The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 03:34 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ard's Alaska: Great film clip.

Alaska Is Beautiful
imxer, Hardyreels, fysh and 4 others like this.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:46 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: Ard's Alaska: Great film clip.

Oh oh! You jockeying in for a spot with the Mustachio Gang Fred?
Old 11-24-2012, 03:51 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Hummm, the thought hadn't crossed my mind ..... but come to think about it, it was (with one exception) 40 years ago. And that one time was the aftermath of taking a two story fall off my roof.

Well, the fall didn't hurt a bit. The sudden deceleration against the asphalt driveway didn't go so good.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice Fred,

We have our eyes on some new rivers for 2013 and I'm looking forward to it. I am swearing off buying more tackle in order to fund air transport for a 3 week float in 2014. It seems a long ways off but it didn't take long for 2012 to pass did it

This place does indeed have some very remote places where you can seek out an adventure but even for residents the cost factor is huge. For instance, after squaring away everything needed to support 3 weeks traveling a river in the bush you then need to get to the launch point. Getting there (launch point = where the Beaver will fly you and gear from) will cost 300 dollars. Then the drop off and pickup 3 weeks later down near the coast will be in the neighborhood of $1900. Of course there is no way to see the fuel prices in 2014 but it would cost 1900 today and I don't expect it to go down. The river and lake system I want to float is not in my part of Alaska so it'll be some money to make it happen. I figure I've got a small window of years to get it done because by 2014 I'll be closing in on 60. It don't get any easier crawling out of that little tent in the morning year by year ya know. I keep going but for all you younger fellas, don't plan on doing this after you retire. Age has a way of making things a little harder each 365 days

I am very fortunate to have a good river boat and a friend with a float plane here in my home range. This year I will go farther than I've ever been exploring the rivers here. The plan is to put some fuel cache's out in the middle of nowhere so I can not only get there but have fuel to return. I doubt that I'll make any films of trips but I will carry a couple cameras along to take single photos.
imxer, fysh, mcnerney and 3 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-24-2012, 05:30 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

That sounds like my kind of trip.

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Nice Fred,

We have our eyes on some new rivers for 2013 and I'm looking forward to it. I am swearing off buying more tackle in order to fund air transport for a 3 week float in 2014. It seems a long ways off but it didn't take long for 2012 to pass did it

This place does indeed have some very remote places where you can seek out an adventure but even for residents the cost factor is huge. For instance, after squaring away everything needed to support 3 weeks traveling a river in the bush you then need to get to the launch point. Getting there (launch point = where the Beaver will fly you and gear from) will cost 300 dollars. Then the drop off and pickup 3 weeks later down near the coast will be in the neighborhood of $1900. Of course there is no way to see the fuel prices in 2014 but it would cost 1900 today and I don't expect it to go down. The river and lake system I want to float is not in my part of Alaska so it'll be some money to make it happen. I figure I've got a small window of years to get it done because by 2014 I'll be closing in on 60. It don't get any easier crawling out of that little tent in the morning year by year ya know. I keep going but for all you younger fellas, don't plan on doing this after you retire. Age has a way of making things a little harder each 365 days

I am very fortunate to have a good river boat and a friend with a float plane here in my home range. This year I will go farther than I've ever been exploring the rivers here. The plan is to put some fuel cache's out in the middle of nowhere so I can not only get there but have fuel to return. I doubt that I'll make any films of trips but I will carry a couple cameras along to take single photos.
This would be one heck of a trip. 2014 and is there any space available?
Old 11-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Fred.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 11-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Fred: Great film clip! Almost looked like an advertisement for NFO pontoon boats!

Ard: That sounds like a great trip in the making!

Larry

Old 11-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Larry,

I sent Rockriver a PM soon as I read his post. He'll have to tell me his real name if he's going to come up though

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-25-2012, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great videoThanks for sharing
I've seen a bear with a mustacheweird isn't it?
Old 11-25-2012, 09:19 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Very strange JP...very strange indeed!