The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 03:49 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about
Default So where should we buy a cabin?

Kids are now all gone and we're looking to buy a small cabin close to good fly fishing. My wife is committed to staying at her place of employment for another 10 years. I'm older than my wife and am slowing down in my real job (I also guide). So the gameplan is to get an apartment here in the East Bay area of CA, close to my wife's work, and then find a cabin and spend vacations there and long weekends and I'll commute back and forth.
So I have to keep in mind the commute time and cost. It may be faster and cheaper to fly than drive with the cost of gasoline these days.
We've looked at several places in the Sierras, but all the cabins seem to be too close to each other for my liking (I don't want another cabin wall as my scenery).
I love Montana, love Idaho, but that kind of a move would depend on airport connections, I guess.
I like the fishing around Redding, but I know I could not handle the summers - not a fan of 100+ temperatures.
So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (and, Fred, I know what you're going to say).
Old 11-23-2012, 04:04 PM

wtl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: So where should we buy a cabin?

I'm not quite a local to that area, but if temperatures are a concern, I wonder what is available on some of the coastal rivers in say Washington. I don't know how much is available as real estate, but you could probably be assured of few very hot days in summer. You might also get a few steelhead, which would be a sort of big bonus.

I think it sometimes gets hot in Idaho and Montana too. I know last summer when I came through they were shutting down the Madison cause the water temps were climbing up there.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:58 PM

My youngest son is moving to Boise, so I might get to look around there.

I think I need to be more realistic about not having the "log cabin by the river in the wilderness." Not much of that left anymore - at least not close to a highway or airport. ****!
Old 11-23-2012, 06:43 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

I've been looking for a place to retire and Boise is on the top of my list. Your dollar goes a long way and you can enjoy city life while being close to good fly fishing. I also hear that in late fall they have open season on Hippies so you can add that to your hobby list. Hippy hair is good for wet flies and since hippies don't wear shoes, or at least just sandals, their calloused feet make for good caddis larvae fly material. Semper Fi.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:09 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtl View Post
I'm not quite a local to that area, but if temperatures are a concern, I wonder what is available on some of the coastal rivers in say Washington. I don't know how much is available as real estate, but you could probably be assured of few very hot days in summer. You might also get a few steelhead, which would be a sort of big bonus.

I think it sometimes gets hot in Idaho and Montana too. I know last summer when I came through they were shutting down the Madison cause the water temps were climbing up there.
Another advantage to WA, if you can establish residency, no State income tax. . Same with WY.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 11-23-2012, 08:12 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Outside of Grass Valley?

North of Winemuca/Elko northern Nevada and southern Idaho...Good fishing, very very private and available ground.

Definitely affordable and there is availability and great fishing near places like Soda Springs/Lava, ID.

Keep us posted.

I am trying to get up to Ard's neck of the woods.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:59 AM

Innes, I'm very open-minded, have nothing against hippies, am very thankful for Marines. Live and let live for me. That's one thing I love about the Bay Area, the people are very nonjudgmental, don't believe in their way is the only way and they need to impose their way on everyone else. I lived in an area most of my life that was ultra conservative, ultra religious, ultra segregationalistic. I'm glad I finally moved. I get it that a lot of people feel differently, but, thankfully, we're all wired differently. Ideally, I would like to find a retirement area a bit like the TV show Northern Exposure with interesting, intelligent, diverse residents (kind of like this forum).
Cochise, it's interesting that you say Grass Valley - my neighbors have a cabin there and are up there right now. I'll check it out.
My problem is, I've been fortunate enough to fish in a lot of beautiful places and the ones I've liked the most are out of my range financially (Sun Valley, for example).
Old 11-24-2012, 12:13 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
Innes, I'm very open-minded, have nothing against hippies, am very thankful for Marines. Live and let live for me. That's one thing I love about the Bay Area, the people are very nonjudgmental, don't believe in their way is the only way and they need to impose their way on everyone else. I lived in an area most of my life that was ultra conservative, ultra religious, ultra segregationalistic. I'm glad I finally moved. I get it that a lot of people feel differently, but, thankfully, we're all wired differently. Ideally, I would like to find a retirement area a bit like the TV show Northern Exposure with interesting, intelligent, diverse residents (kind of like this forum).
Cochise, it's interesting that you say Grass Valley - my neighbors have a cabin there and are up there right now. I'll check it out.
My problem is, I've been fortunate enough to fish in a lot of beautiful places and the ones I've liked the most are out of my range financially (Sun Valley, for example).
I don't have anything against hippies also. Just making fun. But, I have researched a lot where I'm going to retire, which is soon, and Idaho is top of the list. Not a lot of traffic, clean air, lots of places to fish. Good luck with your search. Vr
Old 11-24-2012, 12:20 PM

I'm thinking you may be right about Idaho. So many great places to fish and take pictures.
A friend of mine had a condo in Sun Valley for a while - and he also had a great airplane, so I was very fortunate to get invited to tag along on several trips. I never forgave him for selling the condo, taking up golf instead of fly fishing and buying a place in Palm Springs. I mean that was selfish on his part. What about me?
Old 11-24-2012, 12:26 PM

bobafett will become famous soon enoughbobafett will become famous soon enough

McCall, ID

Irwin, ID

Buffalo Valley, WY