The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 09:49 AM

missin44 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up New Knot - Give this a try

I have found a new knot for tippet to fly. It's called Jacks' Knot. I fist saw it mention of this in Fly Fisherman mag. I did a Google search and found it. It claims to 100% breaking strength and easy to tie. Easier the the Clinch or Improved Clinch and stronger. After about 20 practice ties using Jacks Knot I agree, it's easy and stronger, in fact I didn't have the knot fail or break a single time. All breaks were mid-line. I tried it from 4x-7x with same results. So before you diss it give it a try.

Below are a couple vids links to get you started.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:52 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: New Knot - Give this a try

Hey, we have the same avatar -- so the question is who is the bigger Caps fan I guess .

Cool knot too.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:50 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

The guy who developed this knot works at the Bass Pro in Clarksville, Indiana. When my fiancee lived in Louisville I used to go in there to pick up fly tying materials once the Louisville fly shop closed. I still have a hand-drawn diagram of that knot, but always forget to try it out on the stream.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-20-2012, 10:56 AM

Its hard to say, just hoping that there will even be a season this year. If we have a season PM me and maybe hit a game sometime.

As for the knot this is the first ever I have seen that actually does what it says. Give it a try.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:16 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
As for the knot this is the first ever I have seen that actually does what it says. Give it a try.
Are you trying to say that the knot "jacks" you when you tie it? If so - let us know beforehand so we can put our wallet in a safe place.

Season is done as far as I'm concerned -- they might as well just announce it and be done with it. I really miss watching hockey, but I'm getting used to other activities....like sitting on the couch in the exact same position, thinking about hockey even though it's not on . With this and fly fishing, I lead a really, really ambitious lifestyle .
Old 11-20-2012, 11:17 AM

alexs will become famous soon enough

It is a variation of the "figure 8" knot. You need quite a bit of tippet to manage to tie this knot and the tag is not adjustable.
I'll stick to the two turn/improved "Davy" knot. All I need to tie the "Davy" knot is 3 inches of dropper/tippet, and I can adjust the tag to be less than a half inch.
It is a good knot to know though!
horseman_37601 likes this.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:03 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexs View Post
It is a variation of the "figure 8" knot. You need quite a bit of tippet to manage to tie this knot and the tag is not adjustable.

It is a good knot to know though!
That was my take too.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:39 AM

A few thoughts.

1. After a number of practice ties I'm getting the tag end much smaller.
2. In all of my attemps the tippet/line always breaks before the knot fails, I'll sacrifice a little bit of tippet for the security of the knot.
3. Having being a convert to furled leaders mono leaders are history, I only attach a single piece of tippet to the leader.

That said I'll try this Davey & Figure 8 knot.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:52 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Pretty cool knot. I like it better than the old clinch knot.

C-A-P-S!!!! CAPS, CAPS, CAPS!!!! Don't have the avatar, but still a caps fan.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:22 AM

I use this "fish killer" knot about 90% of the time. It is extremely strong and reliable, and takes about 10 seconds for me to tie.