The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 09:36 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Gloves--What's your preference??

when it's cold here (n. illinois) some poly pro liner gloves with the fingers cut at the first knuckle.
in alaska it used to be fingerless wool gloves...pretty much fish till you couldn't tie a knot yet alone strip or cast, then call it quits
for summer, i like dr.shade gloves. very light and really effective

casey

ARFE
Old 11-11-2012, 12:16 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

I typically don't wear gloves while fishing but focus on keeping my core warm so
My extremities sty warm as well. When I was on my schools ski team I picked up the tick of using the back and neck warmers/pain relievers before I put base layers on. It keeps you toasty warm and requires fewer layers!
fredaevans likes this.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:29 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Now that was a new one on me; gotta give that a try. Keeping my hands warm is a major game breaker for me. Circulation issues (hands) and much below 50 degrees on go the gloves.

Carry several sets in the Jeep and will start light and work up from there as it gets colder.That's one one of the joys of using a 2hander, you can use pretty darned heavy gloves and still cast.

Hook a fish, just remove the reel hand one with your teeth.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:32 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknick222 View Post
First off go buy a costco size pack of handwarmers. The best way to keep from getting too cold is to not let your hands freeze to the point where you have to waste valuable time warming them up again.

Secondly, I'd buy a pair of fingerless gloves, I like the Simms Windstopper fold over mittens. They are warm, allow you to use your fingers and allow you to warm up if you get too cold. They also dont hold much water if you happen to get them wet which is inevitable.

Third I would buy a good had of some sort. Most of your heat is lost through your head.
Agree on all fronts here... I bought the new fingerless Simms gloves, then exchanged for the mittens. If I were in really cold climate consistently, I might have kept the fingerless glove-onlys, they have a pocket for a hand warmer built into the palm. Bet you could fit one inside the glove/mitten too however
Old 11-11-2012, 07:14 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Fingerless wool gloves and multiple pairs if necessary, I also have a pair of the Simms fingerless mitten style windstoppers that were a gift this spring but I have not really used them so I can't give you a review on them as of now.
I use a pair of buffs throughout most of the summer but hands down the woolies are the warmest during the coldest of days here in Utah, IMO. I know some of you all deal with a bit cooler temps than I do here, but let’s face it freezing is freezing.
Lastly, I found it hard to find woolies without being fleece lined so I just UN-stitched the fleece and I was good to go.
Cheers,
Watson
Old 01-22-2013, 03:04 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Bringing this thread back, but I have been looking for a good fingerless wool glove and it looks like Cabelas has a good pair, was wondering if anyone here has these gloves and what the quality is on them. From pictures looks like they are good, and I plan on going to my nearest store before I leave Friday, but figured I would see what everyone thought.

Cabela's: Cabela's 100&#37 Ragg Wool 1/2-Finger Gloves
Old 01-22-2013, 11:24 AM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Those look fine, but see if you can find some Fox River fingerless ragg wool gloves. I got mine from REI. They look just like the gloves you referenced, but they're made in the USA.

I also use fleece fingerless gloves with a leather palm patch from Patagonia.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 AM

nyyankees is on a distinguished road

I use Glaciergloves myself. It has a layer of neoprene covered by fleece. In 19 degree weather with snow and rain they have still be comfortable. I like that it has a mitten and a fold-over thumb too.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:53 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Gloves--What's your preference??

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
Those look fine, but see if you can find some Fox River fingerless ragg wool gloves. I got mine from REI. They look just like the gloves you referenced, but they're made in the USA.

I also use fleece fingerless gloves with a leather palm patch from Patagonia.
BR brings up an excellent manufacturer. Have the Fox River socks and they're the best I've ever put on my feet. Knee highs and the bottom of the sock is close to a 1/2 inch thick. Only thing I've ever put on my feet that 'body weight' (and no, I'm not the least bit over weight) didn't crush down to 'nothing.'
Old 01-22-2013, 12:38 PM

long bow will become famous soon enough

I second the posts about kayaking equipment at REI or something like that. I picked up a pair of seal skins and throw some old wool gloves over them, cut fingers on my line hand. The skins aren't insulated but that gives you your closest fit with a H20 proof set of gloves. Hand warmers will make you sweat (IMHO) so think dry and double up. Stay warm and good luck! When it gets really bad, I always pack one of those complimentary shot bottles--those always warm ya right back up