The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 07:38 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Making cork grip "thicker"?

Hi,

Is there a way to make the rod handle thicker, short of having a shop install a new cork grip? I have an older rod with a more skinny cork and I prefer the more modern, thicker grip. I ride bikes 365 days a year and have experience wrapping handlebars...so I've thought about doing that at times...but I thought that maybe the more sage folks on the fly forum had a solution .

Thanks,

TB
Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Making cork grip "thicker"?

i think this would work....
RodWrap Grip Wrap | mudhole.com

casey

ARFE
Old 11-25-2012, 09:13 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

You could wrap it in rattan. I've done three grips that way and really like the feel of it. Here's a pic of a 2wt.

Click the image to open in full size.

It's actually pretty easy, you wrap the rattan over the cork base. Just need a razor blade, thread, super glue, and wood glue (I used titebond III). If you're interested I can let you know how to do it.
Hardyreels and oarfish like this.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:15 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

You could wrap it with some rattan.
Click the image to open in full size.
---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

Damn, great minds think alike!
williamhj likes this.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:18 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

the "dual post"....love it
btw, rattan would be waaaaay nicer than that grip wrap

casey
williamhj likes this.

ARFE
Old 11-25-2012, 11:47 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I might as well start some, ummm... debate!
You said you like the more modern, thicker grip but some of modern rods seem to be in slim grip mode.
The first time I tried a rod with a slimmer grip I thought for sure it wouldn't do. I'm 6' 3" tall with very large hands and always thought I needed a thicker grip. After using the slimmer grip for a season on what ended up being my go-to rod I noticed I had no traditional, end of season casting callus on the little and ring finger large knuckles and I never once had my hand cramp up that season.
On all but the heaviest weight rods I found the slim grips give me more control and seem to be far easier on my hands.
I will say the rods I use with the slim grips are a bit slimmer than was usual a few years ago but I have no idea how they would compare with the size of the older rod you spoke of.
Though grip size and shape isn't discussed much for some reason the grip is the main connection to the rod and should be considered more IMHO just like you're doing. I'm just tossing this out there for consideration.
horseman_37601 likes this.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:40 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good point Jack,

I too have some old rods with very petite corks when you speak of diameter. I too like the finer feel of the more narrow grip and wouldn't want them fatter. But this is for sure a matter of personal preference.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-26-2012, 05:11 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

That rattan grip looks great, so I'll bite. How is that done?

I'm also positive that I hate the skinny grip. I find myself having to grip it harder with my small hands, and I get aches from it versus the other rod I use which has a thicker grip. I also notice the same problem with skinny bicycle grips/tape.

Thanks,
Old 11-26-2012, 05:11 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
I might as well start some, ummm... debate!
You said you like the more modern, thicker grip but some of modern rods seem to be in slim grip mode.
The first time I tried a rod with a slimmer grip I thought for sure it wouldn't do. I'm 6' 3" tall with very large hands and always thought I needed a thicker grip. After using the slimmer grip for a season on what ended up being my go-to rod I noticed I had no traditional, end of season casting callus on the little and ring finger large knuckles and I never once had my hand cramp up that season.
On all but the heaviest weight rods I found the slim grips give me more control and seem to be far easier on my hands.
I will say the rods I use with the slim grips are a bit slimmer than was usual a few years ago but I have no idea how they would compare with the size of the older rod you spoke of.
Though grip size and shape isn't discussed much for some reason the grip is the main connection to the rod and should be considered more IMHO just like you're doing. I'm just tossing this out there for consideration.
I'm as tall as Jackster, big hands also. And I prefer smaller grips. When fishing stilllwaters, I usually take 3 rods- all different lines. BIIx, McFarland GTX and an Orvis T3. If I use the Winston and switch to one of the others, boy I notice a difference in the grip. Much love for the BIIx grip over the others. My Orvis One Ounce and F&F grips are good for me too.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:38 AM

Maybe it's a small hands thing then. I have huge, monster feet and I tend toward lanky....but I have pretty small hands. My wife and I wear the same gloves actually and she's more on the tall side, but certainly well-within what would be considered "normal".

BTW - I'm really more of a function >> beauty with most things in life, but those rattan grips are really suave on those fly rods .

TB