The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 09:44 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fall2012 : Photo Contest#1

thanks for the pm...

Last edited by tbblom; 11-27-2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: !
Old 11-28-2012, 09:50 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Just one piece of input, I would like to see the anonymity ruled removed, just my opinion though...

Maybe I am just being a stickler, don't expect the masses to change their ways for me, just some food for thought...

P.S. Some really cool stuff submitted thus far, looking forward to seeing everyone's photo's!

Last edited by kwb; 11-28-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:28 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

First of all I apologize to everyone that I have denied photos from for various reasons, due to me trying to keep it anonymous.

My reasoning for that was to simply keep the vote focused on the photo and not the photographer. All photos will be cited after the vote. Maybe its a bad idea or perhaps unnecessary, I would be interested in hearing what you guys think?
I'm sure you guys wouldn't do that anyways right

While I may have thought it was a good idea, I have thought that many things were a good idea and latter found out otherwise. So let me know what you guys think?

It kinda sucks because all the photos I have denied have been potential winners.

However I have held everyone to the same standard, so at least for this go around we will play it as it is and like I said before bear with me I'm still dialing things in.

Second
I guess the only thing left to say is nice Photos to the guys that did manage to dodge my stickler ways and fine print!

Peace,
Watson

Photo taken by:dakotakid
Place of Glory
Click the image to open in full size.

Photo taken by:Didgeridoo
brook

Photo taken by:Lightline
A Hand Full

Photo taken by:Didgeridoo
Defined
mcnerney, ghocevar and theboz like this.

Last edited by watson; 12-18-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Photo Credits
Old 11-28-2012, 10:22 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I think the anonymity makes sense. For one thing, it does focus on the photograph rather than the photographer. Having entries come to you so that you post all the photographs keeps the contest organized.

I think just making the rules clear at the beginning is good. Hopefully the initial confusion this first round has made most of us aware of the rules. Beyond that, would there be a way to allow others to respond on the thread without including photographs? Not sure if that's possible.

Thanks for organizing this, it's great to see the pictures!
Didgeridoo likes this.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:14 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

I agree with the anonymity requirement.

Enjoying all the photos!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:00 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

Another vote for anonymity.

One further note. You haven't made any rules about post-processing. I'd keep that open in a forum like this. Many photo contests have way too many rules about using Photoshop or its friends on contest submissions.

Photo contests in non-professional foums should concentrate on the photo, not on how it was produced.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:30 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I wouldn't mind it if ALL my photos weren't already signed

One thing I will add, having no signature does not make them anonymous, some of the photos in this thread have been posted elsewhere on this forum before by the individual themselves, making it quite clear who shot the photo...

If anonymity is your real intention, you would need to require a rule that each photo submitted had never been posted or shared anywhere other than in the competition...

I think that's where people have an issue with it, the way it was done didn't even achieve the goal, yet excluded some anyway. I think it's a great idea, if it was done in a manner that actually made them totally anonymous...

Would any of you really vote for a photo because of who shot it?

I guess this Winter I will have to shoot some anonymous Winter photos...
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:10 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I work in at a contemporary art museum and know from experience that is nearly impossible to divorce the knowledge of the artist from her art. I have to work very hard to remain as objective as possible when we have to select work for open call exhibitions. As you know, there is a very popular photo thread here with a dedicated group that contributes and shares with one another. To me, it is very easy to understand how when seeing an image that has a signature on it, that signature automatically links to all the other images you've seen of this person, all the conversations, the advice they may have given, etc. Often and unintentionally, our experiences lead our decisions.

I also understand how challenging it is write rules/guidelines (a Prospectus) as Watson has. You can never please everyone, there will always be respectful and sometime less than respectful dissent and critique of the rules. The rules are not personal. They just are. If they eliminate someone, unfortunate and disappointing as it may be, I always tell people that there is always a next time and I hope they will consider participating when they can.

KWB, your critique and objection is reasonable and respectful and I appreciate that for the discourse of this thread and the whole group. But Watson did initiate this project on his own accord, which is pretty cool, and participants should respect the process.

Thank you for listening to my thoughts. I just thought I'd add my perspective which comes from professional experience. I do not mean to take sides, because I don't think there are "sides" in this issue.

Respectfully,

Dean
Old 11-30-2012, 04:51 PM

My responses were meant merely as suggestion and as I stated, I would never expect the masses to make changes for the minority...

You are correct, he did initiate it and that's something I tried very hard to respect regarding everything I said. It's why I edited my first response so much because after re-reading what I posted it came off way differently than intended...

I guess more than anything, I was simply suggesting it was in reality not anonymous the way it was being done, it's just for fun and in no way was I upset...

I too like the idea of doing it the way it is, simply added some input...

Sincerely hope it was taken as friendly input and nothing more...

If it was taken as anything more, I sincerely apologize

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Old 11-30-2012, 05:57 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
My responses were meant merely as suggestion and as I stated, I would never expect the masses to make changes for the minority...

You are correct, he did initiate it and that's something I tried very hard to respect regarding everything I said. It's why I edited my first response so much because after re-reading what I posted it came off way differently than intended...

I guess more than anything, I was simply suggesting it was in reality not anonymous the way it was being done, it's just for fun and in no way was I upset...

I too like the idea of doing it the way it is, simply added some input...

Sincerely hope it was taken as friendly input and nothing more...

If it was taken as anything more, I sincerely apologize

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
I took no offense at all and I don't think you have any reason to apologize. I hope you stick around and keep contributing...you can always add your processed and signed photos to the photo share thread. I for one would enjoy taking a look.
kwb likes this.