The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 10:09 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Uncommon Hook Supplier?

Hi:

I need a source for really uncommon hooks for tying large streamers, in the order of 3X strong or stronger, and 4X to 6X (or longer).

Also, hoping to locate a hooks bends up and out, away from the shank, and therefore, away from the body of the minnow, rather than close-in to the body.

The purpose is for tying large expoxy threadfin shad minnows.

Hopefully I can get chemically sharpened hooks, but if I can't, I will gladly sharpen the hooks myself.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2012, 10:29 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uncommon Hook Supplier?

You might want to look into how saltwater flies are constructed before deciding on using such hooks. Extra heavy, extra long hooks are going to be hard to cast and the flies will lack action in the water.
Saltwater flies utilize longer material rather than long hook shanks and you can always use a trailer hook to prevent short strikes if you think it will be necessary.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:35 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Agree with Rip Tide. Long might be a problem, but strong & sharp is not. I tie a lot on straight shank worm hooks, sold for plastic baits. Owner, Mustad & Gamakatsu all make some pretty good ones. Some of the hooks sold for making spinnerbaits are also suitable for tying large flies. Mustad has some that have a slightly longer shank. Model # 32608N. I like them for Striped Bass flies.

Owner has a long shank saltwater hook that is 3X strong, but smallest size it's made in is 7/0.

Otherwise, there are various other saltwater hooks that are extremely strong & sharp that may not be sold as fly hooks although finding that length may be an issue.

I've used Eagle Claw 066 style hooks for making Crease flies. They have about a 3X long shank, and the point is offset slightly. They're plenty strong for most fish I've caught on them, but not 4X.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-11-2012, 12:52 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Thanks all:

What I have seen, that I have not tried yet, is an epoxy threadfin shad tied using regular Octopus Hook, and having it exit at a 45 degree angle
right from the throat.

I haven't tried that yet.

The vast majority of the Saltwater Hooks I have seen, have the Stubby Appearance of an Octopus Hook, and there are very few Longshank Hooks made for Saltwater.

So, I suppose that is the more practical. I have currently, some Salmon Fly Streamer Hooks exiting the back, and coming out where the Dorsal Fin would be. They are Black Hooks, which I think is a much older style.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:10 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps an option? The Alex Jackson hooks come all the way out to 3/0 and they're HUGE: http://www.flyfishusa.com/fly-tying/...ec-jackson.htm

Bye the Bye, flyfishusa ships to the UK on a regular basis.

Fred
brucerducer likes this.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:15 PM

Ha ha!~

Fredaevans: That's great. Those look exactly like the 2/0 hooks I was using.
By golly I bought 2 packages of Those Alec Jackson Hooks on the spot.

What's more, check out was a breeze. They take PayPal!

You were so thoughtful to take the time to share that information. Thank you so much!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:31 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I've known, trusted, respected Mark and his folks for over two decades. Have a 'question,' you will get a real answer. He/Pattie/they know they're going to get your money .... so why not a real answer?

'Here's what I want, vs here's what You need.' Probably purchased both ....

Puppy Hunts for me (order in a couple of days back).

fae
brucerducer likes this.