No.

I feel that the fees for in state park permits and fishing licenses are very reasonable, and would likely pay more. Nebraska is a hidden gem where you can catch anything from tiny brook trout to trophy size pike, walleye, wiper, and trout. The out of state licenses are a little bit more expensive, but they are still reasonable for the most part.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:48 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

1. Texas, New Mexico, Colorado and Oklahoma fishing license, access, state park annual pass New Mexico, pontoon registration. Total @$300

2. No
3. No
4. No

What a steal. I can't believe they stock all the trout, and that's all I must spend for the opportunity to catch all that I can out fox. Plus I get to go after Reds, Speckled Trout, Flounder, Bass, Sunfish, Pike, Carp, etc.

P.S. Lets keep this quite so the game departments don't catch on to us. In 2-1/2 yrs. I'll not have to pay Oklahoma for a license because they honor Texas residents and same with Texas for Oklahoma residents 65 yo. Again lets keep this robbery quite.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:34 AM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

Ever since The River Runs Through It , we have had costs skyrocket for rods,reels,and logistical equipment. Along with them went guide fees,lodging,and air fare. The cost of several licsences resident or not pales in comaparision to what the average 20+ year fly fishers accumilation of equipment has cost them.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:43 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

hmm...
1. MO resident fish and small game hunting plus trout stamp, $26
2. Nope.
3. Nope
4. Yep, I feel the fees charged here are more then fair. if you go to fish in a trout park, there is a $3 daily tag fee but park entrance, parking is free.

So between all the free public access we have here, all Im out is gas for truck and 26 bucks for a year long license im good to go anywhere in the state.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-07-2012, 05:10 PM

flymark is on a distinguished road

1. Oregon resident annual lic. plus salmon/steelhead/sturgeon halibut tag ~$55
Parking at the places I fish that require it - $5 / day or $55 for an annual pass - I average about $80 a year in parking fees. Boat reg on my tin can will run about $40 or so for 2 years - so $20 a year if split up yearly. Add in wife's lic. for ~ $30 and that brings us up to $185 or so for licenses, boat reg, and parking fees.

2. No.

3. Yes. The entire State of Washington. Non res licenses are stupid expensive - and I will say that Oregon's non-res licenses are also insane. I don't believe there should be a difference between resident or non-resident fees. I have not fished in Washington since I was about 18 or so.

4. As stated above - non-res licenses are out of whack expensive and only getting worse. They will continue to curtail my out of state fishing expeditions until my financial situation changes.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:20 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Salmon license, covers all game fish for NB, $50.00. Gets you 8 salmon tags (most never use them).

Public land here is public and there are no extra fees. We do have private waters though which certain holes are privately owned and can be up to $500,000.00 to bye in for a lifetime.