The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 09:03 PM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road
Default Line Recommendation

Just picked up a three forks 3wt and looking for a good DT 3-F line recommendation.....
Old 01-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Line Recommendation

Hi Fishstick,
Try using the "search" feature on top of this page, would be a good place to start.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The SA XPS line would be a good one.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Fishstick,

Here are some specs of SA's XPS and the RIO Selective Trout. Both of these lines would be a good choice. RIO uses a longer front taper and the belly may be a little smaller than the SA. The RIO may be a little more versatile and the SA may roll cast easier. I don't mean to say that the RIO doesn't roll cast well, I am sure it does. I can't say definitively as I have not cast either of these lines. My comments are based on the construction of the two lines as shown in the specs. The two links below will take you to more complete specs.

Frank

SA's XPS
Click the image to open in full size.

RIO's Selective Trout
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

I would recommend the classic peach colored Cortland 444 in a double taper. Super supple and easy casting.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to say the Rio Selective Trout. One thing it is on sale to make room for the II, but the first generation is awesome. I was guiding a client on a windy day. He cast into the wind and the line was so straight, I thought he was snagged, but he lift the line right off the water and laid it out perfectly straight again. It was the DT also.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:46 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I am going to say the Rio Selective Trout. One thing it is on sale to make room for the II, but the first generation is awesome. I was guiding a client on a windy day. He cast into the wind and the line was so straight, I thought he was snagged, but he lift the line right off the water and laid it out perfectly straight again. It was the DT also.
Once again, good call Joni! I don't know that rod at all to suggest another line but for a good, general all-around line the Selective Trout is hard to beat and now that you can find them at a huge discount all around? No brainer for me!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:59 AM

Noted and thanks to all.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Fishstick, don't forget to tell us what line you decided on and how it is working on your 3wt.

Frank
Old 01-15-2008, 10:59 AM

Will do. Still waiting for the rod to arrive.