The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 08:55 AM

inusuit will become famous soon enough
Default Recommend a net.

Please recommend a medium sized net, say 12x15, with fish-friendly mesh that won't break the bank. I'm looking at the White River Fly Shop Hobbs Creek from Bass Pro for $25 bucks. Any other ideas, or experience with this particular net would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:27 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Recommend a net.

I'd get that net.. Probably the best bang for your buck.. beyond that you'll spend a lot more for the same style of net...
Old 11-26-2012, 09:41 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

inusuit:

I think you identified a good net.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 AM

mtnwkr will become famous soon enoughmtnwkr will become famous soon enough

Walmart carries a nice wooden net by Cortland with a clear rubber bag for $20. The wood work is good but the finishing isn't. It's also got a thick coat of spar varnish that's sloppily applied.
I bought one, stripped the net off, and finished sanding it (I sanded the cortland logo out of the handle too). I stained it and waxed it and tied the net back on. Now it looks like something you'd pay $100 for at a proper fly shop.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:14 AM

Nice work on the net. I'll check the local Walmart. Oddly, it's the best place in Cheyenne to get fly tackle. Advice to this old beginner appreciated.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:27 AM

mtnwkr will become famous soon enoughmtnwkr will become famous soon enough

Forgot to add, the hoop is 15x11".
Old 11-26-2012, 11:20 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwkr View Post
Walmart carries a nice wooden net by Cortland with a clear rubber bag for $20. The wood work is good but the finishing isn't. It's also got a thick coat of spar varnish that's sloppily applied.
I bought one, stripped the net off, and finished sanding it (I sanded the cortland logo out of the handle too). I stained it and waxed it and tied the net back on. Now it looks like something you'd pay $100 for at a proper fly shop.

The Walmart one came with that ghost netting? Cool. Nice work on the finis.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:15 PM

spiderninja will become famous soon enough

I got a similar net for about 25 bucks at Jax outdoor gear here in Foco in case you make it down south.
billyspey likes this.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:38 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

The wooden nets look great, but there are lighter options. Borrowed several nets, including wooden frame, from friends this summer. Wooden frame is heavy and the net is heavier still if it has a rubber mesh basket. I went with the Frabill Trout net sold by Cabela's for $20 (11" x 15"), which has a lightweight aluminum frame and a rubberized basket (not 100 percent rubber). Great net at a very reasonable price.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderninja View Post
I got a similar net for about 25 bucks at Jax outdoor gear here in Foco in case you make it down south.
I fish the Poudre about every weekend, so JAX is an option and not much out of the way. Walmart here did not have a net with "ghost" mesh.

mtnwkr, looks like you have the magnet attached to the net with zip ties. Do you attach the coiled lanyard to the handle, or go without a secure attachment?

How do others rig the net to the rest of your gear? I don't wear a vest, but have a D ring on the back of my waders. I've been hanging the net from my belt, but it gets snagged and is beat up from banging on rocks.