The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Furled Leaders (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/302682-furled-leaders.html)

dakotakid 11-18-2012 02:13 PM

Furled Leaders

Planning to create my own furled leaders, but would appreciate some guidance. Considering use of 4# P-line, 2# Fireline or 6/0 Uni-Thread. Are there any performance advantages or disadvantages with either of these filaments?

I've also noted that some commercial furled leaders have a tippet ring. How important is that? Everything else seems fairly straight-forward, except I'm not sure how to build in a tippet ring.

Thanks,

Hardyreels 11-18-2012 02:51 PM

Re: Furled Leaders

The furling pro here is Joni, you should send her a PM with your questions. I know she sells them but will probably help a fellow trying to learn,, her user name here is Joni.

Ard

itchmesir 11-18-2012 05:20 PM

My personal preference is tippet ring.. cinch knot a length of tippet.. add fly... I can see where people prefer a loop for having preset rigs.. so they can just loop2loop and be off... but i feel the loop causes more drag and attracts weeds more often

lotech_joe 11-18-2012 05:54 PM

I'm so awkward with my Schorb loops that I don't even mess with them. I use a surgeons knot to tie tippet to leader. I also just tie an overhand knot in the doubled back section of the butt. I find them easy enough, and cheap enough, to make that it isn't a problem for me. I find that the Uni 6/0 thread works best for me as far as turning the fly over and no coil memory. I use furled leaders almost exclusively.

dakotakid 11-18-2012 05:55 PM

Ard, thanks for recommending Joni. Found here blog and here pricing is reasonable enough to convince me to buy, leaving more time for improving my fly tying and fishing.

Itchmesir and lotech_joe
Appreciate your advice.

ditz 11-19-2012 10:10 AM

I make my own 5' leaders with 4# mono. that I use on my light warmwater rods. I don't fish trout. I made a couple with tying thread but did not like them personally. I use not metal ring and I use loop to loop conections on both ends of the leader. I really like them on the small creeks I fish. I also made a couple heavier for the salt and bass fishing but did not care for them either. I still use simple 2 step mono leaders plus tippet on my heavy rods.

dean_mt 11-19-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itchmesir (Post 499565)
My personal preference is tippet ring.. cinch knot a length of tippet.. add fly... I can see where people prefer a loop for having preset rigs.. so they can just loop2loop and be off... but i feel the loop causes more drag and attracts weeds more often

Those tiny little shorb loops at the tippet end of a furled leader are a bear. The tippet ring is a much better option, I've been tying them onto my knotted leaders at the end of the taper section.

BUT, I you can still use a loop to loop by tying a Perfection Loop or Non-slip Mono Loop onto the end of you tippet and using the loop to loop onto the ring. This is much stronger connection than the old Clinch Knot. If you don't like the loop though you should learn the Orivs Knot and forgo the Clinch. It is nearly as easy to tie and exponentially stronger.

45fisher 11-19-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakotakid (Post 499535)
Planning to create my own furled leaders, but would appreciate some guidance. Considering use of 4# P-line, 2# Fireline or 6/0 Uni-Thread. Are there any performance advantages or disadvantages with either of these filaments?

I've also noted that some commercial furled leaders have a tippet ring. How important is that? Everything else seems fairly straight-forward, except I'm not sure how to build in a tippet ring.

Thanks,

I have used P-line, fire-line and Uni-thread. I prefer the fireline (#2), then the P-line #4. Uni-thread works but not the way "I" like.
I learned to make my own only because I am cheap. I actully enjoy making them.
I haven't heard anyone ever complain about Joni's Furlead leaders. As a mater of fact I think I have only heard good comments.

Guest1 11-19-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 499543)
The furling pro here is Joni, you should send her a PM with your questions. I know she sells them but will probably help a fellow trying to learn,, her user name here is Joni.

Ard

Yah, what he said. Joni is a furled leader Yoda......Yodess? Not sure on that one. :confused:

dakotakid 11-19-2012 02:41 PM

45Fisher,

Why do you prefer Fireline over Uni-thread? What didn't you like about thread performance? Was it a casting issue or was it simply easier to work with regarding leader tying (twisting, etc).

Thanks,