The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By andydietz
  • 1 Post By osok
  • 2 Post By Guest1
  • 1 Post By andydietz
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 03:05 PM

andydietz is on a distinguished road
Default Who knows a little about Catch and Release?

Part of my curriculum as a senior in high school requires a senior project and a persuasive research paper that coincides with it. For my project, I am learning how to (effectively) fly fish the Indian River Lagoon area of FL and my paper is on catch and release fishing. Assuming some of you may know a little bit about catch and release (you are fly fishermen, after all), I would like to ask someone a couple questions and use your answers as part of my paper. I can either post questions here or message them to you; whatever works best.

Thanks for the help!
Andy
osok likes this.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:17 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who knows a little about Catch and Release?

Hi Andy, You can start with this
Practicing Proper Catch and Release
Old 11-15-2012, 04:09 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

Andy I commend you for such a noble learning exercise. While I am probably not the experienced person you need, I feel certain that those with much experience with catch and release will be happy to assist you.

Good Luck
andydietz likes this.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

There are two really good papers involving hook style mortality if you don't care is it's not fly fishing. The two papers are on Swedish Pike hooks, one by Wisconsin and the other done by I think South Dakota DNRs. The highest survival rate in Pike hooked and released using these hooks was something like 9 or 10%. They kill almost everything they catch. If you go to your local fisheries office you can likely get a copy of the papers. I have a copy of at least one of them somewhere around here, but finding it...... It used as comparison treble hooks and had about the opposite results with almost no mortality.

This also came up here on the forum recently. Some species can be held out of the water for a long time without much ill effect. I mentioned that Gar can be kept out of water for 24 hours or more without harm, as long as they are kept moist. They can breathe air so don't suffer the suffocation most fish do when kept out. Studies done by New York and Ontario show that as little as 30 seconds of air exposure causes delayed mortality of released trout. It has been shown that nearly 40 percent of exhausted trout that were kept out of
water for 30 seconds died. The death rate rises to almost 70 percent if they are kept out of the water for 60 seconds. In Trout, structures in the gills collapse when removed from the water almost completely stopping Oxygen transfer and a build up of CO2 in the fish's blood stream.

Then there are other contributing factors in a fish's survival. Depth it was hooked, where it was hooked, bleeding, how it was held, hook type, net type if any, time it took to land it (lactic acid buildup in the muscles), species, etc.

While I mentioned 'how it was held', I will give you a couple of dont's. Most species do not react well to being held vertically. They should be held parallel to the ground and supported if you take them out of the water. It's better for survival if you don't remove them from the water. I'm not sure if this was ever a common practice there, but here holding fish by the eyes, especially Pike and Musky was common. I still see it being done occasionally. I had an old guy here do it during Spring Pike fishing. I explained how bad it was for the fish after his first, second and third fish. On the fourth one I told him I would grab him by the eyes if he did it again. Then there is the jaw grab you see a lot of. Some guys swing the fish around by the jaw like it a handle on a suitcase. Jaws were not meant for that. You can break it. Treat a jaw like it can break. There are a lot of things you can do that reduce a fishes odds of making it. And as I tell people all the time, just because it swam away, it doesn't mean it survived.

You should take a trip to your local fisheries office to get a better idea of how your local fish species fare in catch and release.
popperfly and rockriver like this.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:39 PM

andydietz is on a distinguished road

I sent you a message. Thanks.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:34 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I am 100% catch and release, I am far from an expert, but I will help however I can.

Stu
Old 11-15-2012, 06:37 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Hooks In or Hooks Out?
Guest1 likes this.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I invented a tool to get swallowed treble hooks out of big Pike during the Spring run here when we have a ton of guys fishing for them. Most people who have been here for a few years know I have it and will request help. I can get a treble out of a pike that has passed well into the throat. That's one thing I like about getting them with flies. I have yet to badly hook a really big Pike on a fly (knock on wood). I have gorked a few small ones. I can generally get the fly out of deeper hooked fish by backing it back out through the gills and cutting the tippet. You have to be careful not to let the fish flop and not hurt a gill.

I also forgot a couple other factors. Water temp and depth. Fish have higher survival rates in cooler water. Depth can be hard on fish. A good tool to get a fish back deep is to rig a line like a drop shot rig and put a second knot on the shank of the hook so the point is pointed down. Remove the barb. Hook the fish in the upper lip, point forward and drop the fish with the weight pulling it down to the bottom. Jerk the line and the fish is free back at depth with his swim bladder repressurized. Some people 'fizz' them with a hypodermic needle(depressurize the swim bladder). It works if you know what you are doing. If you are not a fisheries biologist, use the drop shot rig method.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Banned

Andy, A guy posted this on a different thread. I thought you may want to see this. He has a Trout that was a bleeder and released it He then recaptured it, proving that bleeding is not a death sentance, even in Trout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
This fish was a bleeder when I caught him in July 2010.

Click the image to open in full size.

He was not a bleeder when I caught him in September 2011.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I 100% do not agree with full-on, no alternative, mindless catch-and-release.

I think fly fishing is so associated with "trout" that all of the practices related to fishing for trout tend to carry over to all species whenever it's not at all appropriate in many cases. Example -- overabundance of stunted, deformed bluegill in a lake or something.

Last edited by turbineblade; 11-17-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Probably not a good tone...