The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 02:25 PM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about
Default Book Advice!

Hello Fly Fishing Friends,

Yesterday I finished reading my favorite book (I read it already two times) and I would like to recommend it to you.

The title is "North Of The Sun" from Fred Hatfield. The author provides his own true awing story of his life as a trapper in Alsaka. This book is so fantastic that I could not stop tho read when I got it.

THORSTEN
Old 11-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Book Advice!

Torsten: I lived in Alaska for 16 years so I know that trappers are a rare breed of men. One time while working for Alyeska pipeline I was driving south on the haul road (way north of Fairbanks) and the outside temp was like -35 degrees and I came upon a guy hitch hiking. We weren't allowed to pickup passengers, but I felt sorry for this guy and thought that maybe his car had broken down so I stopped and picked him up. Turns out he was a trapper, lived in a small one room cabin and was headed to Fairbanks for a wedding of a friend. He told me that he hadn't been to town in five years. Hard to believe how these guys can survive in the bush of Alaska year round, especially when the temps plummet way below zero degrees.

Larry
shrek82 and thorsten like this.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:26 AM

thorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura aboutthorsten has a spectacular aura about

Dear Larry,

I think you could be happy that you had the oprotunity to spend 16 years in Alaska, one of the last wild regions on our earth.
Sometimes I wish to spend a couple of years in a single room cabin at a lonely river or lake Because ot that I love to read such books and even as a teenager I loved the stories of Jack London

THORSTEN
Old 11-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Torsten: I'll have to get a copy of that book, once I finish the book on the Winds by Rick Ostofh (sp?). Yes, I was pretty fortunate to have the opportunity to live in Alaska, it s an amazing part of the country.......sometimes ai really miss living there, the fishing and hunting opportunities are almost unlimited.

Larry