The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 12:48 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New wading boot time!

Hearasy in Bozeman.. but Simms boots, are the only Simms product I would no longer buy. I still have a few pairs, ok for wading in gravel, etc, but I'll disagree with the above post, the vibram soles are like ice skates if you get in moss covered rocks in late summer here

Korker Chromes or Metalheads - more comfortable, good weight, and I like changing out the soles. Felt or rubber in the boat, and felt + stufds or rubber + studs on wade trips.

Earlier Korkers, the sole design.. well.. was terrible, I lost one sole in silt, sucked it right off, the new ones are much better, and the BOA system has been great.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:57 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Thanks for the input to all. I'll be looking in Jan. I haven't ruled out Frogg Togg's, nor the others mentioned.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:11 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Have to agree with the comment above vis a vis the 'original' Korker build. Good friend had them and they fell apart in two seasons. The NEW Chrome's are a far better boot on several different levels.
fae
No actually I'm 99% sure his are the Chromes as well.. They are grey and have the BOA system..the first pair I believe he said the bottoms were coming unglued.. and the second pair the sides are all busted out.. Where's Ted to clear this up.. He's the member I'm talking about
Old 12-03-2012, 02:38 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
No actually I'm 99% sure his are the Chromes as well.. They are grey and have the BOA system..the first pair I believe he said the bottoms were coming unglued.. and the second pair the sides are all busted out.. Where's Ted to clear this up.. He's the member I'm talking about
Well that sounds like the new ones, which is what I have, and they're going strong after 2 years of pretty good work outs. Wonder aloud if he just got a 'Lemon?'

Fred
Old 12-03-2012, 03:14 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Don't get me wrong.. I do have an older pair of Korkers myself.. one of the "shoe" styles.. And they are a nice pair of wet wading shoes and still don't see the issue with the "old style" of soles.. beyond that they are a pita to change out compared to the new ones.. But I also only paid $40 for them because they were being discontinued for the newer.. current style of soles
Old 12-03-2012, 03:52 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

im in the market for new boots as well. here in MO they made felt soles illegal in our trout parks to keep from spreading a form of alge. the boots i have now are felt soles but they said if you sealed the felt up in someway it would work as well. so i did mine with sho-goo..which worked and they do hold up well but they are slick as snot now. actually fell a few times this past weekend. most of our streams here have a pretty good abundance of moss on the rocks and makes for slippery footing.
i have been looking at either the Simms boots or the Korkers. the korkers look like a nice boot but i have heard the issues some on here have had but its a hard choice to make for sure. i like the idea of the changeable soles like the Korkers have but for what i would use them for im not sure if they would be that big of a diffrence maker for me.
the simms with Vibram soles look nice and about the same price but also dont know anyone that has them or uses them in the area that i could talk to to make a firm decition on which one to go with.
need to take a little more time and do some more looking before i make a choice i guess and try and talk to some people that have these and see what they say about them.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:25 PM

rapman is on a distinguished road

I'm happy with my Korkers too, although I haven't put a lot of miles on them yet. The felt sole is thin, so they're not as heavy as some others when wet, and the interchangeable soles are handy when walking to and from the water. Saves wear and tear on the felts.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:36 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

It looks like a good time to recycle a post I just made elsewhere about the boots I now prefer...

I went with the Korkers this spring after wearing out both Chota and Simms Guide boots.
My predicament is that my feet morph during the course of a day’s fishing. Those dogs of mine can swell up and go back down to normal and back several times during a long day on the river. The new Korker Chrome boots have a very slick lacing system that I think was derived from downhill ski boots. They use stainless steel cables to lace the boots and a knob/button gizmo for adjusting the tension on the laces. I just reach down and either pull the knob out to loosen the laces or turn the knob to tighten them. Their Boa lacing system is a great adaptation for wading boots and is a system that is guarenteed for the life of the product it is used on. It sure seems better than swapping out broken Chota laces all season.
The material the boots are made of is the same stuff heavy-duty inflatable rafts are made of. That makes them durable, non-shrinking (Very much unlike my Chota STL's and Simms Guide boots), very light weight and allows them to dry very quickly. That's a good feature if you worry about spreading invasives to your watersheds. The Simms and Chota's were very comfortable once you got them soaked, until you did they were total torture devices! The Chrome's don't need a presoak to make them fit or comfortable.
The fit is just about perfect and the overall support is best in class.
The generation 3 sole mounting system seems quite adequate. Besides have a large tab in front to lock the toe area in and a strong rubber strap to lock the heel area in, the soles have ridges around the outer perimeter that snap into receptors on the boot itself. To lose a sole on these would have to involve operator error in my opinion.
Some models come with two soles as seen here: Fishing Wading Boot | Chrome | Korkers
The rubber Klingon soles are great for walking to a river for traction and to save wear and tear on the felt (studded or not) I usually use on the river. Having the ability to allow soles to dry out while using other soles again helps keep stuff like rock snot from spreading.
The Chromes ain't your Grandpas wading boots and are light years ahead of most other boots I've looked at lately including Korkers earlier offerings
cletus likes this.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:31 AM

ramset is on a distinguished road

I'm very happy w/ my Korkers Metalheads. Agree that rubber is super slick on any moss covered rock, and I also found the patagonia rock grip alum. bars to be VERY slick on rocks. Spent some time "skating" around the boulders of the gallatin, and promptly sold them. They worked ok on an alaska trip, but since were horrible for wading. Can't go wrong w/ the Korkers metalhead paired w/ a svelte 2 sole. Best traction yet.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:41 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Korkers!

The KGB boot is stellar and shockingly light - as are all of there boots. Since switching over from Simms, I am amazed at how much easier a long day on the water is. Way less leg fatigue at the end of the day.

Plus, the interchangeable soles are rather nice and they grip everything I have thrown at them so far!
woodrivertroutbum likes this.