The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 09:22 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Deals you may want to look at

What would you use a 10' 6wt for? streamers? nymphs? both? also what kind of action does that A5 have?
Old 12-10-2012, 04:36 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
What would you use a 10' 6wt for? streamers? nymphs? both?
yes

Quote:
also what kind of action does that A5 have?
i believe its a Med-Fast
Old 12-10-2012, 08:05 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about

Compared to say a TFO or a Redington, how good are they?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:58 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
I can't bring myself to participate in Albright's game.

I've seen enough reviews of their stuff to know that it's worth what you can buy it for, in fact probably a bit more. I just hate the price advertising scam they have going on.

They show these extravagant MSRPs and then the sale price and it's all bull.

An MSRP of $900? Really? Do they have any retailers at all, let alone retailers that sell their stuff for those prices?

But they are on sale now for $175... OK, that is probably a decent deal on a fine piece of gear.
I bought one after a favorable review on the A5 5wt rod. Honestly it does compare to the action my Sage SLT, Winston BIIX that I bought 2 more. How could you go wrong with $120 rods that perform like these offerings from Sage and Winston. No they don't look as nice but when Montana trout are sizzling downstream with a 6x tippet, I handled them easily on my 4 or 5 wts. Had I not purchased these rods I would have purchased a Sage ZXL/ Z Axis, another Winston BIIX or St. Croix Legend. I've really enjoyed casting and fishing these rods that even at $150 today they're still a good buy. They are also lightweight and come with a case. Of course the downside is that these are made overseas.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:15 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I decided to pull the trigger on a Christmas present for myself but it isn't making it under the tree. I bought a 10 ft 8 wt GPX and also got the GP reel and sinking line for $170 shipped. At first glance it like looks a solid rod. The reel looks good as well. Once I get it all set up I'll go throw a line to some Cuttys at Pyramid and see if it was worth it.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:20 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Here's a review I found from December 2003 that compares the A-5 with the (now-discontinued) top-of-the-line EXS and the entry-level GP and Topwater. Synopsis: the 5-piece design impairs the action and feel a bit, but it's still a decent rod.

"Albright Rod Test - Fly Angler's OnLine

Perhaps more telling, reading between the lines, is that the same model has been on the market for at least 9 years now, and even back then when it was new and sold through retail dealers, its MSRP was under $200.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:24 AM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

So I talked my brother in law into buying an Albright 5wt and matching reel. Below is what he got. Taking the rod out the first thing I saw was a sticker "Made in Korea". Ok, let's get cracking.
We went to the Kern River Fly shop and bought a Rio Gold 5WT WF line. Went across the street to the Kern River and started throwing some dries. This is a nice rod but not worth the marked up price they were originally asking for. The current reduced prices are akin to what they're worth. My brother in law is happy with it.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last bit, that Rio Gold line is one sweet line. If you need a new line consider this one. Shoots great and the line colors identify the WF portion of the line.
The Kern River Fly shop is a great place to start your day. Very friendly, knowledgable, lots of flies to choose from. Vr
itchmesir likes this.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:35 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

So I'm gonna give Albright a shot.. Ended up ordering myself a couple xmas presents... Two of their GPX models.. 9' 10/11 wt for chucking T17 & T20 sink tips at the dams that line the big muddy.. and for chucking fluff at a couple muskies this year.. Hopefully will get my first muskie on the fly next year... And then I also ordered their 9'6" 7/8.. Hoping to use this on Salmon/Steelies.. Carp.. Smallies.. and whatever else I feel like fishing for.. But really was ordered to fill that Salmon/Steelie hole I had in my lineup...

So now with these purchases I've basically good from 3wt all the way to 11wt.. I still don't own a 5wt.. Sold my 5wt this past spring(really wish I wouldn't have done so).. But maybe that just gives me reason to invest in a 5wt glass rod ...As I'd like to add some glass to my rod collection

I'm hoping I really enjoy these two rods though.. I figured at $80/ea it was a pretty tough deal to pass up
Old 12-19-2012, 03:10 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
So I'm gonna give Albright a shot.. Ended up ordering myself a couple xmas presents... Two of their GPX models.. 9' 10/11 wt for chucking T17 & T20 sink tips at the dams that line the big muddy.. and for chucking fluff at a couple muskies this year.. Hopefully will get my first muskie on the fly next year... And then I also ordered their 9'6" 7/8.. Hoping to use this on Salmon/Steelies.. Carp.. Smallies.. and whatever else I feel like fishing for.. But really was ordered to fill that Salmon/Steelie hole I had in my lineup...

So now with these purchases I've basically good from 3wt all the way to 11wt.. I still don't own a 5wt.. Sold my 5wt this past spring(really wish I wouldn't have done so).. But maybe that just gives me reason to invest in a 5wt glass rod ...As I'd like to add some glass to my rod collection

I'm hoping I really enjoy these two rods though.. I figured at $80/ea it was a pretty tough deal to pass up
Did you get 4 or 5 piece rods? My BIL bought a 5 piece for motorcycle trips and it casts good but a little different than a 4 piece rod. I think it changes the flex a bit. Maybe a bit stiffer than a comparable 4 piece.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:20 AM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

Just an FYI, all "clearance, closeout or sale" items aren't covered by their warranty. You will need to purchase them at "full price" to get any benefit of their "awesome" warranty...

I purchased a set of their Trinity Waders last year in this sale, and after wearing them 2 times, they developed a pin hole leak right at the seam where the neoprene boot connects to the leg. In addition, I also purchased the Bridgestone Wading Boots, and promptly pulled out 2 of the eyelets the first time I put the boots on.

I called their customer service department, and they said to send them in and they would take care of me.

So, I boxed them up and sent them in on my dime.

About 2 weeks later, I get a call stating that they wouldn't be covering anything. The waders were on closeout and do not carry a warranty, even though it is clearly a manufacturer's defect. They also said the boots were my fault for not taking care of them, even though they were clearly NEVER worn before and the felt bottoms were bright white!

They said I could pay the difference from what I paid for the waders to the current price of the trinity waders and they would replace them. I purchased them for $99, and they were "on sale" on the website for $199. I would essentially be buying 2 pairs of waders.

As for the boots, they said if I paid $25, they would send me a new pair, but I already paid $25 for the intial pair that broke! So again, I would be buying another set of boots at the same price I initially paid!

All in all, poor customer service. When I asked to speak to the same guy that told me, "we would take care of it" on the phone, the guy said that it was him, but he couldn't do anything since it was company policy. When I reiterated that after I explained in detail over the phone what the problem was and that he promised to "take care of it", he again confirmed; but said his hands were tied. I then asked to speak to his manager and he said that he was out of the office, but he would relay the situation and get back to me.

A week later, I get a call from him saying that his manager told him that he could not budge on the waders (even though he admits it looks like a manufacturer defect), but he could replace the boots for free.

Honestly, I could care less about the boots, they are super cheap and not even worth $25, but to not budge on the waders!?!?!

In anycase, Albright is a company that WILL NOT stand behind their products. I was extremely dissapointed in how my situation was handled and I will not buy from them again. Buyer beware, you get what you pay for. I got sucked into their "price game" once, and I won't do it again.