The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By brucerducer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Some (not so old) Flyfishing Books etc.

This is just a general discussion of some reading I've been doing that proved very interesting. There are two of my Flyfishing books that I dug out of the shed a couple weeks ago, where I had stored them. They aren't that old either.

But I was especially impressed with the knowledge in
"Flyfishing Tips, Techniques & Strategies From The Experts" by Paul N. Fling &
Donald L. Puterbaugh (with Phil Camera, Al Diem, Jerry Gibbs & Joan Salvato Wulff.

This book, published just 1997, says it borrows some material from an earlier Joan Wulff book.

The other book that I get so much knowledge from is
"Essential Trout Flies" by Dave Hughes copyright 2000.

I often cannot fall asleep when I ought to, so I read these and many other Flyfishing books in bed. They are very instructive. I must have about a dozen or so Flyfishing books at my bedside, and about half of them are brand new titles.

My current fascination is with tying the "Copper John" for the first time. So I thought I would dig through these great books, and read about it, but there's nothing there.

It seems that the "Copper John"

Tying the Original Copper John | MidCurrent

...was still so new a pattern, that many of the books weren't yet including it.

Fortunately, YouTube videos on the patterns are plentiful and instructive.

But these are really great books. Hughes writes things like this, which really makes my heart go all "a-twitter" if you know what I mean:

"Females of the two most abundant trout-stream caddis groups, gray and spotted sedges, swim to the bottom to deposit their eggs."----p. 78, "Essential Trout Flies" by Dave Hughes copyright 2000.

That might not mean much to a veteran Fly Fisherman, but for a "hack" fisherman like me, it's a very useful information to learn that Gray Sedges & Spotted Sedges are the largest group of Caddis Flies for me to try to imitate in tying.

On every page, Dave Hughes goes into detail, like when he indicates where and how the Dry Fly, the Sparkle Dun, is so versatile.

Also, referring back to the Paul Fling and Donald Puterbaugh book, the colored illustrations of the four basic groups of Flies
are huge and very well spaced out. (And I emphasis huge and well spaced out, so much so, that I teach my grandchildren Fly Fishing basics with the Fling & Puterbaugh book).

Huge illustrations on the Insects, Reading the Stream, and Casting Basics....this is a really wonderful book, whose colored illustrations making up 1/4 to 1/3, or 1/2 of a page make it highly recommended.

Just some thoughts that have been very exciting for me lately, while thinking of what to tie next.

I keep telling myself, that I should make a complete list of my book pile, but it never seems to make sense. There are so many books. I could just as easily have written with enthusiasm of some other recent purchases, where the author copies the Dave Huges style of identifying What the Fly imitates, and where in the US it can be used effectively; but it was the fact that these books of only 10 to 15 years ago were so well written so instructive for me at this particular stage of tying and fishing, that I wanted to share that with some of the others who wonder about What---To--Tie, and how to gradually get informed.

I doubt if I read any of these books more than 1/2 hour at a time on any day.
As I develop questions over the weeks of tying and fishing, I find that the books mean more to me, after I begin to learn what these authors are writing about. It seemed to me that after I learned a little, I wouldn't need a book so much. That was my mindset. I find to my surprise, that as I learn more basics, I am able to understand the authors on another level still, than I ever imagined. It never occurred to me that over time, the books would show, you know, "more depth" than my first reading offered. I tend to think, egotistically, that a Quick Read is all I need, and them I "know"....but I don't.

I can only speculate on "how much" a guy really has to know to publish a good Flyfishing book. You know what I mean? It's not like you can just get some "Dragon" software and pound out all this stuff. There's a hell of a lot more to it than that.

. Just some thoughts you know.

The old Ball & Chain says that apparently, this has had the effect of relaxing me, because I have a very stress filled life.
I find that each day and week, I have a confidence that Flyfishing and Fly Tying will "always be there" when I want to "get away from it all". Once I start going through my gear, or drive down to the local Flyfishing store to find the right hook or hackle, and sit down at that bench,
some kind of a deep feeling comes over me.
Some things, you cannot really put into words; but I know that other people have found that feeling too. It shows in many ways.

Hardyreels and oarfish like this.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:23 PM

double dry is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some (not so old) Flyfishing Books etc.

Interesting thoughts. I too often fall asleep after reading a portion of a fly fishing book.

"I can only speculate on "how much" a guy really has to know to publish a good Flyfishing book. You know what I mean? It's not like you can just get some "Dragon" software and pound out all this stuff. There's a hell of a lot more to it than that." My book was five years in the making. I compiled a ton of data in that time frame. Lots of folks know what I know, maybe I just had the hankering to lay it out systematically.

Dave Hughes is the man.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:20 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Some (not so old) Flyfishing Books etc.

I would guess you would find background on the Copper John in a book called "Barr Flies" by John Barr... as he is the creator of said fly..

Currently I'm bouncing between "The Compleate Angler".. figured it's a fly fishing classic.. I should read it.. then to hone my skills I'm reading... "Dynamic Nymphing Techniques" and "Single-Handed Spey Casting"..

I too have recently started to read before bed... helps me settle down.. otherwise i can be up staring at my computer screen or the tv til 4-5am

I also have both books you mentioned in my Amazon wish-list... If i don't get them for X-mas I'll finally pull the trigger myself