The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 09:42 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some help for a gift

Chased is on to something there. I was looking around and saw the same deal on the reel + the incredible deal on the CT. Lots of folks, even experienced fly anglers and casters have held that rod in high praise.

Here is a review of the CT from some of the folks on our forum.

Redington CT (Classic Trout)

Years ago, I got a Cabelas Prestige setup and it wasn't bad to get me started, but found myself wanting to upgrade. Not that starter sets are an awful idea, it's an excellent way to put somebody on a stream with a fly rod for the least amount of money. The CT is a rod that he'd appreciate as he progresses through fly fishing, plus a lifetime warranty.

The good news for your brother-in-law is that no matter which option you choose, he'll get get a wonderful and thoughtful gift.
yonder likes this.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:25 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

wk5h:

don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but here's a complete outfit for your price range

Scientific Anglers Fly Rod Kit Choice of Bass Trout or Pan Fish Fly Masters | eBay

Also, if you want to spend a little more, and get items by piece.

You could get something in the price range of a Redington Rod, about a 6 weight, an Okuma Fly Reel ( to be matched also to the 6 wt rod, as any sales person can do for you unless they are an uninformed person in some "box store")

After that, I would comb ebay for a #6 Weight Fly Line either a Floating, or a "Floating line with a Sinking Tip" (the box will say FST for Floating... Sinking Tip.

Then get something like some "Rio" brand Leaders in about 7.5 feet length to start, and something for a "Tippet" in the range of #5 pound test Flourocarbon Tippet.

to start with Flies, all he needs is about 6 "Wooly Boogers" and he can find the rest on his own. That's really all you need to get him to started
Old 12-02-2012, 04:28 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Heresy

I'm going to be a real heretic here (and probably be made rude sport of), but I've used all of these and find them quite acceptable:

Rod: Eagle Claw 8'6" Black Eagle 2pc Fly Rod: Fishing & Marine : Walmart.com

Reel: Okuma SLV Super Large Arbor Fly Reel: Fishing & Marine : Walmart.com

Line: 3M Scientific Anglers Air Cell Fly Line, Weighted Forward, Green: Fishing & Marine : Walmart.com

Net: Cortland Catch and Release Bamboo Wooden Net: Fishing & Marine : Walmart.com
brucerducer likes this.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:12 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

I'm by no means a fly fishing expert, but I believe it's preferable to buy him a four-piece rod rather than a two-piece. The four-piece rod is much easier to travel with.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:25 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I have two of the Redingtons CT's,,,a 7 1/2ft 2wt,,and an 8 1/2 ft 3wt. I'd gotten the two wt and then found the CT's on sale for 64 dollars and COULD NOT pass that up. They are fine rods. They weren't designed to wooo the elite,,they were designed to catch fish. The plus side is,,they don't look bad at all. Since I've returned to my roots,,or ,,Returned to the Coven ,,as one might say,,this is about the best deal for the dollar I've seen. My first purchase was an Orvis Access,,as I fish not often were you need ...nor want,,,a rocket launcher..and I really like the Redington CT's just as good as my Orvis. Lifetime warranty too.
Some-wheres,,,perhaps Cabelas ??,,,I saw a few days ago, still had the CT's for 79 dollars. That's legal crime to get a rod that good that cheap.

There isn't anything to not love about the Redington CT deal.
yonder likes this.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

CaddisFlyShop.com is offering a Reddington 4-piece combo for $119.00.