The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree127Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default As The 2012 Season Winds Down, How Was It?

Hey Everyone,

I know that some will be able to fish right through 2013 but for many the season is about done save for one or two more chances if the weather cooperates. One of the things I have enjoyed since joining the forum is to ask other members what was their best trip or day of the past season.

So with out further explanation, please feel free to share photos and details of what made up your best experience of this past season.

Ard
ted4887 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-16-2012, 09:13 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: As The 2012 Season Winds Down, How Was It?

well ard,
besides a few good spring trips and a pretty good alaska trip, i would say well below average
we experienced a record heat wave as well as a horrible drought here in northern illinois. for the most part, it was too hot to fish, and on semi-reasonable days there was not enough water.
that being said, its supposed to be 60 here tomorrow, so me and my wife are going for one last hurrah before the freeze
wish us luck

casey
Hardyreels, mcnerney and ted4887 like this.

ARFE
Old 11-16-2012, 09:18 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

It's been a good year. My first year fly fishing actually. picked up my first rod in January. Fished the San juan, a few lakes around here, and a LOT of streams. Had a 100 fish day (bluegill).

My favorite experience was in June. Fly fishing the San Juan just after ramp-down. Caught two rainbows over 20" (just) one of them on a big black ant sight fishing. Too awesome to fool those wary trout. And the other on a size 20 midge- So I joined the 20/20 club! (Not a big deal, but cool to say you did it).

Last edited by newby; 11-16-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:19 PM

wtl is on a distinguished road

I'm a southerner, and so mostly a bass fisherman. Because of a trip across the country, this was the first year I concentrated on trout for a large part of the year. Quality wise, I didn't do anything special, then again I'm not that good. I'm a smallmouth fisherman who started casting to trout, and that only works to an extent.

But location wise, I really had a hell of a year, the highlights being:

Guadelupe Bass - South Llano River
Rainbows and Browns - McCleod River and Squaw Valley Creek
Skunked - Tuolome Meadows, Yosemite, but damn it was a pretty place to be
5 lbs smallmouth - South Fork, Umpqua River
More Bows, Deschutes River
Sea Run Coastal Cuts - Wilson and Trask Rivers, Oregon
Steelhead and brookies - Clackamas River, Oregon
Landlocked Salmon - Hosmer lake Oregon
Westslope Cutthroat - Lochsa River, Idaho
Golden Trout - Bighorn Mountains
Shoal Bass - Flint River, Georgia
Redeye Bass - Little River Canyon, Alabama
Speckled Trout - Mobile Bay, Alabama
Old 11-16-2012, 09:21 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

I still got a month and a half of steelheadin' left so I'll get back to you!
Hardyreels and lthrnk03 like this.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Casey,

I hope you two have fun and catch a few fish too.

WTL,

That's one heck of a trip itinerary! I've been around but you managed to hit most places that I have never fished............. All except one, Flint River I lived in the Great State of Georgia for awhile. I fished mostly in my pond / swamp, or up in the North West beyond Blue Ridge, I loved it up there.

Ard
caseywise likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-16-2012, 09:48 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Below average for sure.

1) low water due to terrible snow pack last year
2) Work was way to busy
3) My wife started graduate school so I became Mr.Mom
4) Annual Wy trip was ok
5) Only had one camping trip in the trailer vs the normal 6 or so

I did have some good days where I caught alot of fish. I started tying flies and am regularly catching fish on my flies. Also last week I took off from work last friday and drove 3 hours to fish a spot I have always wanted to fish. I didn't land anything of size but I did manage to hook and fight what must have been minimum 28" Brown that was a fat butterball.

Also on the positive I did commit to learning how to become a better nymph fisher since. I do feel like I learned alot more about reading the fish and in turn running the correct fly at the correct depth and am a much better nymph fisherman.

all in all it was OK, I just wish there was more time this year. However I did buy some winter gear and am going to trudge right on through the winter this year
Hardyreels, mcnerney and ted4887 like this.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:59 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

It was a good year in a lot of ways. I feel like a learned a lot. Became a better fly tyer, fished my first bamboo rods and learned to wrap with silk, make rattan and bark grips, have learned to nymph better. I was back in Michigan for the brown and gray drake hatches and fished with the guy who got me into fly fishing, caught beautiful bass and pike in Wisconsin, and got in a lot of fishing time with my brother here in Colorado.

One highlight was a guys' fishing trip with my dad, brother, and two brothers-in-law. We caught many great fish, had a nice long weekend together. It's been good to watch them see why my brother and I love fly fishing so much and get into it themselves. Connected to the family piece, I made my niece a pink and green spincast rod and helped her catch her first fish (bass, gills, and a catfish).

The weather was tough. During the summer, I worried about the rivers and the fish as well as other wildlife, and stayed off one of my favorite little spots from May through to late October because the water was low and warm. I'm hoping to get out again a few times before the New Year. And, to end on a positive note, when I fished it just a few weeks ago, despite the rough summer, there are a lot of healthy fish in there. I caught a nice range of sizes, so hopefully that'll bode well for the coming years. Made me happy to see they'd made it through the summer.

I'm enjoying reading what folks post here. Great thread Ard, thanks for starting it.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:18 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

For me, this season could be looked at either a tough year of catching, or a fun year of fishing. The warmwater season was great, as I could a lot of fish, and chased some new species. However, the drought we're having in the Upper Midwest really put a damper on my trout fishing. Low and clear streams that are generally no bigger than 3-5' across are just plain hard to fish. That being said, it was a year that forced me to learn new techniques, and really work on my casting at distances with lighter wt rods.

Like I said though, the warm water season was fantastic. I learned more about musky fishing in 1 day with Musky Country Outfitters than I had learned in my life. Those guys definitely know their stuff!

The end of my season came to somewhat of a screeching halt when I did some ligament damage to my right wrist. Although I did just "man up" and fish through the pain for a couple of Great Lakes steelhead trips, I finally went and saw the doc about it. Now I sit here and wait 4-6 weeks for it to hopefully heal up. My next time out will likely be in snowshoes.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Ard,as you know I fish all year through...year 2012 wasn't bad with a lot of rather good outingschub and bows were often active but I caught fewer dace than usual.I notice we drive to "1st category"(brown sections) less and less often as browns are getting rare...so we prefer having fun on other fish.Our reservoir outings were less productive than last year.We've had some rains for a while so the water levels should be good during winter.Last observation...looks like the fish suffered from last autumn's dreadful floods on river Hιrault
A few pics of our last outing on the "Daisy"...our"private" little streamThe funny thing is...we caught more fish on dry(batistou special) than on nymph although the water wasn't gin clear
Click the image to open in full size.