The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By gatortransplant
  • 1 Post By stl_geoff
  • 2 Post By newby
  • 1 Post By ib me
  • 1 Post By waterfordcreek
  • 1 Post By mysticm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 09:04 AM

rchouser12 is on a distinguished road
Default Winter brookies?

I live in West Virginia. A friend of mine highlighted a few streams on a map for me that have brook trout. Winter is pretty much here but I'm itching to go out and find these streams. What patterns do you recommend for this time of year? As for the stream, I am guessing the water is a bit higher and more stirred up than usual from the 3 feet of snow melting in the mountains. I can make anything I just need to know what to tie up.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2012, 09:53 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Winter brookies?

Typically the winter demands smaller, sparser patterns, while dingier water demands larger, darker patterns. However, from everything I've heard brookies are particularly partial to gaudier flies. Yay to variables causing contradictory demands. SO basically what I'm saying is, hopefully someone who knows better than I do weighs in on this thread, my experience with brook trout in particular is VERY limited.
mcnerney likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Something orange. brookies love to attack things that are orange. they ruined so many orange humpys last fall when I was in the TN fishing for them.
mcnerney likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 11-12-2012, 11:49 AM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

I would also try chartreuse, they seem to love it.

I would do a hopper dropper set up because winter brookies will still often take topwater (at least around here) and if nothing else the hopper is a strike indicator with a hook.

Maybe a brightly colored stimi/hopper/humpy with a dropper of a chartreuse, red, or normal copper john. They also don't mind hare's ears in olive, black, and regular, as well as prince nymphs, zug bugs, soft hackles, and lightning bugs.
mcnerney and rchouser12 like this.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:22 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

PM sent. What the guys said about orange , chartreuse and add red and copper . Good luck!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-13-2012, 06:16 PM

ib me is on a distinguished road

You might want to tye up some pink weennie's They work good around my brookies
Dennis
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 AM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

I use an orange neversink caddis #16 all winter.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 AM

mysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to all

Having fished for Brookies in the eastern mountain streams, primary flies / strategies that have worked for me are:

1) Presentation: Brookies are not selective, however they are extremely skittish, even the tip of your fly line going over them will scare them into their hiding holes.

2) Hook sets: Better bring your fast twitch muscles, need to have a tight line and set the hook quickly since the strikes are so fast

3) Takes: I have had the same Brookie come back and inspect the fly several times on successive drifts.

4) Flies:
Size 16 Orange or Yellow Stimulators
Size 16 / 18 Yellow, Orange, Chantreuse Humpies
Size 16 or 18 BHPT (dropped off the Stimmy)
Size 16 Black or Orange foam beetle with a parachute style post
Size 16 or 18 black parachute ant
Size 6 - 10 streamer / wet fly with Orange, Black, Red or Yellow colors.

Good luck & stay off the redds since Brookies spawn in Fall - early Winter (depending on the weather pattern).
mcnerney likes this.