The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Furled Leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
45Fisher,

Why do you prefer Fireline over Uni-thread? What didn't you like about thread performance? Was it a casting issue or was it simply easier to work with regarding leader tying (twisting, etc).

Thanks,
They cast very well, probably better than the mono or braid, but you have to use some sort of water repellant to keep them from getting soaked. I use just about everything you could think of but I wasn't satisfied...so I opt to use the mono or braid. It was one less thing I had to worry about. Some don't mind doing the treatment. Me I want to fish.

I prefer the braid because by line weight, it makes one strong furled leader and it cast a bit nicer than mono. The mono can be/get stiff and tends to acquire memory. The braid will probably last a lot longer than the mono. Since I make my own I tend to change them out when they don’t ‘look’ good.

I also use a tippet ring. Again 3-5' of tippet and I'm in business. I shorb loop the big end and girth-hitch (loop-to-loop) the tippet ring on to the other. Light furled leader (3wt-4wt), small tippet; heavy furled leader, (5wt +)bigger tippet ring.

Larry

Last edited by 45fisher; 11-19-2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added more to answer question
Old 11-19-2012, 10:04 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the detailed response!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:12 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
The furling pro here is Joni, you should send her a PM with your questions. I know she sells them but will probably help a fellow trying to learn,, her user name here is Joni.

Ard
Oh so yes! Been using, pushing people her way, for a very long time. I even use them on my 2handers. The 'sinking ones' sink like a rock with a lightly weighed fly(s) on the business end.

And you do want a tippet ring. Simplifies changing out that last bit (tippet) that you will apply. You can 'knit,' for a lack of better term, a loop in the end of a FL, but then you have the risk of getting too frisky when you want to want to clip the tippet off and replace. No such problem with a 3mm ring.

fae
Old 11-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

Just my two cents.
UNI-Thread for dry fly leaders hands down.
I do use spectra/braid (similar to fire-line) and thread, but I find that using only spectra does not work as well.
Nylon material is good when throwing very large heavy flies. We currently make both floating and sinking nylon leaders. Mostly Bass guys are buying those.
I am always willing to answer questions, so feel free to pm me. also, check out our new site. Cutthroat Furled Leaders - Braided Leader - Fly Fishing

If I had only one material to use, it would be uni-thread. I have tried them all.
Thank you,

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 11-21-2012, 06:22 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutThroat Leaders View Post
Just my two cents.
UNI-Thread for dry fly leaders hands down.
I do use spectra/braid (similar to fire-line) and thread, but I find that using only spectra does not work as well.
Nylon material is good when throwing very large heavy flies. We currently make both floating and sinking nylon leaders. Mostly Bass guys are buying those.
I am always willing to answer questions, so feel free to pm me. also, check out our new site. Cutthroat Furled Leaders - Braided Leader - Fly Fishing

If I had only one material to use, it would be uni-thread. I have tried them all.
Thank you,
Thanks for the post, I haven't tried nylon or spectra/braid so it's good to hear about them. How does silk compare to uni?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:39 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

The best thing since slice bread....