The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 07:41 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default The loaner rod and reel...

I love my Orvis Helios rods. And while I like to share, there are times where I'd like to loan a different rod out to possible fellow future fly fisherman. Of late I've been having to loan out rods that aren't ideal for fishing conditions (length and wt).

So I'm looking to pickup one or 2 mid flex/medium action 9'5 wt and decent reel.

What should I expect to pay for a rod/reel combo for someone who may only fly fish when they go out with me? Should I saddle them with a real clunker (pun intended) or set em up with a decent outfit that works well and may further their interest (which is the goal).

Any suggestions are appreciated.
brucerducer likes this.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The loaner rod and reel...

Take a look on EBay, you can probably pickup some older generation fly rods for a pretty decent price.

Larry

Larry
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I might recommend a rod/reel that you would'nt mind using as an emergency spare and has a good warranty.

Dave
Old 11-14-2012, 07:55 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on how much money you have to spend and how much you are invested in giving your friend(s) a good experience when they head out with you. One set I lend out easily is an Albright Topwater fly rod - have one of their 7'6" 3/4 wts and a 9' 5/6 wt with some cheaper reels matched with them. When I fished with the rods I liked them and think they are a good rod to have for a loaner.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:06 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

We use Albright 5/6 Top Water Rods and GP reels in casting clinics we do and they, though short on aesthetics, perform very well for their modest price. TFO too has oufits that are perfectly acceptable to non critical users.
mrfzx, shotgunfly and double dry like this.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:21 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

St. Croix Imperial got lots of great reviews and outperformed many much higher priced rods in a big rod review. I fish a 4 wt. 7'6" which is fast action, i bet a 5wt. 8 foot plus rod would be good. Plus they have many tips made up for I think like $30. I got mine for $140.00 bet you could find a similar deal. I love mine. Very powerful and accurate. I was very pleasantly surprised when first wet a line with it.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:49 AM

socorrofly is on a distinguished road

Scientific Anglers Species Specific Trout Kit - has the whole enchilada for under $75.00 and can be had at Wally World. Give it as a gift, then they own it and you don't have to mess around with a loaner. Plus they get the hang of using the same outfit - time to hit that learning curve - it only gets better.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:10 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

I have one of these:
Cabela's Cahill Fly Rod and Reel Outfit, Fly-Fishing Rod & Reel Combos, Fly-Fishing, Fishing : Cabela's

As a previous poster said, you can even give it away. It's a better rod than you'd think for $40.
mrfzx and shotgunfly like this.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:30 AM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough

I would just pick up a couple of Cabelas or Bass Pro combos. They are surprisingly decent. You could get two full outfits for a 100 -200 bucks, depending on which models you purchase. That way if a newbie breaks one, your not gonna cry.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:49 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I'd look at rods in the bargain cave... Redington CTs are being cleared out for their new line to replace the CT.. can be had for around $80 right now.. and they come with a lifetime warranty... this'll help mellow the stinging feeling you'll get when the loaner rod is snapped from newbie tactics

As for reels.. a cheap-o click n pawl will get them by.. it only really has to hold the line.. and FTDs Bull Shark Line is really good.. especially for under $20
shotgunfly likes this.