The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 10:30 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default I never knew bass could get this big in a stream

I was out on a nice, sunny 60-degree day this past Saturday. The water was cold (I don't own a thermometer) and I figured the fish may a bit sluggish. I didn't get a notice for the first two hours on the stream but I was trying to see if I could get some distance on my cast for a large part of that time and I am sure I was making way too much noise.

Since it was a really nice day, more and more people were showing up, so I wandered downstream. I had heard at one time if I followed the stream I was on, that I would find another stream that it flows into. I had nothing else to do, so I walked the deer paths thru loads of brush and briers and mucky mud. After a little while, I stumbled up on an absolutely beautiful stream. I never knew one existed that looked like this around where I live.

It was a bit shallow where I found it but it seemed to get deeper downstream. The water was running pretty fast and I stepped in a few places that I probably shouldn't have and almost got swept away. (I now have a lot more respect for fast water.)

I puttered around there for about 45 minutes with the same results: NOTHING. I saw what looked like a smallish pool that was at least a little bit deep. It looked like there was a nice rock ledge in that area and I decided to give that place a shot for a few minutes then go home.

I have made a little streamer-looking thing I was using. It was a little heavier than I really wanted it to be as it sunk REALLY fast--it would be good for a lake, I think. I tied some green marabou and a little silver tinsel on a jig head and it actually looked pretty darn good, if I have to say so myself.

I tossed the fly above the pool about a dozen times and let it float thru it and beyond. I was getting caught on a lot of rocks that day since this thing sunk do quickly and the same h ting was happening here. When it happened for the last time, I was ready to give up.

I pulled and tugged and was sort of curing a little bit as it wouldn't pull free. Then it happened. A fish was pulling with all its might and it wasn't a little fish. My rod seemed like it was bending in half as it pulled the line straight down. Then it went underneath me. I didn't have a whole lot of drag on the reel and it was all I could do just to hold on. It seemed like forever that the thing pulled down and sort of under. Then, all of a sudden, it rose and jumped way out of the water and I couldn't believe what I saw! It was a huge bass. never thought I would see one there that even approached the size that thing was. Then it took off downstream and darn near drug me off the algae-covered rock was was standing on. It pulled for what seemed like an eternity and then came flying back and under the rock ledge again and fought for another 15-20 seconds really hard.

Then it finally tired out and gave no fight as I reeled it in. Holy cow!!! I only had a 5x tippet on and I cannot believe I was able to pull this sucker in. I honestly have never caught a fish this big in my life, nor have I ever even SEEN a fish this big in my life. I was almost two-feet long and so fat that I couldn't put my hands around it. It was exhausted once I put it back in the water after taking the hook out. It just stayed in my hands as I held it for the longest time. When it finally did decide to leave, it was like a drunk sailor, bumping into me a few times and going only about 2-3 feet at a time and stopping for a couple seconds and before it went a couple feet again and stopped.

Sorry for the long post. It's just that I am sort of excited that I caught a big fish, caught it on my fly rod, and caught is with a fly that I tied. The fish was so beautiful that I could hardly believe it. Now, of course, people are screaming at me saying I should have kept it but why?? He didn't get that big by accident. I doubt if he was ever caught before. He put up a heck of a fight and was a truly worthy opponent. The least I could do was let him live and, possibly, catch him again!

I would like to include a picture of it but I do not know how to insert an image. It asks for a URL and it is on my hard drive. How do I insert a picture?

Thanks,
ray

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

I see I am not allowed to post attachments? This is at the bottom of my reply screen:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
mcnerney and brucerducer like this.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:37 AM

bobafett will become famous soon enoughbobafett will become famous soon enough
Default Re: I never knew bass could get this big in a stream

I upload pics to photobucket, then copy and paste the url (web address) to my post using the insertimage function, which looks like a small postcard with mountains and a sun above the reply box. Its the 14th box on the same line as the Bold, Italics, etc. line.

Glad you caught a nice one, and thanks for sharing your excitement.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would like to include a picture of it but I do not know how to insert an image. It asks for a URL and it is on my hard drive. How do I insert a picture?
You have to upload to a hosting site first. Like Photobucket, Flickr. or even facebook or a forum gallery. The galley here on NAFFF can be frustrating as your pictures have to be the correct size in order to work.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ure-nafff.html
Old 11-12-2012, 10:38 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
How do I insert a picture?
I had the same problem. You have to post the picture to some public (cloud) site and then post a URL to the picture.

Amazon/google/Nikon, etc all have places you can post photos for free.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:42 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Ray, first of all congratulations! Second, there is no reason to to feel bad about not keeping that fish. Nowadays, the wonders of technology and specifically cameras means that keeping a fish is as easy as pushing a button (which you did). I commend you for returning the fish to the waters to live (and maybe eat another's fly) at a later date. It's not like the rules for aging apply to fish like they do with fine wines and spirits anyway!

EDIT: I was beat to the punch on the photo-uploading portion of this post... I'll leave it up anyway just in case people don't read further up the thread... As far as posting a photo: get an account with photobucket.com or another image-sharing service. They are free and they are very convenient. You upload photos to the account and then simply link the url from the photo-sharing service/site to the thread. There are a number of tutorials for this process on the forum:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...to-bucket.html

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ure-nafff.html

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-12-2012, 10:49 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Hopefully this will work.
Fish Pictures :: Big Bass - November 2012 picture by busbus21 - Photobucket
Old 11-12-2012, 11:00 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Great smallmouth! If you grab the one with the bracketed IMGs around it, it will show up in the thread rather than as a hyperlink...

For everyone's viewing pleasure, here is Ray's fish:
Click the image to open in full size.
joebloe and grassonfly like this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

"The water was running pretty fast and I stepped in a few places that I probably shouldn't have and almost got swept away."---Busbus

The general rule I use, for safety, is that when that stream level starts to approach the knees, it could be strong enough to sweep me off of my feet.

Of course, it depends on the strength of the current. Slow moving water doesn't do much of anything.

Don't worry about the long post. I loved your entire account of it.

And what a Monster Bass it is. It's an excellent account of your exploration. How cool for you!

And you caught it on the streamer you tied! Good for you mate!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post

Thanks,
ray

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

I see I am not allowed to post attachments? This is at the bottom of my reply screen: