The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 10:41 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default The Bad Juju thread; "Never do this"

There is a thread "how to maintain your fly rod" that was posted last summer. One of the first tips is to clean your grip with...gasp...bleach! Some folks immediately pointed out that one should never clean their rod grip lest fishing Karma punish you with Bad Juju.

The editor of this site, Paul Sharman, originally posted the thread and mused that this could be thread all it's own. I thought is could be fun, so I've taken Paul's lead and started the thread.

Share your superstitions, pre-fishing rituals, and general do's and don't lest the fishing gods be less than pleased.

I'll start with that aside from never cleaning your rod grip, I also never clean a good hat or fishing vest. And let's get the obvious out of the way: never litter, clean up after yourself and I'll ad one that I like to burn up come Karma - take something with you that was left by someone else (beer, soda cans, worm containers are a good start).
fysh, Pocono and mcnerney like this.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:50 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Bad Juju thread; "Never do this"

no bananas

I mean even in the campsite....NO FLIPPING BANANAS...ever
fysh, Guest1, billyspey and 2 others like this.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:51 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Karma works

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
... I'll ad one that I like to burn up come Karma - take something with you that was left by someone else (beer, soda cans, worm containers are a good start).
A year ago on the Swift River in Albany, NH, I happened on a LOT of beer cans. Probably 150 of them. I have no idea what kind of party went on there. I picked them up - made quite a racket in the truck bed.

Anyway, a couple weeks later my brother was fishing in the same area and fished three $20 bills out of the water.

Karma?
fysh, mcnerney and dean_mt like this.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:53 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Karma works

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
A year ago on the Swift River in Albany, NH, I happened on a LOT of beer cans. Probably 150 of them. I have no idea what kind of party went on there. I picked them up - made quite a racket in the truck bed.

Anyway, a couple weeks later my brother was fishing in the same area and fished three $20 bills out of the water.

Karma?
What else?
Old 11-10-2012, 11:03 AM

derekcj is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: The Bad Juju thread; "Never do this"

I thought that I was the only superstitious fishing fool....glad to know I'm not alone. Here's my list: NEVER ever make up your folding/telescopic landing net before the first fish ( yes, I know, you then have to do it with one hand)
ANY new tackle must be christened in whatever way you choose otherwise it'll be a blank day. New hat? New rod? All the same, and you must perform a ceremony. My way is to dunk them all before the first cast.
Now for a GOOD sign: In BC Canada my excellent and long suffering guide reckons that the sight of a Bald Eagle over the fishing is a good omen. That seems to be true but on the other hand BC waters are crowded with fish and a blank day is totally unknown. But I respect his belief!
Old 11-10-2012, 11:06 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i'll second the "never wash your fishing hat" quote.
i have very well worn ball cap that will never see a drop of detergent, ever

casey

ARFE
Old 11-10-2012, 11:06 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Never carry a landing net. It's nearly a guaranty that you won't catch a fish large enough to use it on.

Don't keep the first fish, even if you're planning on saving fish to eat. If you keep the first one, you won't catch a second.

Don't ever, ever tell the wife that you'll be bringing fish home for dinner... see above.

Lucky hat.... don't wash it or do anything else that will suck the luck out of it.

Always spit on your fly

I'm serious about all this stuff
dean_mt, newby and thorsten like this.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:16 AM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

Don't ever recast or get your fly wet after the last fish you plan to catch. But don't say its your last fish otherwhise it will reverse the luck.

The most important one in Montana. Don't speak of the wind. Don't mention it at all if its not there. You cant even say the w word, otherwhise its sure to pick up. Sometimes I like to thank it for being there in hopes of appeasing the wind God.
dean_mt likes this.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 11-10-2012, 11:23 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

First fly on a new trout rod is a 14 parachute adams, first fly of the day trout fishing is a dry.

Oh and the hat thing, between sun, sweat, and river I want my hats to several different colors. The hat I retired last Spring had little of its original color left My wife hated it.
dean_mt and grassonfly like this.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:26 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Never walk down stream. Sound travels down and the stirred up water and debris will spook any fish down stream. Better to get out and walk the bank. Never throw or miss treat a fish for entertainment purposes, or sacrifice a fish's health for a photo opp. Try not to loose your temper. Could be costly.
dean_mt and thewalker1013 like this.