The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 12:08 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default Green Weenies?

I have been searching for a good winter pattern and I have been seeing Green Weenies come up a lot. I thought these things were supposed to mimic inchworms. Don't the fish "know" it isn't "inchworm season" now? Or does that pattern mimic other things, as well?

I have been seeing that brook trout like to go after Pink Weenies. Is this true?

And if green and pink work, does any other color work? Black? White? Brown? Red?

Finally, do you make these in sizes 12-14 only? Should/could I use a smaller hook for winter fishing? Or doesn't it look right or work in smaller sizes?

Sometimes I get myself all wrapped up in my underwear because I read too much and get all discombobulated.

Thanks,
ray
brucerducer likes this.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Green Weenies?

tie them any size you want depending on what you're fishing for.

I'd tie them up to 10 or even 8 for steelhead and lake run browns

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-14-2012, 01:00 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know why but there's 2 styles of fly known as green weenies
The inchworm that you're thinking of, and the green rock worm, a caddis larva.
They're plenty big (10-12 ?) and I've seen them from brownish to bright green
Green Rock Worm | Rhyachophila
mrfzx likes this.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

That picture is what I thought this was supposed to represent.

But my question is actually two, I guess:

1. Will this pattern work in any other color? I see "Pink Weenies" on the Internet. I don't know if this is supposed to go after trout or Steelhead though. I was just wondering if other colors would work or if I would just be wasting my time?

2. Will it work if it is SMALLER? Not bigger--smaller? Would a smaller version of this work better in the winter for trout may be a better way of asking.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:30 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to believe, I know, but the fish police aren't going to track you down and arrest you if you want to try something different

Yeah it will work smaller. Small bugs grow into big bugs. But the ones that I've seen...in the winter.... were scary big.

Yeah you can tie them whatever color you like, but the rockworms that I've seen... in the winter...were a startling color of bright green
There's other caddis larva ... cased larva are white... but most all are brown to green
Old 11-14-2012, 01:46 PM

I didn't think the fish police would get nor will the fish gods strike me dead. I just didn't know if I should even try it.

But this answers my questions pretty well. Leave them sort of in the middle. Winter doesn't always mean little everything. And to stay in the brown to green arena.

Okay! Some more tying tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Hard to believe, I know, but the fish police aren't going to track you down and arrest you if you want to try something different

Yeah it will work smaller. Small bugs grow into big bugs. But the ones that I've seen...in the winter.... were scary big.

Yeah you can tie them whatever color you like, but the rockworms that I've seen... in the winter...were a startling color of bright green
There's other caddis larva ... cased larva are white... but most all are brown to green
Old 11-14-2012, 04:14 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

yessssssss!!! The addicition continues for busbus
Old 11-14-2012, 04:52 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

busbus, greenweenies are one of the must have flies. You can catch any fish that eats on them. Try them with legs on the for samllies,rock bass,sunnys and carp. If you want to try your hand at fly tying this is a good pattern to start with. This time of year you should start thinkimg about smaller flys as the trout do tend to eat less as the water cools. Midge pupa or nymphs will get you more hook ups this time of year for stocked trout around your place. Good luck, maybe some day we'll hook up for a day throwing bugs at em.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:01 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

busbus,
i've been fishing gw's for a while now ever since i heard of them on this forum(thanks frank!)
it's a versatile attractor fly that seems to trigger a fast, aggressive response from most fish. big crappie and gills seem to love them in the spring and lmb seem to like them as well.
i think a pink,brown or black variation would probably catch allot of fish in allot of situations
a truly versatile fly

casey

ARFE
Old 11-15-2012, 09:23 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I always thought they started out as a sunken inch worm pattern originated by Charlie Meck but now I see them with bead heads and dressed more like the caddis Riptide pointed out. Anyway you fish them they work and work good!