The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 10:45 AM

flysean will become famous soon enough
Default copper john

i am tying a copper john and i have several sizes of wire and i am wondering what size is the best for a size 14 hook. and i have another question could i use a size 16 dry fly instead of of nymph hook when i run out of nymph hooks till i buy some more it takes about week when i order since there is no fly shop anywhere close thanks
Old 11-17-2012, 10:57 AM

famill00 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: copper john

Whatever size wire you have should be fine. If all you have is really small stuff, you can build the body up with thread a bit. If all you have is a little bigger, then don't use as much thread. Dry fly hooks are going to be much lighter than nymph hooks, so if you use them, make sure to add a little more weight to the fly with some lead.

-Forrest
Old 11-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is what Charlie Craven says, "size 12 hook use medium, size 14-16 hook use Brassie, size 18-20 hook use small". Hope that helps.

Larry
jaybo41 likes this.

Larry
Old 11-19-2012, 09:04 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Here is what Charlie Craven says, "size 12 hook use medium, size 14-16 hook use Brassie, size 18-20 hook use small". Hope that helps.

Larry
Thanks, as I also didn't know what size wire to use and just been guessing without any knowledge as to why I choose a size.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:03 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Quote:

Larry

What Larry said. Seems to come out less lumpy; better taper.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:27 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Don't be afraid to experiment and play around with different sizes and colors of wire. Sometimes it works out okay.

Click the image to open in full size.
Joni, mcnerney, jaybo41 and 2 others like this.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:28 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Don't be afraid to experiment and play around with different sizes and colors of wire. Sometimes it works out okay.

Click the image to open in full size.
Jackster that looks great,

How do you get it so uniform. I really strugge if I use lead wraps under the thorax I get a really deformed body. If I dont use lead it is better but I get an oblong shape to the body from running the wire down the hook shanks.

1) what size wires did you use in this pic
2) Do you tie your copper wires in to the beadhead or at like the 75% point of the hook
3) Do you run them along the sides of the hook shank or underneath

Man I only hope mine lood 3/4 as good as yours in the future
Old 11-19-2012, 07:17 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Jackster, wow that is a great looking fly! VERY nice tie! Two different colors of wire really adds to a nice segmented look in those CJ's and other similar flies.

Avs, I don't want to speak to how Jackster did it, but tying a fly with a wire body is the perfect time to take advantage of that rotary feature you have with your vise. I tied up some wire bodied stones a few years back and I discovered while doing so the rotary feature made it soooo easy to keep the wraps nice and tight.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:52 PM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Larry
Is there any general size bead:hook? I don't have a shop to walk into for comparison purposes...
Old 11-19-2012, 08:00 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a starting point for you. Note that there is overlap in sizes and sometimes it comes down to personal preference.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/mas_asse...30010-0000.pdf