The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Gloves--What's your preference?? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/301554-gloves-whats-your-preference.html)

recriger 11-06-2012 10:39 AM

Gloves--What's your preference??

I went fishing this last weekend and took a pair of gloves along. I was having issue "Feeling" anything on the rod and ended up taking them off after a short time. Yeah... that makes things cold.

What are your preferences for winter equipment. Gloves specifically, form, feel, convenience... Whatever strikes you as important.

Other gear opinions are great as well. Consider me the apprentice, I like the opinions of others.

Thanks.

nicknick222 11-06-2012 10:44 AM

Re: Gloves--What's your preference??

First off go buy a costco size pack of handwarmers. The best way to keep from getting too cold is to not let your hands freeze to the point where you have to waste valuable time warming them up again.

Secondly, I'd buy a pair of fingerless gloves, I like the Simms Windstopper fold over mittens. They are warm, allow you to use your fingers and allow you to warm up if you get too cold. They also dont hold much water if you happen to get them wet which is inevitable.

Third I would buy a good had of some sort. Most of your heat is lost through your head.

inusuit 11-06-2012 11:19 AM

I have an old pair of wool fingerless gloves. I like them because they shed water and retain some warmth even if wet. I also have a fleece pair with the fold-over mitten feature. They were cheap at the feed store. I like them because the pocket on the back that the mitten folds into can also hold the one of the handwarmers nicknick recommended. A hat is also a good idea. Keep the rest of your body warm helps.

fredaevans 11-06-2012 11:51 AM

For the purposes of fishing, most of what you'll find 'designed' for us are complete tosh. If you have access to an out door store like REI or one that has a good selection of Kayak type gear take a look at what they have to offer.

Just got a set from REI that fit like a second skin, water proof, etc., and thirty bucks.

mikel 11-06-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicknick222 (Post 496515)
Secondly, I'd buy a pair of fingerless gloves, I like the Simms Windstopper fold over mittens. They are warm, allow you to use your fingers and allow you to warm up if you get too cold. They also dont hold much water if you happen to get them wet which is inevitable.

me too...a little pricey, but they work well.

okuma 11-06-2012 02:02 PM

Full fingered thin fleece gloves. surgical gloves underneath. Try it!

Hardyreels 11-06-2012 02:08 PM

I like what Mike & Fred have pointed to above.

The waterproof layer with the wool or fleece fingertip-less glove as a top layer seem to be growing in popularity with cold weather guys. I have been wearing the same 2 pair of Woolrich fingertip-less gloves since they were still making them in Woolrich Pennsylvania. They last forever (obviously) and they get me by. When it is too cold for them to offer any comfort it is also usually cold enough that the icing of the rod and line put a stop to the festivities anyway..........

And Mike,

It's really more about how you hold your mouth. Some have tried to tell me that the tongue position is what catches fish or completes a good cast but I tried it and went back to general mouth positioning :D:D

brookfieldangler 11-06-2012 02:09 PM

I mix the fingerless wool ones with some really thin gloves I found in the hunting section of BPS.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Spand...duct/10213706/

It's enough to keep the windchill off the exposed finger but still have 99% of the feel I have without gloves. I bought a few pair of the thin ones so I could swap them out through the day as they get wet.

bradyb 11-06-2012 02:10 PM

fingerless wool and a pocket for the other hand

ted4887 11-06-2012 02:38 PM

Fingerless wool here too. I will also put a pair of the chemical handwarmers in my wader pockets on really cold days.