The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 07:02 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default New wading boot time!

So I'm trying to decide on a multipurpose boot here. I will need something super light, in lieu of my knee surgery. Here's the scenario: Creek wading for trout... not large bodies of water but some do have shale bottoms. River fishing for warm water species...climbing up and down about a 60 foot rock shoreline. Felts are legal in all bodies of water I fish. However, it's near suicide to be climbing the rocky shore line with felts. My wader's are Frogg Togg guide pants. I'm hoping you all can bring light to this for me. I am kinda lost ATM.
Thanks!
Mike
Old 12-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New wading boot time!

80% off sale on Albright wading bootshave a look...
frntrnge likes this.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:28 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Thanks for the response my friend. But I need guidance on which boot is very light and what sole is best overall for me.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:03 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Korkers with svelte 2 soles redsides light weight , better boot metal heads but heaver. Svelte better traction than felt or rubber. I prefer Korkers than any other boot on the market including Simms.I like the option of changing soles.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:28 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a big fan of Simms boots. Either the Freestone or Rivershed if you can swing it will be light and supportive. Add studs when you need them--which is mandatory on those shale bottom streams we fish. I've been fishing Riversheds since my knee was scoped and haven't had any issues. Oh, and my preference is for the Viabram soles.

Call me old school, but boots with BOA laces and interchangeable soles just seem like something that could fail on the river or on a trail.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:44 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also a great fan of the Korker Chromes. Many bottom choices including one that has SERIOUS spikes. Not the dinkey things you see on the bottom of most boots, but bottom of logging boot spikes. Some time in early December they're coming out with a 'new' bottom with Aluminum bars.

Easiest boot to get on/off I've ever owned. When you pull the 'boot tongue' forward you've an opening the size of a one gallon bucket. Boa lace up system is a total treat. Just screw the knob until you've got as much support as you want.
woodrivertroutbum and cletus like this.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

After watching a fellow forumers 2 pairs of Korkers go to absolute sh*t in the time that I've owned my Simms Freestones.. I'll stick with my Simms.. Vibram bottoms.. it's like glue on rocks.. and they still look like new... and i easily put in 100+ days on the water per year
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:49 AM

bmik is on a distinguished road

I too would recommend Korkers. I have the Redsides and find them light and comfortable. Mine came with the rubber & studded rubber soles. I later picked up the felt and studded felt so I'm ready for any situation. After a year of hard fishing I am very pleased with them, the soles are easy to change and the price is right.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:12 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
After watching a fellow forumers 2 pairs of Korkers go to absolute sh*t in the time that I've owned my Simms Freestones.. I'll stick with my Simms.. Vibram bottoms.. it's like glue on rocks.. and they still look like new... and i easily put in 100+ days on the water per year
Have to agree with the comment above vis a vis the 'original' Korker build. Good friend had them and they fell apart in two seasons. The NEW Chrome's are a far better boot on several different levels.
fae
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:30 PM

dar is on a distinguished road

Orvis is having a sale on their River Guard Ultralite boot. My buddy has a pair and really likes them. I have a pair of the River Guard Easy on Brogue and think they are the best pair of boots I have ever worn. Unfortunatley they are not on sale, but the Ultralites are.

Sale Wading Boots | 25% Off Wading Boots Discount | Fly Fishing -- Orvis

Dave