The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Clouser problems

Almost everytime I tie a clouser the top color bucktail can be pulled strait out no matter how tight I tie it in. Any help?
Old 11-24-2012, 11:18 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Clouser problems

tie tighter.... also are you laying down a layer of thread on the hook shank? if all else fails.. krazy glue wont
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:33 PM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about

Agree with itchme, apply plenty of glue. Add glue after just a few thread wraps, and more as you continue to wind the thread. That should solve your problem.

Tom
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yah. This one is right up my alley. I must tie at least a hundred most years. The hair on the bottom is never a problem but as you have discovered, the top is a different story. Here is how I fix that. When you start the hair on the top, just get enough tight turns to hold it in place. Four or five is usually enough. Make them TIGHT. Then trim all the hair back at an angle. It does not have to be a very low angle, just enough for the thread to easily ramp up on. A 45 is plenty. At this point put head cement into the ends of the hair. Make sure it gets well up in the hair. Wrap tightly over the ends one good layer. I use white 140 ultra thread which becomes fairly transparent with the head cement. I use Sally Hansen's hard as nails. I then put a thin coat on again and wrap the fly keeping enough tension on it to just miss breaking it. I then whip finish it and clip off the thread. I then take the thread and do a few wraps over the body going up the tag end of the thread so it will hold the hair down in a non-flaired position for the next step. I then put a coat of head cement on the head and go up past the thread into the hair for a good 1/16th of an inch or a bit better. If my head cement is getting down in the bottle and thicker I use a new bottle for this, and up till this point every previous mentioned step. I use the thicker stuff for the last coat or two, and the hair bump over the eyes. The hair bump thing is a relatively new addition to my proceedure as Pike and rocks are hard on this spot on the fly. If you do it this way it will stop your hair loss problem. At least the flies anyway.

One last trick is that if you have a batch of hair that likes to flair, once it has dried head cement, hold the fly upright in running water as hot as your fingers can stand. While the fly is wet and in the shape you want place it in a wash cloth or paper towel and fold it over it. Place something on it to hold it in place till it is dry. Once it's dry it will hold that shape including once it's in the water and redried.

This makes for very strong flies.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:21 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Oh yah. This one is right up my alley. I must tie at least a hundred most years. The hair on the bottom is never a problem but as you have discovered, the top is a different story. Here is how I fix that. When you start the hair on the top, just get enough tight turns to hold it in place. Four or five is usually enough. Make them TIGHT. Then trim all the hair back at an angle. It does not have to be a very low angle, just enough for the thread to easily ramp up on. A 45 is plenty. At this point put head cement into the ends of the hair. Make sure it gets well up in the hair. Wrap tightly over the ends one good layer. I use white 140 ultra thread which becomes fairly transparent with the head cement. I use Sally Hansen's hard as nails. I then put a thin coat on again and wrap the fly keeping enough tension on it to just miss breaking it. I then whip finish it and clip off the thread. I then take the thread and do a few wraps over the body going up the tag end of the thread so it will hold the hair down in a non-flaired position for the next step. I then put a coat of head cement on the head and go up past the thread into the hair for a good 1/16th of an inch or a bit better. If my head cement is getting down in the bottle and thicker I use a new bottle for this, and up till this point every previous mentioned step. I use the thicker stuff for the last coat or two, and the hair bump over the eyes. The hair bump thing is a relatively new addition to my proceedure as Pike and rocks are hard on this spot on the fly. If you do it this way it will stop your hair loss problem. At least the flies anyway.

One last trick is that if you have a batch of hair that likes to flair, once it has dried head cement, hold the fly upright in running water as hot as your fingers can stand. While the fly is wet and in the shape you want place it in a wash cloth or paper towel and fold it over it. Place something on it to hold it in place till it is dry. Once it's dry it will hold that shape including once it's in the water and redried.

This makes for very strong flies.

Are you ever good! LOL. Also, Diver Dan, you mentioned "if the Hard--As---Nails is "thicker"....etc.

It may be worth knowing generally, that Nail Polishes in general, including Sally Hansen's, can be thinned with ordinary Acetone from the Hardware store.

So, I guess I am saying, all Fly Tiers should keep some Acetone in their um...purse.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:17 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

As an alternative to bucktail, I tie all my clousers with either marabou, selective craft fur, and even rabbit strips. These material give the fly a more "alive pulsation " when stripping it in, IMO.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:07 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Great advice by the collective group, I'm a big fan of Sally Hansen's. I have been using the Hard As Nails for years, but recently found another that I like. Try the Diamond Flash Top Coat, comes in a black bottle with silver cap.

Also a big fan of the bunny strips. I recently tied some bunny leeches, they really come alive in the water as Okuma mentioned.

Okuma, I'd love to see one of those bunny Clousers. I'm trying to envision it, but keep coming back to a fly that looks like a double bunny?
Old 11-25-2012, 07:19 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

No double bunny's my friend. Rabbit strip on the underside, fur side up to the hook bend. Top side, hook side down, either marabou or craft fur. Craft fur is tied shorter the the bunny strip. Maybe a little krystal flash...undulating streamer!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:04 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
No double bunny's my friend. Rabbit strip on the underside, fur side up to the hook bend. Top side, hook side down, either marabou or craft fur. Craft fur is tied shorter the the bunny strip. Maybe a little krystal flash...undulating streamer!
Useless without pictures.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:23 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

always great ideas on this site! we do need a photo though...