The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Dilemma

With my impending glass build (still not started), i sold my soft med action 5wt, thinking i should pick up a fast action. I've been fishing my Redington CT lately and love how it casts, while not a true "Fast" action, i like how the 3 wt fished in windy conditions on my last trip and was gonna get a 5wt since they're on sale.

Now, i also have a 'fast' 6wt Cabelas LSi, which i swapped for another rod i didnt use.

Problem here is, with lines reels etc for the 5wt, do i buy a rod to go with those, or do i buy a line to go with the 6wt and spare reel i already have.
The primary use of the fast 5 would be as a nymph stick so i didnt have to re-tool the glass rod if i wanted to fish riffles, though my primary use for the glass would be dry flies and medium cricks.

The LSi is gonna do the 'nymph rig' job fine, ain't it??

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dilemma

I'd line up the 6wt, then you not only have a good nymph rig rod you'll also have something to swing/strip streamers with.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

^^^ what this guy says

6wt is the new 5wt imho
Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

A little off subject here but reel will you mount on the Kabuto? I'd see if you couldn't grab a spare spool for it and throw a 4wt on it. For that crispy dry fly action. It will feel like a faster action rod and still be able to cast a long leader and make a softer landing.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:19 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
A little off subject here but reel will you mount on the Kabuto? I'd see if you couldn't grab a spare spool for it and throw a 4wt on it. For that crispy dry fly action. It will feel like a faster action rod and still be able to cast a long leader and make a softer landing.
orvis access III

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Eunan,

If you've read my posts / opinions over the years you may already know that I think that our seeming confusion is caused by over marketing in relation to rods, reels, and lines. So, this is just more of the same, it's what I think

I think that in these current times we, fishermen, are way too driven by the idea that there is a need for a different rod - rod length - line weight - etc. for every single aspect of fishing. Many of us have been 'marketized' to the point where we believe what we read or watch about fly rods. We buy into the idea that we need a 'tip flex' for one application and a more 'mid flexing' action for another. When I read your original post I spotted the phrase, "if I wanted to fish riffles", please take my word when I say that riffles can be fished with any weight or action rod.

While I fully understand and relate to the tendency of a modern fly fisher to continually acquire more tackle (I do it too) what I don't do is to believe that I own any rods that could not act as a stand alone, do it all rod for general trout fishing. When in doubt I believe a fellow can reach for a good medium action fly rod and get that rod to do almost anything within reason. A simple change in the timing and speed / length of the casting stroke will produce either a wide open loop for dropping dry flies with nary a ripple or a tight wind cheating loop for the delivery of larger flies etc at greater distances. Conversely it is much more difficult albeit not impossible to do the same with a super stiff tip flexing rod. I guess my whole point would be that I don't worry about what fly or whether I'll be fishing riffles vs. pools, nymph vs. dry, I'm looking for good general medium actions that will make a good fishing rod.

As for matching a reel to that Kabuto blank, I'd have to get the rod done and then start trying reels to find the perfect match in both balance & aesthetics. Matching them up (rods to reels) can be much more of a challenge than deciding on a rod in the first place.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-29-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Eunan,

If you've read my posts / opinions over the years you may already know that I think that our seeming confusion is caused by over marketing in relation to rods, reels, and lines. So, this is just more of the same, it's what I think

I think that in these current times we, fishermen, are way too driven by the idea that there is a need for a different rod - rod length - line weight - etc. for every single aspect of fishing. Many of us have been 'marketized' to the point where we believe what we read or watch about fly rods. We buy into the idea that we need a 'tip flex' for one application and a more 'mid flexing' action for another. When I read your original post I spotted the phrase, "if I wanted to fish riffles", please take my word when I say that riffles can be fished with any weight or action rod.

While I fully understand and relate to the tendency of a modern fly fisher to continually acquire more tackle (I do it too) what I don't do is to believe that I own any rods that could not act as a stand alone, do it all rod for general trout fishing. When in doubt I believe a fellow can reach for a good medium action fly rod and get that rod to do almost anything within reason. A simple change in the timing and speed / length of the casting stroke will produce either a wide open loop for dropping dry flies with nary a ripple or a tight wind cheating loop for the delivery of larger flies etc at greater distances. Conversely it is much more difficult albeit not impossible to do the same with a super stiff tip flexing rod. I guess my whole point would be that I don't worry about what fly or whether I'll be fishing riffles vs. pools, nymph vs. dry, I'm looking for good general medium actions that will make a good fishing rod.

As for matching a reel to that Kabuto blank, I'd have to get the rod done and then start trying reels to find the perfect match in both balance & aesthetics. Matching them up (rods to reels) can be much more of a challenge than deciding on a rod in the first place.
Couldnt agree more and that is why i've primarily limited myself to rods to fit the size of fish/size of river i want to fish, though the glass rod was an unnecessary 'want'
3wt for small stream you could spit across
5/6 wt for bigger streams moderate size fish
8wt for salmon/steelhead

looks like its gonna stay that way too!
itchmesir likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-29-2012, 02:36 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Too often people get caught up in buying rods.. I know a friend that has well over 50 fly rods and counting... seems a little overkill.. and im sure most of them haven't seen the light of day ever maybe..

These days when I buy a rod.. it's either to replace one I have that I'm not confident in.. or to fill in a niche.. I'd own about 8 rods right now If I didn't get rid of a few here and there.. and they would be no use to me.. I have my 8'6" 3wt which covers all the smaller waters and will work fine for dries, nymphs and small streamers.. my 7'6" 4wt which will cover those tight spaced streams... my 6wt for the bigger streams and bigger rigs.. and then my 9wt for heavy flies.. T14 and bigger sink tips and hopefully bigger fish

Also thinning out the rod collection to make room for another keeps the ol lady off my back
(more of a preventative measure.. she hasn't said anything yet)
Old 11-29-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Too often people get caught up in buying rods.. I know a friend that has well over 50 fly rods and counting... seems a little overkill.. and im sure most of them haven't seen the light of day ever maybe..

These days when I buy a rod.. it's either to replace one I have that I'm not confident in.. or to fill in a niche.. I'd own about 8 rods right now If I didn't get rid of a few here and there.. and they would be no use to me.. I have my 8'6" 3wt which covers all the smaller waters and will work fine for dries, nymphs and small streamers.. my 7'6" 4wt which will cover those tight spaced streams... my 6wt for the bigger streams and bigger rigs.. and then my 9wt for heavy flies.. T14 and bigger sink tips and hopefully bigger fish

Also thinning out the rod collection to make room for another keeps the ol lady off my back
(more of a preventative measure.. she hasn't said anything yet)

Prevention is the best cure

Addicted To Vise
Old 11-29-2012, 03:24 PM

Apple a day....