The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 04:54 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Knot - Give this a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexs View Post
It is a variation of the "figure 8" knot. You need quite a bit of tippet to manage to tie this knot and the tag is not adjustable.
I'll stick to the two turn/improved "Davy" knot. All I need to tie the "Davy" knot is 3 inches of dropper/tippet, and I can adjust the tag to be less than a half inch.
It is a good knot to know though!
+1 Can you tie it with cold hands and in 15 mph wind and when you just saw the biggest steelie you ever laid eyes on after you just broke off on a sang?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:13 AM

jacksknots is on a distinguished road

Hi: This is my first post. I saw this reference to my knot on the web. What I will say about my knot is that it is very quick and easy to tie. (I can tie it in five seconds or less and I can tie it in the dark.) Also, it is very strong. It is especially good with fluorocarbon. I would appreciate if the readers of this post would at least give it a try. I believe you would like it. That being said you should use the knot that you like and are comfortable with.
It is my leader to tippet knot that I believe you should certainly try. It is much much stronger than a surgeons knot, blood knot, uni-knot, and even the j-knot. It is as quick and easy to tie as the surgeons knot. At this time I do not have a good video or drawing of this knot. (I will try to describe the steps to tie the knot and hope this will work until I can do something better.)
1. lay the two lines together as if tying a surgeons knot
2. bend a loop with the two lines exactly the same as with my Jack's hook knot
(have this loop pinched between the thumb and index finger of the left hand)
3. hold the tippet only in the right hand. looking at the loop, hold the tippet to be added at a right angle to the loop(on the right side of the loop) take the tippet counterclockwise 360 degrees around the base of the loop and through the back of the loop. (If you pull the tippet between your thumb and finger to the base of the loop it is better)
4. now hold the tippet at a right angle to the loop (on the left side of the loop) go clockwise 180 degrees and then through the front of the loop
5. while pinching the loop in the left hand pull the tippet out with the right hand.
6. snug up the two tags that will face away from the tippet and set the knot
( It is much easier to do than to write about)( if you go counter clockwise 180 degrees one more time it will be even stronger but I suggest that two times is strong enough)
I hope this is useful.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:43 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksknots View Post
Hi: This is my first post. I saw this reference to my knot on the web. What I will say about my knot is that it is very quick and easy to tie. (I can tie it in five seconds or less and I can tie it in the dark.) Also, it is very strong. It is especially good with fluorocarbon. I would appreciate if the readers of this post would at least give it a try. I believe you would like it. That being said you should use the knot that you like and are comfortable with.
It is my leader to tippet knot that I believe you should certainly try. It is much much stronger than a surgeons knot, blood knot, uni-knot, and even the j-knot. It is as quick and easy to tie as the surgeons knot. At this time I do not have a good video or drawing of this knot. (I will try to describe the steps to tie the knot and hope this will work until I can do something better.)
3. hold the tippet only in the right hand. looking at the loop, hold the tippet to be added at a right angle to the loop(on the right side of the loop) take the tippet counterclockwise 360 degrees around the base of the loop and through the back of the loop. (If you pull the tippet between your thumb and finger to the base of the loop it is better)
4. now hold the tippet at a right angle to the loop (on the left side of the loop) go clockwise 180 degrees and then through the front of the loop
5. while pinching the loop in the left hand pull the tippet out with the right hand.
( It is much easier to do than to write about)( if you go counter clockwise 180 degrees one more time it will be even stronger but I suggest that two times is strong enough)
I hope this is useful.
Welcome Jack! Thanks for sharing your new knots. I'd love to see this line to line knot in video.

Have you tested these knots? The Jacksknot, the terminal knot, looks like a nice knot. Similar to the Orvis, which is I believe the gold standard of easy to tie, extremely strong terminal knots.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:34 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

From the looks of it, I liked Jack's Knot.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:15 PM

Bonefishdick is on a distinguished road

I think the best and easiest knot out there is the Davy knot for trout and really small flies. Works just as well on big flies also.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:37 AM

missin44 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksknots View Post
I hope this is useful.

Jack

I Googled your leader to tippet knot and found this. The vid is a little confusing. How ever with your written description and vid I plan on giving it a try. As for those debunking the Jacks knot I I'm a little confused. The only negative I have seen written is that the tag end is too long, wasting too much tippet. I have found how much tag you end up with is purely a function of how much of a tag you allow when when running it though the loop as you finish the knot. In my case I am ending up with less tag than with a clinch knot.

As for the Davey Knot, after giving this knot a few tries, I find this knot very strong as well. The only issue I find is that you must cut the tag end just a bit long to prevent the knot from slipping. In my view a little practice with either and you'll never use the clinch knot again.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:32 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Man, that video is bad. At one point it looks like a bird's nest wind knot! I'll say that the finished knot is quite beautiful.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Jack. As far as I know, you are the first member with a knot named after him.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:40 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Unless there's a dude on here named Palomar or something.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:52 PM

missin44 is on a distinguished road

This thread might make a good sticky?