The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 04:15 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default time to get a wading staff....

Today i took myself you fishing as my wife and daughter are overseas for a couple weeks.
Drove about an hour to the stream stopping by the tackle store to get some supplies, you know, because it was close by the river and I 'needed' some fly tying materials and a few leaders.
Got to the stream. The thermometer in the car read 39F and the guy in the store reckoned the water would be about 40F

Tackled up my 3wt CT, which i had picked up in the recent clymb deal. Man,that little rod is something else. A pleasure to cast, light and responsive in the hand. At 7'6 it was just right for this stream. I wish now i'd picked up a 5 or 6 wt too when they were on offer. There was gusty wind today and that little rod punched my WF3F right across the stream with nice tight loops. Gold head fly and everything.

First fly was my Sparkle Ghost Bugger. 3rd cast - FISH ON!. This is the first fish i've caught in about a year and a half - at least one that wasnt foul hooked. Earlier in the year i caught a little brownie in the belly at rose to my EHC, but i dont count those guys as fish caught, more stolen. Previous fish before that was in Maine in Summer 2011.
Sure, i dont get to fish too often, but the few times i've been out in the intervening years, i've been skunked by finicky trout, that i could see and knew the flies were in front of their mouths.

Anyways. The Sparkle Ghost Bugger - it works. Get some tied up!

Working down the short riffle for about 45 mins with the fly and no other fish. Changed to another of my creations, the Royal Coachman nymph, and slowly stepping down stream, lost my balance -KERPLUNK.

Luckily the water wasnt deep, but it sure as all hell was cold. Had my wading belt on nice and tight, so very little water down the waders. Hands and lower arms were drenched, and with the cold air temp i had to call it a day after a hour or so of fishing. I wish i'd brought some spare clothes with me though, cause i was pumped for fishing, especially after catching the little guy.
I took a photo of him, revived him and sent him on his merry way again.
My hands still smell of fish, brings back memories of going fishing with my dad when i was a little'un.

Unfortunately, my cell phone (with the photo) got a little damp. Thought it was unrecoverable, but i have it now in a bag of rice to draw out the moisture. Hopefully it recovers, otherwise its gonna be an expensive hour on the water, considering my 'stop at the tackle shop'

So, at 33 years old, i've decided to add a wading staff to my arsenal and probably a PFD too while i'm at it. To be honest, this little dunk has been a while coming as i've had a few near misses in the past.

Hopefully tomorrow i'll have a pic of the trout.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-25-2012, 04:31 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: time to get a wading staff....

Glad to hear you are for the most part OK Eunan. Getting wet this time of year can be disastrous--think hypothermia. Wading staffs aren't a bad idea for anyone of any age truth be told. There are a couple of streams I fish that are downright difficult to wade when the water is low. When the water is up, they are dangerous. Several years ago I had a torn medial meniscus and the surgery wasn't scheduled until after a fishing trip. Thank God for that cheapie hiking staff I picked up, that's the only reason I was able to get through the trip. Well that and Advil.

As for the cell phone, keep it in a bag or bowl of rice longer than you might like to. I have also had good luck with cell phones and 2 way radios with those little packets that come in electronics. Throw them in a ziplock bag along with the packet for a day or so. The hardest part is to keep from being tempted to try them. Also, if your device has a battery, remove that immediately once wet, or turn it off immediately. I've am 2 for 2 with this method so far. Knock on wood. Good luck with the phone.

Nice to hear you had success with your new setup!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:13 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I've thought about getting a wading staff.. but then it's just one more thing I gotta carry around.. I also keep a fresh pair of clothes and thermals in my car.. keep them in a backpack.. they stay out of the way.. and it's always there no matter the situation.. better safe than sorry...

On another note.. Don't be so heart broken.. i've heard of more expensive days on the water.. A guy I met up with from another forum shattered his display on his fish finder.. dropped his iphone in the water and snapped the tip of his brand new 8wt.. all during a morning outting before I even met up with him to go fishing.. Talk about bad luck..

Also you're right.. those CTs are great. picked up a 8'6" 3wt from the big C for $75.. Casts like a dream.. even with sub-par line.. Gonna be a beast of a setup once my SS Ultimate Trout Taper comes in... Also they are still on sale over there if you're looking to pick up a 5wt
Old 11-25-2012, 06:22 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Phone is recovering slowly, but had to get this photo off it before it dies completely.

Tommy Trout -Courtesy of Tulpenhocken Creek, PA
Click the image to open in full size.

I'll look in to that CT 5wt. Might have to sell my other 5 wt to finance it.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-25-2012, 07:13 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

I've flipped a canoe in very cold water (high 30's) on a windy day. Don't want to be that uncomfortable again, if I can help it. Carrying a collapsible wading staff is a minor inconvenience compared to the improved stability and ability to avoid unseen holes.

I checked various options and decided on the Bass Pro's White River Fly Shop collapsible staff at $35. Seems to be nearly as good as staffs costing three or four times more. Keep it in the nylon pouch while fishing, but easily straightens out with flip of wrist. Wouldn't wade without it.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
I've flipped a canoe in very cold water (high 30's) on a windy day. Don't want to be that uncomfortable again, if I can help it. Carrying a collapsible wading staff is a minor inconvenience compared to the improved stability and ability to avoid unseen holes.

I checked various options and decided on the Bass Pro's White River Fly Shop collapsible staff at $35. Seems to be nearly as good as staffs costing three or four times more. Keep it in the nylon pouch while fishing, but easily straightens out with flip of wrist. Wouldn't wade without it.
Thanks for the tip.
I didnt want to break the bank with a high end staff. I"ll check it out

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-25-2012, 09:27 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I have an equivelent staff to the White River, been using it for 4 years now. Gave the one before that away and it was fine after 3 years, the guy just had no money and I watched him "not quite drown" a few times.
imxer and dakotakid like this.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:51 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty Bow! Sucks going swimming in November! But at least you got out and got one! My daughter live right near the Tulp and I always say when I visit that I'm going to try but never do. Now I have incentive!Just not planning a swim!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-25-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Pretty Bow! Sucks going swimming in November! But at least you got out and got one! My daughter live right near the Tulp and I always say when I visit that I'm going to try but never do. Now I have incentive!Just not planning a swim!
If you are gonna go there, let me know and i'll meet ya. Any excuse for me to get out...
3wt is plenty big for that creek. theres some lunkers in it, but generally fish are on the small side.

Eunan

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-25-2012, 10:02 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yep, carrying a collapsible wading staff is very minor and a way better option than not having one
i have one i got at cabelas 4 years ago and its still going strong

Click the image to open in full size.

casey

ARFE