The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 10:44 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Deals you may want to look at

After reading reviews of Albright it seems I may as well just hold on to my cash and buy a rod that is $200 and still sits in the $200 range.. Or buy a $300 rod.. that is built for the $300 range.. From what I get about Albright.. their $900 rod that's "on sale" for $180.. and it's just that... a rod that's worth really no more than $180... Sales gimmicks that have pushed me away from buying an Albright Rod.. Reminds me of those commercials that tell you you can buy this rare collectable coin that's worth $500 for only $49.95!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:10 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

I have always heard that albright rods were good value for the money. Though the website shows a shocking MSRP, I have never seen them ask that much for it. Usually their standard price is just over 1/3 of that joke of a MSRP.

I hear good things about them, and hear that they compare favorably with rods costing more. For example, the 5wt shoot-out from George Anderson (everyone has a different opinion but it gives you an idea) ranked the albright A-5 (almost identical to the A-5 NS) above a pricy Orvis and a $640 Thomas and Thomas.

Fly Rod Comparison Albright G. Loomis Orvis Sage Scott Temple Fork Thomas & Thomas Tom Morgan Rodsmiths R.L. Winston rod testing

they're not Winston or Sage, but they are decent. Nice for the money.

Last edited by newby; 12-01-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:29 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

It just comes down to whether or not an item is work the price, to you. MSRP, sale price, clearance, whatever, sellers are trying to entice us to buy what they are selling at a price that maximizes their profit. In the end, an item is worth what someone will pay for it.

Whatever Albright's motivation for their sales, I think my Albright rods are well worth what I paid for them and I'd buy there stuff again based on my experience and the testimony of many others. Sales gimmicks don't bother me, it only matters if it's something I want at a price I'm willing to pay.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:25 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

What is their warranty like? anyone ever have to use it? I suppose I've spent more on a rod to be disappointed.. I may end up giving them a chance
Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

I checked their fly rods and one they list for $795 they say was named "best economical fly rod" in a 2007 shootout. So $795 is economical?
Old 12-03-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFlinger2421 View Post
I checked their fly rods and one they list for $795 they say was named "best economical fly rod" in a 2007 shootout. So $795 is economical?
in the fly fishing world.. anything under a $1000 is economical
Old 12-03-2012, 02:56 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFlinger2421 View Post
Yeah, that's the A-5 I was referring to earlier. The MSRP was $230 or so back then, and that included dealer's mark-up. Now they've cut out the costly middlemen, but added a nickel-silver reel seat and $550+ in MSRP. Either there's a lot of silver and not much nickel in that reel seat, or the "70% off" price that Albright usually advertises is the real retail value.

Still, the so-called "80% off" price at $150 is below both the original 2007 MSRP and the normal "70% off" price today, for a rod that placed in the middle of the pack in that shootout, and even ahead of some more expensive ones. So if you're looking for a good discount on an okay rod, now's a good time. But don't let the nosebleed-level MSRP fool you into thinking it's comparable to, say, the new Orvis Helios 2, when its real competition is the Orvis Clearwater.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:57 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
Sales gimmicks that have pushed me away from buying an Albright Rod.. Reminds me of those commercials that tell you you can buy this rare collectable coin that's worth $500 for only $49.95!!!
Unless it's on t.v., then it's "2 easy payments of $19.95" or something .

Marketing BS also tends to push me away from a sale, but if you don't care about that then I don't see a problem.

Personally, I use a $100 bass pro shops 6 weight that I absolutely love and have literally had in hand, fishing for between 12-20 hours every weekend for the past 5 months...plus some casting work during the week.

I can't possibly imagine what I'm "missing out on" with a more expensive rod -- this one casts wonderfully and catches fish...buying a "better" rod has never popped into my head. To hell with the other rods, I like mine and don't want to change

Whatever you buy, make sure you use the **** out of it. The most expensive rod I know is the one that sits propped in the corner unused. Don't confuse purchasing an expensive rod and/or gear with the actual experience of using the gear - a lot of people do that I think. I see it a lot with bicycles. They buy a mountain bike, hang it in the garage and never use it and think that they've somehow now experienced "riding through the woods" and being outside or something....it's kind of weird if you think about it.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:09 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Albright boots and waders on sale now.

:: Albright Fly Fish | Fly Rods | Fly Reels | Spin and Casting Rods | Reels | Rods

I've a fan or their topwater outfits for a beginner outfit at the sale price of $119.99. We use them in our classes.
williamhj likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-09-2012, 06:26 PM

right now.. buy a GP reel get a free extra spool