The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 12:34 PM

recriger will become famous soon enough
Default -Ohio- How do you enjoy the winter?

To quote my 3yr old.."I don't want (incoherent word- pout-stomp-run away screaming)...". In my case I finish the sentence with "...for the fishing season to be over for the year.".

I would then pout, but that would just lead to ridicule.

I only started fishing this year so the changing of the seasons (for fishing) is new to me. What do you do to make it through the winter?

There is not much on the net about fishing in the winter here in south west (Cincinnati) Ohio. There is 1 Trout hatchery that I know of an hour west of here, but the web makes the rest of it sound dead. The only articles I can find today are about Minnesota and Wisconsin. I feel left out... So:

Do you fish your normal waters, but modify your tactics:

Look for local Trout hatcheries?

Go North for Steelhead?

Or just stay home tying flies with a beer on the bench?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:19 PM

shrek82 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: -Ohio- How do you enjoy the winter?

Recreiger,
-The Mad River up around Urbana fishes better in the winter than in the summer so there's that option.
- Great Lakes steel head are always a blast until about February, but you really have to track the weather forecasts before you head up.
-You can pull up some bass in the winter with large streamers with a slow retrieve, and don't forget the gar.
- And if the weather turns completely to **** there is tying flies and sippin whiskey.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:34 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in Michigan winter was depressing. Not just because of a lack of fishing (besides breaking ice off my guides looking for steelhead) but also because in Southeast Michigan the sky and ground took on the same dull gray for months on end punctuated by snow and ice (I do miss Michigan Fall and Spring, not winter). I tied flies, built rods and looked forward to opening day.
fredaevans and noreaster like this.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:05 PM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

You don't say what you have been fishing for but you can alway chase smallmouth in your local creeks except when the ice is on. I am from east central IN and I hated winter. I still normally don't fish in the winter but a part of good waders should increase your fishing seasons quite a bit. I have been thinking about getting some waders to allow me to fish year round here in TN. I found in IN that the smallmouth tended to school up in the creeks during fall and winter and would not chase food very far. You just had to put in on thier nose. If you miss THE spot by a foot, no bite but I have stood in one spot and cast to the same spot and caught a half dozen smallmout. Finding them was more difficult and sloooow was the name of the game. They hold real tight to cover when it gets cold.

stay warm
Old 11-09-2012, 02:36 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Steelhead tribs and head east to Pa. There is the Mad but from here in Akron I can drive the same distance and be o better water in Pa. Once the ice becomes the norm I retreat to the workroom to work on rods, tie, and pout!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:10 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: -Ohio- How do you enjoy the winter?

...... the cause and solution to all of life's problems

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:36 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Winter Steelheading in Ohio is some of the best fishing this country has to offer my friend! Get off your butt and hop to it! They are fishing good as we speak!

Send me a PM if you want some good info to get you started.
Hardyreels and bradyb like this.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:40 AM

bradyb will become famous soon enoughbradyb will become famous soon enough

Cooper said it. If the ice stays away, you can fish. And the steelhead don't disappear after February. October thru April.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:56 AM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

If the streams and rivers aren't frozen over I'm fishing. Metal heading in the tribs or on the several streams and rivers that hold big Browns . I Change my screen saver and background on my phone and laptop to a warm tropical local. If I'm not fishing I' tying, listing to steel band and Jimmy Buffet music,and waiting till I can fish again. I fish Ohio more now than ever, less people ,more fish . I cheat and spend two weeks at my Sisters place in the Keys fishing for Sharks and warming these old bones up.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:49 AM

ditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura aboutditz has a spectacular aura about

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the best solution is to head to south FL. and catch some of those salties..