The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 10:39 AM

recriger will become famous soon enough
Default Gloves--What's your preference??

I went fishing this last weekend and took a pair of gloves along. I was having issue "Feeling" anything on the rod and ended up taking them off after a short time. Yeah... that makes things cold.

What are your preferences for winter equipment. Gloves specifically, form, feel, convenience... Whatever strikes you as important.

Other gear opinions are great as well. Consider me the apprentice, I like the opinions of others.

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:44 AM

nicknick222 has a spectacular aura aboutnicknick222 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Gloves--What's your preference??

First off go buy a costco size pack of handwarmers. The best way to keep from getting too cold is to not let your hands freeze to the point where you have to waste valuable time warming them up again.

Secondly, I'd buy a pair of fingerless gloves, I like the Simms Windstopper fold over mittens. They are warm, allow you to use your fingers and allow you to warm up if you get too cold. They also dont hold much water if you happen to get them wet which is inevitable.

Third I would buy a good had of some sort. Most of your heat is lost through your head.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:19 AM

inusuit will become famous soon enough

I have an old pair of wool fingerless gloves. I like them because they shed water and retain some warmth even if wet. I also have a fleece pair with the fold-over mitten feature. They were cheap at the feed store. I like them because the pocket on the back that the mitten folds into can also hold the one of the handwarmers nicknick recommended. A hat is also a good idea. Keep the rest of your body warm helps.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:51 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

For the purposes of fishing, most of what you'll find 'designed' for us are complete tosh. If you have access to an out door store like REI or one that has a good selection of Kayak type gear take a look at what they have to offer.

Just got a set from REI that fit like a second skin, water proof, etc., and thirty bucks.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:54 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknick222 View Post
Secondly, I'd buy a pair of fingerless gloves, I like the Simms Windstopper fold over mittens. They are warm, allow you to use your fingers and allow you to warm up if you get too cold. They also dont hold much water if you happen to get them wet which is inevitable.
me too...a little pricey, but they work well.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:02 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Full fingered thin fleece gloves. surgical gloves underneath. Try it!
Hardyreels, jpbfly and nickel like this.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I like what Mike & Fred have pointed to above.

The waterproof layer with the wool or fleece fingertip-less glove as a top layer seem to be growing in popularity with cold weather guys. I have been wearing the same 2 pair of Woolrich fingertip-less gloves since they were still making them in Woolrich Pennsylvania. They last forever (obviously) and they get me by. When it is too cold for them to offer any comfort it is also usually cold enough that the icing of the rod and line put a stop to the festivities anyway..........

And Mike,

It's really more about how you hold your mouth. Some have tried to tell me that the tongue position is what catches fish or completes a good cast but I tried it and went back to general mouth positioning
fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-06-2012, 02:09 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I mix the fingerless wool ones with some really thin gloves I found in the hunting section of BPS.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Spand...duct/10213706/

It's enough to keep the windchill off the exposed finger but still have 99% of the feel I have without gloves. I bought a few pair of the thin ones so I could swap them out through the day as they get wet.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:10 PM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

fingerless wool and a pocket for the other hand
Hardyreels and shotgunfly like this.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:38 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Fingerless wool here too. I will also put a pair of the chemical handwarmers in my wader pockets on really cold days.
Hardyreels, jaybo41 and itchmesir like this.