The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 12:54 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Deals you may want to look at

These prices are as great as they are likely ever to be. I figured the forum members may want to check out the 80% off sale at Albright fly rods. I just got a $300.oo fly reel for $60.oo. I got it in the mail today. Has a drag that is really smooth. My Canadian friend got chest waders and boots for $85.oo total. This stuff is not going to be around for long at these prices.
ditz likes this.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:46 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Deals you may want to look at

Those prices are tough to pass up. Might have a new 7 wt under the tree. Thanks for the heads up Dan!
Old 12-01-2012, 02:22 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

anyone ever use their fly line?

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 AM ----------

Man... I may pop on a 10/11 for Muskie and big pike lures.. And then It'll be a good salt rod too come the day I hit the seas on the fly.. why did I have to see this thread...
Old 12-01-2012, 04:10 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never used the lines. I have bought two things from them. A 15' 10/11 wt. Two Hand rod and this 7/8 GP reel. I just got the reel today. Initial impression is great. Nice smooth drag. As you know, I love the heck out of the rod.

I looked at the boots and waders Bill got and they are awsome. At 85 bucks for the whole set you should be wearing a mask when you order them.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:32 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I can't bring myself to participate in Albright's game.

I've seen enough reviews of their stuff to know that it's worth what you can buy it for, in fact probably a bit more. I just hate the price advertising scam they have going on.

They show these extravagant MSRPs and then the sale price and it's all bull.

An MSRP of $900? Really? Do they have any retailers at all, let alone retailers that sell their stuff for those prices?

But they are on sale now for $175... OK, that is probably a decent deal on a fine piece of gear.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:39 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post

I've seen enough reviews of their stuff to know that it's worth what you can buy it for, in fact probably a bit more. I just hate the price advertising scam they have going on.

An MSRP of $900? Really? Do they have any retailers at all, let alone retailers that sell their stuff for those prices?

But they are on sale now for $175... OK, that is probably a decent deal on a fine piece of gear.
I agree, when you've watched their website for awhile you can see the silliness of their 'sales'. But if you want the product, buy it cause it's a good price, not cause it's a big sale
Old 12-01-2012, 03:25 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post

The MSRP is nonsense. Their sale price is almost always 70% off the supposed "MSRP", although 80% off is a further discount. For example, back before Albright went to a direct-sales business strategy and were still selling through dealers, their A-5 model had a MSRP of $225 and their XX had a MSRP of $335. Now, 5 years later, they've added maybe $10 worth of bling to the original designs, but they've also cut out the costly markups for the mfr's rep and retailer. There's just NFW that the real value of this year's models is anything close to the $750 "MSRP" stated on the website, although the current advertised "sale" price of $150 is probably a fair value. It's certainly cheaper than you would have paid for a slightly less tricked-out rod built on the same blank at a full-service retailer 5 years ago -- just not 80% cheaper.

So chase the bargain if you need some stuff, but remember that even the best Albright stuff is mid-price-point product, not high-end. It's all made in batch runs in Asian factories and shipped in lots to the US -- which is why they can offer it so cheap, and why they periodically run out of inventory, but also why it's no match for the top-of-the-line rods and reels from the best manufacturers priced at similar (or often lower) MSRPs. These were never more than average, mid-range rods, and still aren't. They are comparable to Redington, TFO, and Greys, but not Loomis, Sage, and Winston.
imxer likes this.

Last edited by moucheur2003; 12-01-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:38 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
These prices are as great as they are likely ever to be. I figured the forum members may want to check out the 80% off sale at Albright fly rods. I just got a $300.oo fly reel for $60.oo. I got it in the mail today. Has a drag that is really smooth. My Canadian friend got chest waders and boots for $85.oo total. This stuff is not going to be around for long at these prices.
You got the GP reel, Dan? Hard to beat $60 for a good disc drag reel. Do you like the overall quality? For a die cast reel, does it fit tightly, no slop, etc?

thanks
Old 12-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
You got the GP reel, Dan? Hard to beat $60 for a good disc drag reel. Do you like the overall quality? For a die cast reel, does it fit tightly, no slop, etc?

thanks
Yah it seems to be a pretty nice reel. No slop, nice smooth drag with a low start up.

On another note, they only do this at the end of each year. They get rid of the last years models and will sell next years at the high price for almost the entire year then repeat the cycle. I agree that it seems like a game. I think more likely is that it is just a really bad marketing strategy. At some point to many people will catch on to the year end sale and that will end up being the only time they sell stuff. I think you are underestimating the reallity of this deal vs. normal pricing. When I bought my 15' 10/11 wt spey rod from them, I paid so little for it that I could not build the handle for what they charged me. I couldn't get a blank for what they charged me. They are losing money on this.

If I were in charge over there, I'd sell stuff full price all year and then dump what was left at that sale price or higher to someplace like overstock.com or Sierra Trading post. Give them some room for profit and not train people to kill my bottom line.

But since their marketing folks are willing to do it this way, we might as well take advantage of it till they wise up.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:25 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i have followed albright and there "sales" for a while now.
certainly not a very good sale price to msrp price ratio.......
although, 3 years ago i bought one of there gp 7'6" 4 wt. fly rods and a bugati 3/4 reel.
i payed a mere 44.00 for the rod and 45.00 for the reel which qualified me, at the time, for free shipping.
it also qualified me for a free topwater 5/6 fly reel and an extra spool for the bugati.
the reels were very nice for the cost but are both long gone(sold), but the rod remains one of my favorites. it currently sits with a classic system one reel ready to fish another day.

casey

ARFE