The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 12:23 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Wading jacket

It's that time of year where is starts to get cold, wet, and miserable without the right gear. Last year around this time I did very little wading and fishing because I didn't have a jacket that would keep me warm and dry. I am looking to change that this year. I've been looking at the Simms Guide and G3 but can't decide which one. I am open to other recommendations as well. I would like to get the Jacket through Cabela's since they give employees 1 item at cost for Christmas, which is a HUGE discount. I would appreciate any advice you guys and gals have on jackets.

Thanks!
Chase
Old 11-21-2012, 01:39 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wading jacket

I have the orvis pro guide which I like. Big pockets, comfortable, keeps me warm and dry.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:27 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get a discount on a G3, by all means you shouldn't even think twice about it. Those jackets are bombproof. Gore Tex breathes better than anything I've used.
mcnerney, osok and nicknick222 like this.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:21 AM

dar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
If you can get a discount on a G3, by all means you shouldn't even think twice about it. Those jackets are bombproof. Gore Tex breathes better than anything I've used.
I agree. The main thing is that it is breathable and you can layer underneath. There is nothing worse than fishing in the winter when you are cold and clamy. That is why I never wear blue jeans (summer or winter) under my waders.

Dave
Old 11-21-2012, 10:24 AM

tennessee dave will become famous soon enoughtennessee dave will become famous soon enough

Go with the Simms.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:36 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

if you're going to wear a vest of pack, probably doesn't matter, but the G3 can basically be used like a vest itself.. I'd get the G3

I have too many Simms jackets.. but I've never been disappointed with any of them
Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I think Gore Tex is probably the best material out there. It tends to be more durable and retain its water resistance longer than other breathable fabrics. It also doesn't get ruined by DEET like some others. I would pick whatever Gore Tex jacket has the best fit and the most pockets.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:01 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Simms certainly stepped up their game in recent years with outerwear. I feel that their GoreTex Jackets are on par with arc'teryx and Patagonia, both of which make bombproof shells. I have the Simms ProDry and it's killer. You may want to check that out too if you can swallow the price even at a discount.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:48 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for enforcing the idea of a Simms Jacket. I would really like to get a G4 or Pro Dry but for some reason Cabela's discontinued them and is no longer able to get them. I was going to have a Guide Jacket ordered in, but they only carry size Large and I need 2XL. So I went ahead and ordered in a G3 in 2XL to try on before I buy. At a near 50% discount I don't think I can go wrong....

Thanks for the help!
Chase
Old 11-21-2012, 03:01 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Put it this way, at full price I am convinced it is one of the best fishing designed jackets. There are pretty minimal differences between the G4 and G3 jackets, one of which being pit zips--which I really want in a jacket. Though for a 50% discount, I wouldn't even blink an eye at the lack of pit zips and would go G3. That's a helluva deal you got there chased, great choice!

Simms makes absolutely fabulous gear, it comes with a hefty price tag, but comfort on the stream is just not something I'm willing to compromise. That keeps me in the water longer. They also are good about warranty issues, so buy with confidence.