The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By okuma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 02:59 PM

missin44 is on a distinguished road
Default Purchasing Flies Online?

I've decided to try purchasing a few flies online either though websites that deals in flies or eBay. My first orders will be small just to get a first hand look at what’s out there. Having never done this before I'm hoping some folks here can point recommended a few online sites or eBay sellers that sell at least reasonable quality flies or just as important one to avoid.

This is not to say I plan to use online to replace the local fly shops I might visit. I always buy a few local pattern flies just to say thanks for local info and to support the business. I'm only using this to augment my collection of basic fly patterns.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2012, 04:22 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: Purchasing Flies Online?

The few times I have bought online, I bought from Big Y Fly. Good for the price
itchmesir likes this.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

+1 for Big Y.. nice flies.. cheap prices

Also check Parker's Flies... good shop and good owner..

I started out buying flies.. which quickly led to making my own flies... the sting of losing a fly hurts less when you made a dozen of them yourself for pennies
Old 11-15-2012, 07:38 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

theflystop.com
thats what i've used for my past 2 orders (i just started fly fishing, so after very first time of paying 2-3$ /fly at local shop) i said NO THANKS

i've purchased about 100 flies / per each of 2 orders.
i actually also got WF 3wt fly line for a new rod from these guys as well, and its working great.
selection is great, prices are great,
if you get up to $50 order shipping is free, otherwise its $3 which is still fair deal.

i did have some flies that got torn apart but it was from catching lots of fish or snagging on trees. so I'm satisfied with quality, i could not tell a difference if you asked me between their flies and the ones from local shop

also cant beat this fly box for $12
its filled up completely now

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:40 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Barnesly Fly Co has some decent flies for cheap too ...been a while since I purchased from them though
Old 11-15-2012, 08:20 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hills Discount Flies. They have tungsten beaded flies and some are tied on Daiichi hooks.