The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 03:13 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about
Default Furled Leaders

Planning to create my own furled leaders, but would appreciate some guidance. Considering use of 4# P-line, 2# Fireline or 6/0 Uni-Thread. Are there any performance advantages or disadvantages with either of these filaments?

I've also noted that some commercial furled leaders have a tippet ring. How important is that? Everything else seems fairly straight-forward, except I'm not sure how to build in a tippet ring.

Thanks,
Old 11-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Furled Leaders

The furling pro here is Joni, you should send her a PM with your questions. I know she sells them but will probably help a fellow trying to learn,, her user name here is Joni.

Ard
Guest1 and fredaevans like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-18-2012, 06:20 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

My personal preference is tippet ring.. cinch knot a length of tippet.. add fly... I can see where people prefer a loop for having preset rigs.. so they can just loop2loop and be off... but i feel the loop causes more drag and attracts weeds more often
Old 11-18-2012, 06:54 PM

lotech_joe has a spectacular aura aboutlotech_joe has a spectacular aura about

I'm so awkward with my Schorb loops that I don't even mess with them. I use a surgeons knot to tie tippet to leader. I also just tie an overhand knot in the doubled back section of the butt. I find them easy enough, and cheap enough, to make that it isn't a problem for me. I find that the Uni 6/0 thread works best for me as far as turning the fly over and no coil memory. I use furled leaders almost exclusively.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:55 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Ard, thanks for recommending Joni. Found here blog and here pricing is reasonable enough to convince me to buy, leaving more time for improving my fly tying and fishing.

Itchmesir and lotech_joe
Appreciate your advice.
williamhj likes this.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:10 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

I make my own 5' leaders with 4# mono. that I use on my light warmwater rods. I don't fish trout. I made a couple with tying thread but did not like them personally. I use not metal ring and I use loop to loop conections on both ends of the leader. I really like them on the small creeks I fish. I also made a couple heavier for the salt and bass fishing but did not care for them either. I still use simple 2 step mono leaders plus tippet on my heavy rods.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:13 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
My personal preference is tippet ring.. cinch knot a length of tippet.. add fly... I can see where people prefer a loop for having preset rigs.. so they can just loop2loop and be off... but i feel the loop causes more drag and attracts weeds more often
Those tiny little shorb loops at the tippet end of a furled leader are a bear. The tippet ring is a much better option, I've been tying them onto my knotted leaders at the end of the taper section.

BUT, I you can still use a loop to loop by tying a Perfection Loop or Non-slip Mono Loop onto the end of you tippet and using the loop to loop onto the ring. This is much stronger connection than the old Clinch Knot. If you don't like the loop though you should learn the Orivs Knot and forgo the Clinch. It is nearly as easy to tie and exponentially stronger.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:23 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
Planning to create my own furled leaders, but would appreciate some guidance. Considering use of 4# P-line, 2# Fireline or 6/0 Uni-Thread. Are there any performance advantages or disadvantages with either of these filaments?

I've also noted that some commercial furled leaders have a tippet ring. How important is that? Everything else seems fairly straight-forward, except I'm not sure how to build in a tippet ring.

Thanks,
I have used P-line, fire-line and Uni-thread. I prefer the fireline (#2), then the P-line #4. Uni-thread works but not the way "I" like.
I learned to make my own only because I am cheap. I actully enjoy making them.
I haven't heard anyone ever complain about Joni's Furlead leaders. As a mater of fact I think I have only heard good comments.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
The furling pro here is Joni, you should send her a PM with your questions. I know she sells them but will probably help a fellow trying to learn,, her user name here is Joni.

Ard
Yah, what he said. Joni is a furled leader Yoda......Yodess? Not sure on that one.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:41 PM

45Fisher,

Why do you prefer Fireline over Uni-thread? What didn't you like about thread performance? Was it a casting issue or was it simply easier to work with regarding leader tying (twisting, etc).

Thanks,