The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 10:31 PM

wk5h is on a distinguished road
Default Need some help for a gift

My brother-in-law is truly a great guy, and in his line of work, he doesn't make a whole lot of money. I haven't exactly won the lottery myself, but, I do have enough for around ~$100 to spend on him a gift this Christmas, and the only thing I've heard him say he wants, is a fly fishing pole.

I myself have spent as much time fly fishing as I have petting unicorns, and have about the same knowledge of the two...

What are some good brands, types, etc of fly fishing poles that would both be a good starter, but, not something that's going to break after a few uses?

This is the first that I've heard him mention fly fishing, so, I'm going to assume that this is a new hobby he's considering getting into. He's researched enough to have some name brands in mind, such as Redington, but, that is honestly as much as I've heard him mention on the topic.

Many thanks to you far more experienced guys (and women, i'm sure) in advance.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Need some help for a gift

welcome to the forum
check out the redington ct rods.
they are currently on sale at cabelas-
Cabela's: Redington CT Classic Trout Fly Rods
a 9 foot 5 weight would be a great all around rod.
hope this helps

casey

ARFE
Old 11-29-2012, 10:42 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Redington CT is a good idea.. but then you leave him with having to buy a reel and line.. and you've made him invest another $100 or so into the rod..

Personally I would get him a Redington Crosswater Outfit.. can pick them up for around $100-$120.. Rod, Line, Reel all in one.. think it even comes with one leader.. So basically he puts it together and it's ready to fish

Though currently this is probably your best deal.. Cabela's Wind River outfit for only $60... Heard these a good solid starter kits.. 9' 5wt or 8'6" 5wt would be ideal
Cabela's: Cabela's Wind River Combo
Guest1 and oarfish like this.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:47 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

the ct has a rock solid lifetime warranty and is a much nicer rod than the crosswater or cabelas.
itchmesir and yonder like this.

ARFE
Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

That Cabela's thing sounds pretty sweet to me. You would even have a little money left for the other things like leaders maybe some flies. That would definately be the best bang for your buck.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:59 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Cabela's does have some combos of Rod, Reel, and Line for very good prices, but in my oppinion they leave a lot to be desired. The Redington CT Rod is a heck of a deal at $75 and will be more more enjoyable to fish than one of the Cabela's combos. You can find cheap reels on ebay or the Cabela's bargain cave. In reality they just hold the line and balance the rod, and occasionaly fight a larger fish. The Cabela's Wind River reel is on sale for $20 and will be hard to beat in that price range. Other ones to look at in the same price range would be the Pfluger Medalist and Martin reels. That just leaves a fly line, they start at arround $20 and go up from there. A lot of "premium" (Rio, SA, Cortland....) $60-$80 lines have been discontinued and can be found for $20-$40. Cabela's branded lines are all made by Cortland and are a pretty good line for the money.

Hope this helps in some way.

-Chase
jaybo41, itchmesir and yonder like this.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

When you do buy him a fly rod you'll have to decide the length of the rod and the weight (refers to the line weight the rod ideally casts) - it'll say something 9' 5wt. If you buy the rod in a local store the folks there can likely help you make those decisions as they'll know the fishing in the area. If you are looking to buy it online we can try to help. Let us know what part of the country he is in and if you know if he's going to be fishing for bass or trout or other fish that would help too.
itchmesir and yonder like this.

Last edited by williamhj; 11-29-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:22 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I purchased a redington ct from cabelas a few weeks ago. I really recommend this rod . You will be hard pressed to find a better deal on a quality rod with a lifetime warranty......just my humble opinion....of course.....good luck on your purchase.....that's a nice thing to do....

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 11-30-2012, 08:03 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The Scientific Anglers Species Specific Fly Fishing Outfits are around a hundred bucks. They come with everything you need and you can find them on-line or at the big sports stores like Dick's or Sports Authority. I used one earlier this season and was impressed

Quote:
Scientific Anglers has taken the mystery out of getting started in fly fishing. Now there is no more guess work. First we have designed kits for the species you are after - whether it is trout, panfish bass, saltwater species or a kit designed specifically for youth. Now the choice is easy. Then we made it easy to assemble. We have the line leader and tippet all spooled up on a quality disc drag reel. No messing with knots and the frustrations many experience rigging up their outfits. We have also taken the guesswork out of which flies you need to choose. We have inserted 3 flies appropriate for the species you are after. Oh, so you want more - well we just so happened to include a special 2 in 1 DVD with Fly Fishing Made Easy and Panfish and Bass with Larry Dahlberg. These videos will help you gain all the knowledge you need to truly master and enjoy the great sport of fly fishing.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:34 AM

inusuit will become famous soon enough

I bought a Reddington CT on sale at Cabelas back in September and haven't fished with anything else since then. I agree that a 9' 5 weight is probably the most versatile. I do not recommend the low end, i.e. $100 -$120 Cabelas rod/reel/line combinations. I bought one of those several years ago for my wife. We used it once and upgraded.
yonder likes this.