The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By MoscaPescador

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Banned

chipgerrard is on a distinguished road
Default Abel Super 10

Has anyone ever used a super 10. Reviews would be great.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2012, 07:01 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abel Super 10

It's an Abel, how bad could it be? The biggest thing with Abels is getting the right one to pair with your rod. Other than that, my guess is that it will be like any other Abel. Stellar performance.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:55 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abel Super 10

The Abel cork drag system is one of the better ones on the market. It has a rather large range of adjustment. I have never lost a fish to reel failure (user error, yes - many times).

I have issues with the dimensions. I have never been a big fan of a wide reel with a short body. Two issues with that type of aspect ratio are slower retrieval rate and possibility of line stacking. On 10 weights, I prefer to use a Super 11. By using a taller body and a narrower spool, there was less chance for line stacking, and the retrieval rate was faster.

Dennis
sweetandsalt likes this.