The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 10:29 PM

lotech_joe has a spectacular aura aboutlotech_joe has a spectacular aura about
Default Change of Heart-or Legs

Up until recently, I have primarily been a fly fisherman for trout. However, since my legs started giving out on me I've sold both my pontoon boat and float tube. I'm now finding myself fishing out of a 12' jon boat, and my target species has increased to include crappies, bluegills, bass & perch. Consequently, my fly tying has also change from trout flies to flies that resemble jigs for the spiny rays. What I'm working on now are jig looking flies made with streamer or nymph hooks, marabou tails and ultra chenille bodies. No hackles at all. Palmered or otherwise. If I tie one with a white tail and a red body, it resembles a red & white small tube jig generally associated with jig for crappies. While I have yet to catch a crappie on one, I did manage to bring a tiger musky to hand this last summer. I'm just curious if anyone else is migrating to other species the same way I am.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:36 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change of Heart-or Legs

I started with bass at the same I started fly fishing for trout. This was because the part of Michigan I was living in didn't have much local trout fishing but had a GREAT stretch of small mouth river and some nice ponds for topwater largemouth and panfish. I think bass are a blast. On summer evenings, I'd catch them on a swung wooly bugger until it started getting dark. Then the river would come alive as bass rose for ephrons and hex flies. I'd switch over to dries and catch them till it was time to go home. I still need to find small mouth water here in Denver
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:40 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

It it has fins.. I'll try to catch it on the fly.. I'm an equal opportunity fisherman
mcnerney and brucerducer like this.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:43 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

I am thinking fly fishing for carp is going to be an addiction of mine.
mcnerney, tbblom and itchmesir like this.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Joe,

I've lived in quite a few places and while in Rome I fished for the Romans. I don't know when or if I will have mobility problems but I will probably do as you do but if there are any trout or salmon within 300 miles it may be tough to keep me outta them.

Ard
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
It it has fins.. I'll try to catch it on the fly.. I'm an equal opportunity fisherman
That pretty much sums it up for me also. Location however makes for what has fins somewhat restricted. Before I moved here I used to fish primarily for Largemouth with some Musky tossed in. I had the Bass right there and the Musky fairly close. So Ard's "while in Rome I fished for the Romans" is a pretty appropriate line also. When my legs start to go I will still fish for the 'Romans', I just might need to adapt to do it. I may someday be the first guy with a pontoon attachment for his hovaround.
mcnerney and itchmesir like this.

Last edited by Guest1; 12-02-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 AM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
That pretty much sums it up for me also. Location however makes for what as fins somewhat restricted. Before I moved here I used to fish primarily for Largemouth with some Musky tossed in. I had the Bass right there and the Musky fairly close. So Ard's "while in Rome I fished for the Romans" is a pretty appropriate lina also. When my legs start to go I will still fish for the 'Romans', I just might need to adapt to do it. I may someday be the first guy with a pontoon attachment for his hovaround.
DiverDan, you may be onto something here! Put a small trolling motor on a stable pontoon/raft... someone needs to start putting these on the water.

As far as mobility goes, I'm sure I'm in the same boat y'all are in. If and when it becomes an issue for me I'll be sure to throw a line wherever I can to whatever I can!
Old 12-02-2012, 12:06 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I started with bass at the same I started fly fishing for trout. This was because the part of Michigan I was living in didn't have much local trout fishing but had a GREAT stretch of small mouth river and some nice ponds for topwater largemouth and panfish. I think bass are a blast. On summer evenings, I'd catch them on a swung wooly bugger until it started getting dark. Then the river would come alive as bass rose for ephrons and hex flies. I'd switch over to dries and catch them till it was time to go home. I still need to find small mouth water here in Denver
That pretty much sums it up for me. I don't have mobility issues, but given that there are lots of great smallie streams around me, I have begun to fish for them when the trout fishing here dies down during the summer months. Smallies are great fun and I try to make sure I'm able to hit the white fly hatch every year. Just as described, strip streamers until dark and then throw ephrons and hexes until it's time to get home.
williamhj likes this.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:23 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

just need one of those duck boats or whatever they are called that they have at Wisconsin Dells that have wheels on the bottom but floats like a boat.. but in wheelchair form
Old 12-02-2012, 01:39 PM

lotech_joe has a spectacular aura aboutlotech_joe has a spectacular aura about

Here is a picture of some of the bugs I'm talking about. I figure they ought to work well for crappies.

Click the image to open in full size.
itchmesir likes this.