The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: How to Target Larger Fish

I think the big fly-big fish holds very true, though there are some exceptions to the theory. (San Juan River, etc)

I think another great way to start hooking bigger fish is to get a good view of the hole/run/flat you are fishing and call up all of your knowledge to decide where the big fish should be. Its very easy to walk up on a stream, see rises at the head of a pool and go gonzo after the small fish up there eating bugs. Generally, the big fish will not be very near the area where the dinks are gorging on gnats. (but beware that they could be and might even chomp on the dink you have hooked!)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:56 AM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold

The Curmudgeon

Written by: Len Harris
Photos by: Len Harris

Curmudgeon
definition:
cur·mud·geon
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
1 : a crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old male trout
- cur·mud·geon·li·ness /-lE-n&s/ noun
- cur·mud·geon·ly /-lE/ adjective

A typical life expectantcy of a small stream trout varies. If a trout finds a good stream or "home" and it has the necessary cover and forage, a trout could live to an age of around 12 years.

Five years ago I found such a "home". I walked around the bend in a stream and it was before me. It is a *WOW* hole. A *WOW* hole is one that totally screams out "Large Trout Home".

Click the image to open in full size.

The top of the hole has a current line for oxygen and feed source. The hole itself is an old farm field bridge that has caved in ages ago. The boulder at the base of the bridge causes a severe step drop in depth. A step drop is where the depth of a hole goes from 2 feet to 8 feet deep in about 2 feet distance.

The rest of the hole has some cover on the left and a couple ambush points for The Cumudgeon to attack his prey. The hole is about 8 feet deep in the center. This allows the trout stay in this hole year round.

I scouted the hole from downstream in a crouched postion for a short time. It was March and the vegetation was limited. I watched the water. I saw no obvious feeding action.

This hole was so far off the main roadway it screamed Large Trout. It was way too far of a walk for the casual angler.

I thought for a long time how to attack this hole. The water was cold in March, so any possible large fish would be in the slow moving deep water. I needed to make a cast way up into the current to hide the splash of my cast.

I was worried that a smaller fish might spook the hole first and I would not have a chance at The Curmdgeon. I figured if i was going do it...It would be on the first 5 casts.

I casted for an hour at the hole with not even a whisper of a fish in the hole. From my experience, I learned that Old Male Trout are very territorial. When they are really old they chase ALL other trout out of the hole. They are Crusty and Ill Tempered.

After the hour I decided to walk out into the hole and carefully map the bottom for structure. The best way I knew was to actually wade the entire hole. I started at the edges and worked my way to the fast water funnel. The fast water funnel end was clearly over my waders so I poked my pole into the depths. Something flew out of the depths and did a circle in the hole and then stopped on the other far side of the hole.

From the wake the fish made in its circle..It was obviously a Big Fish. I had thrown the kitchen sink at this fish and had not even gotten a bump.

I visited this hole annually for five years. About ten times each year. I varied my casts. I varied time of day and night. I even sat on the hole in the middle of the night. I caught NO trout.
Last fall I was talking to a friend about The Curmodgeon. He asked what I had tried so far. I told him all of the tricks I tried. He asked me if I had ever tried to ANGER the trout. Make it so angry it would hit out of anger. I had my friend tell me what he meant by that.

He said that an Old Trout that big would be territorial and if i casted in and ripped the presentation through the hole at 100 miles an hour...I might anger it enough into hitting. I had tried everything else...So what the heck.

Second cast.....was bringing it as fast as I possibly could. It slammed it. It went deep and hunkered down on the bottom. After a change of direction battling it, I got it to the top of the water. I was not disappointed. It was well worth five years of hunting this fish.

I dubbed him ***The Curmudgeon*** and sent him on his way.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

What a Brute!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-10-2008, 10:57 AM

larrysmith9865 is on a distinguished road

What a nice fish *WOW*
Old 01-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Talk about showing us how its done!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Catching big fish is the goal of most fly fishers. Spinner's story pretty well lays out the concept of chasing a big fish that you know is there. Figuring out how to catch a known big fish is patiences and trying different methods.

Catching big fish when you don't know where they are is again Patience and experimenting with different methods. Most of the tricks have been discussed above. One of the most important things mentioned is fishing the feeding lanes. Trout rely on the currants to bring food to them and knowing how to read these currants or feeding lanes is important. The biggest fish will always have the best spot.

Want I wanted to speak about is catching big fish in general. The secret of catching big fish is where you are fishing. If you want to catch a 5 pound Rainbow, fishing a little feeder stream is not going to do it for you. You have to fish water that holds fish of that size. So we all know that big flies catch big fish. The same can be said that big fish are caught in big water. If anyone decides to become a big fish hunter then they must pick and choose the water they fish. My comments are aimed at Trout Fishers. With Spinner's story you can see he was fishing the biggest hole in the creek. He would never catch that size of fish up in the inlet stream.

When I float the Upper Green in my pontoon boat I have mentioned that I pass up a lot of water and just fish the sweet spots. I don't catch a lot of trout in the sections of the river that I fish but I have taken two 5 pounders. Knowing where to fish takes some knowledge and comes with experience. The places I fish most on the Upper Green have big water and deep holes. One river I fished in Alaska was very shallow and wide. I was having trouble catching any fish. Then I discovered that in the wide shallow river were holes 10 or 12 feet deep. That is where the big fish were laying.

Frank
Old 01-10-2008, 12:18 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

for starters, suggest you read:

"Fishing From Top To Bottom" ----- Sid Gordon
"Larger Trout For The Western Fly Fisherman" ---- Charles Brooks.

Best of luck
Old 01-10-2008, 12:34 PM

DANIEL J. is on a distinguished road

Holy *@#% Niiiiiccccee
Old 01-10-2008, 12:46 PM

larrysmith9865 is on a distinguished road

Here is a site Hatches mag, On the subject I found it interesting
Hatches Magazine - Streamer Fishing for Big Trout
Old 01-10-2008, 01:03 PM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold

Hatches Magazine - Len Harris