The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 08:14 AM

dogdude is on a distinguished road
Default Appropriate chest waders

I have been fighting with myself for some time on this question now. Stockingfoot or bootfoot. The former offer better ankle support. They also take a lot longer to put on. The latter are easier to put on, less support. Of course the stockingfoot are more expensive since boots need bought as well. My wife says to make up my mind because they are coming for Christmas.

Background: I have been fly fishing just over a year now and fish the Appalachians. I am 65, 6-foot, 250 pounds. (Yeah, a bit overweight but I float really well.) I have a bad back from a service injury in '69 and this complicates things. I cannot spend a lot of time bending to my feet, and yet slipping suddenly can pop my back. So.....stockingfoot or bootfoot?

Also, I want quality waders, but don't want to break the bank. Any brand suggestions?

Thanks -- DogDude
Old 11-10-2012, 08:33 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Appropriate chest waders

I have both stocking foot and boot foot and IMO I suspect that you'd be better off with the support of the stocking foot waders.
I use my boot foots almost exclusively in the surf to prevent sand penetration. They're light weight and easy to deal with, but the support is lacking.
My stocking foots I use when fishing rocky trout streams. Not only for the ankle support but the shoes protect your feet from getting banged up too.
The difference between the two is like wearing slippers compared to hiking boots

You can get a good product from Cabela's at a reasonable price.
In the last 25 or so years I've owned 6 pairs of their waders and still have 5.
No complaints ever.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:03 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I like my stocking foot waders. Did some searching to find good prices on waders and on boots. In the summer I like the option of forgoing the waders but having good traction by wearing the boots with neoprene socks/booties.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:00 AM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

In my opinion, there is no comparison to stockingfoot waders for comfort and support. I can understand an an occasional benefit for bootfoot waders, but unless you can afford both, get stockingfoot waders.

Tony
Old 11-10-2012, 10:38 AM

akruss will become famous soon enough

I use wading shoes with the Boa speed lacing system. It makes putting on, taking off and adjusting wading shoes much easier and faster and saves my back quite a bit. A number of manufacturers have wading shoes with this system now.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:51 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Stocking foot all the way, DogDude. With the physical issue you describe and your age (not that you're old, Dude, but maybe not as fleet-footed as you once were) the extra time it takes to pull on the boots and lace them up is well worth the support and comfort of wearing an actual pair of boots that fit as opposed to the fit (or lack of) boot foot waders.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:44 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by akruss View Post
I use wading shoes with the Boa speed lacing system. It makes putting on, taking off and adjusting wading shoes much easier and faster and saves my back quite a bit. A number of manufacturers have wading shoes with this system now.
I'm with 'akruss'. Stocking foot with the BOA lacing system.

Larry
Old 11-10-2012, 04:02 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

The only good use for bootfoots these days are if you are fishing in winter. Stockingfoots will give you the stability you are looking for, the trade off being ease to get on/off.

As for the ease of on and off, like the others the BOA's came to mind. I haven't used the BOA's but if you are considering them and can swing it, look at the Simms version. My local shop used to sell the **** out of Korkers but stopped selling them until their issues were rectified. They also cancelled their entire order and got rid of all of their stock because they had so many problems with them. If you don't want to spend that much and dont mind tying your boots, the Freestone boots from Simms are bombproof and are one of their cheaper set of boots.

As for waders, you could opt for waist high breathables if you aren't wading deep. Those new Orvis Sonic Seams are worth looking at as are Simms Headwaters which is Gore Tex for $299. There is also the Guide Wader for $399. Nothing I have used breathes better than Gore Tex and I have had boots from LL Bean and several pair from Orvis. I am warm natured and appreciate that my G3's breathe as well as they do because that translates into comfort.

Questions for those who use the BOA's: How do they compare support wise to the laces? Have you had issues with them breaking? If so, which brands are you guys/gals using? I always look at stuff like that and think it's just another thing that can break on me and give me problems while fishing. I mean if my lace breaks on the water, I can tie a knot in it until I can get a fresh set in there.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:11 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Appropriate chest waders

For Jollies look here: https://usia.com/shop/waders/

If he can build 'dry suits' good to God only knows how deep, he can do something that's knee deep. $200 bucks for a custom cut. Sounds good to me.

fae
Old 11-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I thanks to a back injury am not as stable as I used to be. I have boot and stocking foot waders. The stocking foot is much less tricky for me. If I wear a lot of socks the boot foot is better. If your back is like mine, I'd go for the stocking foot.